main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Yep, my dad puzzled a while over Darth's second name and finally settled on "Darth Skywalker" because he knew "Darth" was Luke's father. [face_tee_hee]

jaqen likes this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It was actually kind of funny. After leaving TPM in theatres, my dad knew enough to know that "Anakin Skywalker" was Darth Vader and that "they have to make more movies to explain how that kid became Darth Vader right?" But then I told him that "you know that old Senator guy, well he becomes the Emperor in the old movies" and he was like "oh ok, that makes sense."

It's kind of interesting what non-hardcore SW fans remember and what they don't sometimes.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Your dad was much further along than the people who left TPM still thinking they were watching the story of 10 year old Luke Skywalker.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    To be fair, he did take me to see ROTJ years before, so he at least had SOME foundation there.

5. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I took my Dad to see TLJ and - since he hadn't actually seen TFA - asked if he wanted me to explain what happened in it. "Not really, i'm sure i'll pick it up. I mean, it's Star Wars, not David Lynch" he said. I feel like that's been my unofficial SW mantra ever since.

His greatest disappointment turned out to be that the female lead wasn't Jyn, as Rey is - and I quote - 'an absolute wet blanket'.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    And if Kathleen Kennedy and Bob Iger doesn't care about the criticism, JJ Abrams will don't make any damage control. It's not his job decide if Lucasfilm need or not make it and seems to me that KK is a Kylo stans like Rian so..

7. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    Can we just talk about the deleted line seen in the DVD documentary, with Luke telling Rey:
    “You opened yourself to the darkside for a pair of pretty eyes!”

Who talks that way about their own nephew? The Skywalkers are...just not right.[face_hypnotized]

8. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    The line is cringeworthy but also sounds like something Mark would say, so I'm wondering if it might have been an ad-lib on his part lol.

9. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Let's not and just pretend that it doesn't exist. [face_sick]

10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Luke: You opened yourself to the darkside for a pair of pretty eyes!
    Rey: You are talking about Chewie?
    [​IMG]

11. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, that kinda sounds like Mark Hamill is making a joke about Rian Johnson’s script.

DarthTalonx and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  12. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    Hopefully!

It certainly sounds like he's in character when he says it.

13. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    That line sounds exactly like how RJ views Rey. Thank goodness we finally got a girl Jedi hero so she could be reduced to a moron motivated by hormones. What girl can resist a hot homicidal maniac? It’s like life.

kalzeth, wobbits, DarthTalonx and 7 others like this.
  14. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The face for older fans that witnessed 4-6 first, perhaps. I think the hate the prequels get widespread across the web undermines how popular they actually are amongst younger fans.

Remember that star wars began to fade out after jedi. Considered classics, of course, with a more niche(while still large) following that would keep the films in constant discussion.

Star wars has not died since 1999. Even though the discussions range from all the films released, because of the prequels and what they did for the universe as a whole, has kept the series in constant discussion.

Im not one to answer but I would not be surprised if prequel characters were the face of star wars, for many.

-LordSkywalker-, SomeLoser and jaqen like this.
  15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    This is a "Pride and Prejudice" reference .. right? Right? ...???

I'm very hesitant about posting here btw - three months on, three viewing and I had the book on my lap yesterday, read the prologue but couldn't get into the rest of the story. In this time, watched "Rogue One" unintentionally another three times (cable seemed to have it on repeat) - and at the end of the day, all I can still surmise is that TLJ simply wasn't enjoyable for me to watch. No amount of logic, reasoning, explanation or threats can change my innate emotional response to these two films - Rogue Ones still makes me feel on a high by the end. TLJ makes me feel irritated, bored and angry. If you look back at my earlier posts, I was really rooting for Rian (personally by all accounts, a very sweet and genuine guy - who just happened to tell a Star Wars story that I couldn't relate to) - to say that I'm still gutted that I still feel like this about his film is well .. true.

Anyway. Onward. My annoyance of Rey's blandness in this film is second only to what was done to Luke. And Finn. And Leia. And Hux. Ah well. It's only a movie. Right?

16. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    I believe it is, yep.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    That's literally a line from 2 Fast 2 Furious. Congratulations everybody. [face_party]

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Darth Hater

Darth Hater Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2016
    I would buy plenty of OWK from ANH and QGJ action figures since I like their characters.

Will these "reboots/reimages/re-whatevers" have the same staying power as the source material? It would be an interesting experiment to ask a class of art students to draw Captain Kirk and see who was drawn -- 1960s Shatner vs 1980-1990 Shatner vs Chris Pine. I'd place my money on 1960s Shatner

PendragonM likes this.
  20. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    OH. DEAR GOD. PLEASE. NO.

21. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Realistic question:

Leia is female. Snoke senses unbelievable raw power in Ben Solo. Leia gave birth to Ben Solo. Wouldn't Leia be deemed the more powerful asset, instead of Luke?

22. SomeLoser

SomeLoser Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2018
    I do have to say, I've never thought about that. For all the hate the prequels get, they revitalized Star Wars, at least by bringing it back into spotlight.

kalzeth and DarthTalonx like this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Not necessarily, Shmi wasn't force sensitive when Anakin was born. The Force seems to manifest somewhat randomly in non-force sensitive families.

For example, Obi-Wan was a Jedi, but his parents were almost certainly Muggles.

24. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Yes; this is certainly more interesting than what we got.

When I think back to ROTJ, I always remember:

Vader: Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... [pauses] Sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.​

Luke: [revealing himself] NEVER! [attacks Vader ferociously, eventually backing him onto a railing and cutting off his right hand. He stands over Vader for a moment.]

The only thing that broke Luke's resolve was the the idea of Vader corrupting his sister. Why wouldn't they expand on this by making Leia the next new hope for the galaxy while simultaneously using the Skywalker twins relationship further test and evolve both characters. There are so many directions in which this could have gone and all of them are more compelling that TLJ.

I hadn't thought about it until I re-watched the saga to cheer myself up after TLJ. Now that Ive thought about it, I cant shake how awesome this could have been.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    She would have to be because not even Palpatine could fly back up the ledge that Vader threw him off. Unless, the force was blocking him from doing that. Leia, flew back to the ship after having been blastded out.

kalzeth and ChildOfWinds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.