main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Plot Holes in the CT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Klingon Padawan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That would only make sense if we actually saw someone try to restrain Threepio and Artoo.

2. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I concur!

"Lies, deception are the Rebels way."

The Empire not obliterating the Rebels. Tarkin and the Emperor held them back. Vader would have truly ended the conflict once and for all. This.

3. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Jawas did restrain R2-D2. Have you seen the films?

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, but we're talking about ROTJ, not ANH. No one uses a restraining bolt on Artoo in ROTJ. Nor attempts to do so.

5. Scott109

Scott109 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2016
    Vader is Grand Moff Tarkin's henchman in A New Hope but suddenly becomes second in command to the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back.

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    My own theory about this includes: the Death Star is Tarkin's to command, and the Emperor made that clear to Vader; otherwise, Vader wouldn't be subordinate to Tarkin. Also, I think they have a mutual respect for one another, unlike, say, Hux and Kylo Ren.

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Based on the original ANH premise (Tarkin was considering becoming Emperor himself!) Vader was just a Sith Lord employed by the Galactic Empire.

In retroactive continuity / hindsight him and the Emperor kept a low profile among Imperial officers to look weaker than they actually were, which helped them to take care of 'over-ambitious' officers should these develop delusions of grandure.

I think I finally found an ANH plot hole:

DODONNA The battle station is heavily shielded
    and carries a firepower greater than
    half the star fleet. It's defenses
    are designed around a direct large-
    scale assault. A small one-man fighter
    should be able to penetrate the outer
    defense.

Apparently they evaluated all the Death Star defense mechanisms.

GOLD LEADER How many guns do you think, Gold
    Five?

GOLD FIVE
    I'd say about twenty guns. Some on
    the surface, some on the towers.

Didn't the plans analyzed by the Alliance earlier provide the exact figures for the exhaust port trench? Or did Gold Leader and Gold Five not prepare sufficiently prior to take-off? [face_thinking]

Apropos, I'm currently doing an in-depth investigation of all the turbo-laser tower VFX models (to determine their in-universe size differences) in ANH and ROJ and am in desperate need for accurate measurements of the VFX models, i.e. the small Mark I ANH turbo-laser tower (used on the ANH Death Star surface VFX model), the Mark II ROJ turbo-laser tower (smallest VFX model of them all) and the Mark III ROJ turbo-laser tower (largest ROJ VFX model). In case ANYONE reading this can help with dimension figures of these original three VFX ILM models, please send me a PM.

Here is the large turbo-laser tower model from ROJ (supposed to be 15 inches tall):

[​IMG]

Here is a useful link with model overview and measurements: https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/individual-lots/?key=Death+Star+gun+tower

Alas, no link to the large (above illustrated) ROJ turbo-laser tower that supposedly sold in 2012 for the impressive sum of 92,500 $. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Tosche_Station likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If you watch "Rebels" and "Rogue One", you'll see that Vader was in charge of the Imperial Navy and Tarkin took control of the Death Star itself. Also, if you take note in the film itself, Vader isn't entirely subservient to Tarkin. He is the one who comes up with the plan to track down the Rebel base and he isn't given orders by Tarkin, other than being told to stop choking Motti. ANH also doesn't show much of the Imperial fleet. We see the Devastator and two other Star Destroyers. So when you watch the films, there really isn't much of an inconsistency.

If you will note, none of the pilots look at the precise details of the plans. They're only told about the station having a large number of turbolasers and where they will have to target. So when they discuss how many weapons that they see, it is reasonable to not know everything.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.