main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Ugh, why did Spielberg cave on that?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I can't think of a single thing it needs to do.

3. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I always thought it made sense to do a prequel trilogy for obvious reasons, but I instinctively never understood the point of a sequel trilogy, introducing new characters and plot to a story that's already complete. Turns out I was right.

I really wish Disney had left the saga alone, and stuck with anthology movies and a completely new saga if they wanted.

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    That's not the point. I meant that the discussions around the ST were probably similar, given how it turned out. :)

5. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    We no way of knowing what sort of movie we are even talking about. I do know, however, the idea of an anthology movie set before The Force Awakens does not immediately excite me the way the idea of Rogue One leading into the events of A New Hope did. In fact, it seems boring. The ST is written so poorly its made Star Wars boring. Its unbelievable, but here we are.

Also, I contend I did not not know the outcome. I was aware of an event (destruction of the first death star) which could not have happened without the occurrence of events of Rogue One, but I didn't know the "outcome". The awareness of future events did not give me clairvoyance enough to know how the journey would unfold, just that there is an event later that is dependent upon the crew of Rogue One succeeding.

6. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    So.. what you're saying is: We are "they".

jaqen likes this.
  7. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Fine if that's the case. Just show some reverence and respect to the OT characters. That did NOT happen. It's a shame that LFL could have made more money with a little more creativity and thought in how to handle the OT characters with out killing them or deconstructing them. Big mistake that will be felt down the road.

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I can see your point. The thing is, for me, I really got into Star Wars through the EU. Specifically, the Young Jedi Knights. Heck, I read 'Heirs of the Force' maybe six times before I had even finally sat down and watched A New Hope from start to finish. And no, I'm not joking. So for me... the OT is almost like a prequel to what got me into Star Wars. I know how odd that sounds... but for me, that's how I see it.

9. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018

Wait.. um..
    1. Rey isnt a Jedi
    2. How would she know what is central to a Jedi's life. She has had no training...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    DarthTalonx, 2Cleva, Hopeless and 4 others like this.
  10. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    I think the reason it was too late is because (and I apply the possibility of this to TLJ in correlation with Luke's death) ....those of us that saw him die on screen didn't trust Hasbro not to kill him again, so right after the resurrrection TV episode was over -- we didn't tune in again. TV show fell off the ratings in America and that was it.

Hopeless and Shadao like this.
  11. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Those who are great still have to train heavily at it. You think Michael Phelps would have gotten all those medals if he didn’t go to the gym or train? Having potential is not the same as just possessing greatness without putting any effort in at it. That is the problem many have with Rey.

12. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    The fact that Vader was still shown as a monster to the galaxy to the point it ruined Leia's political career 20 years later shows that the redemption most Reylo fans want makes no sense. They don't want Kylo to be redeemed and die, or god forbid, get his pretty face messed up in a lava accident. They don't want him to be imprisoned indefinitely for his crimes. Most of them want Rey and Kylo to skip happily off into the sunset together, reform Luke's Jedi Order and have Jedi babies. How would that even work? Vader was redeemed but paid the ultimate price for it.

Also, whenever I hear that Rey and Kylo need to restart Luke's Jedi Order, all I can think of is how will they sell that to the prospective parents of the Jedi kids to send their kids there? "Hey, the co-teacher of the Jedi Academy slaughtered the last Jedi apprentices but don't worry he's totally reformed now!" It's like bringing back a mass school shooter to be the co principal of a new school?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They have to, creditably and plausibly:
    • Take out Hux
    • Take out Ren
    • Defeat the First Order
    • Restore the Republic / Jedi
    I'm not seeing that as being done by a single 2-2.5 hour movie.

DarthTalonx and RK_Striker_JK_5 like this.
  14. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    Rey turns Ren and he takes out the FO. That will take about 30 seconds.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You did read the terms "creditably" and "plausibly", right? ;) I'm not saying your scenario can't happen, just that it'd probably really hack people off.

Still, if the ST is on the road of New Jedi Order, a book series that Del Rey doggedly stuck to, that had majority fan approval for alongside massive controversy a la TLJ.... Then, it is inevitable a part of the series will infuriate and fracture that fanbase, much as Star By Star did to NJO fans. In this picture, it will be noted there is no sign of a The Unifying Force-style conclusion that just about makes all the aggro worthwhile.

ChildOfWinds and eko32eko7 like this.
  16. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    Rebuild the Resistance/Rebel Alliance and explain the state of the galaxy on screen. Post-IX projects might depend on this.
    Solve the Villain Problem. It's a problem regardless of what they do with Kylo (redemption arc or nah). No1currs about round 3 of Rey vs. Kylo. The only novel outcome would be Kylo finally winning or both ending up dead (I would love this, so t's not going to happen). Hux is a joke and won't work as a "common enemy" to unite Reylo, IDC what the ppl on r/swspeculation say.

I assume Rey's going to build her own saber using the crystals from Anakin's and read the Jedi books. Then do Force stuff better than anyone has ever done Force stuff before in the history of the universe because she's the galaxy's ultimate life form and possibly the cosmic egg incarnate.

17. jkalos

jkalos Jedi Padawan

Jan 19, 2018
    Can you believe we got Luke milking sea cows, Chewie and porgs, angry fish nuns, Kylo shirtless, and NOT THIS:

"Question to MH: There’s a deleted scene included in The Last Jedi bonus features where Luke mourns Han’s death. Walk us through that.

Answer: I went back to my room and just thought back on not only my love and admiration for Han Solo but for Harrison Ford. When Rian said, “Cut,” I felt my face was wet. I put my hands to my face and there were tears. And I didn’t say, “I’m going to cry.” I didn’t even realize I had shed a tear."

Who would cut that????????

18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The last item on your last can be inferred to or hinted at, after the resolution of the film.

It's only those first three things that need to be done onscreen.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but they really whacked up the scale of the FO in TLJ.

About the only way to solve it is another total, instant galactic collapse a la ROTJ SE way back when - which I can't see going down well.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Oh God, there was an EXTENDED fathier scene? And to think I complained about the pod race...........

22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    At least the pod race was actually somewhat well-constructed.

eko32eko7, La Calavera and Shadao like this.
  23. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Killing Optimus Prime was a rational decision at the time. His original toy was released in 1984 and, by the time of the Transformers movie, it was 1986 and the original run of toys had come to an end. Even if they made “Kung Fu Grip” Optimus Prime, it’s doubtful he would’ve sold as well, so they made a calculated risk with the new futuristic Transformers. I don’t think they would’ve sold well either way, but it made for one hell of a movie.

Same thing happened in pro-wrestling, when Hulkamania was all but dying off heading into the 90’s. The WWF decided to have Warrior supplant him. Was Warrior more successful than Hogan? Of course not, but when Hogan came back in 1991, he wasn’t as successful as Hulk Hogan circa 1986 either.

Change is inevitable. Even Luke has to be written out of Star Wars at some point because Mark Hamill can’t live forever. I think, despite Luke’s popularity (and he is basically the hero of the whole Saga), there’s plenty of things to build around in the Star Wars Galaxy that aren’t Luke. I doubt they have the same soul Luke’s character brought to the Saga, though.

eko32eko7 and jaqen like this.
  24. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I can see it happening :

Point 1 & 2 : pretty easy : one will probably kill the other (we might even see a mutual kill)
    Point 3 : With Renperor as a leader, the FO will be on the verge of collapsing. Our heroes will just need to push a little...
    Point 4 : Restoring the Republic isn't necessary : just leave it divided and in shambles. (will provide more seeds for future stories, and ensure we don't get Empire vs Rebels, Act III)

Now, while all those points are credible, i never said they would make a good story.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  25. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I’m seeing the end of Fight Club with Kylo and Rey holding hands as the First Order explodes around them. They don’t have to get into the restoration of the Republic (since it’s Abrams, I’m guessing it’s left incredibly vague).

Mostly Handless likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.