main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Time Travel - Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by vnu, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Not sure where to post this so mods can move it to an existing thread if they want, but so upset after watching the final couple episodes of Rebels. (Thank the Maker that series is over)

Essentially, it opened the gateway to time travel. This opens the gateway to more 'canons' and possibly even the Prequel Trilogy being completely remade - i.e. 'George Lucas's versions are trash' - has been open. Our worst fears have been realized.
    I understand the 2 or 3 people who enjoy the Disney canon are like 'Disney has said there is only one canon', but JJ Abrams and the Powers That Be at Disney have openly criticized the Prequel Trilogy.
    It's amazing to me how 30 years of books, video games, and comics Legends brought in Zero time travel. That was the big thing in Star Wars for me, the whole 'There is one timeline and we don't even think of introducing the POSSIBILITY of time travel because it gets into the POSSIBILITY of other timelines.' The Disney canon is barely 5, 6 years old and they're already introducing time travel.

#NotMyCanon

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    It's also possible legends could be "recanonized" as part of the multiverse or something to that effect.

As for time travel it did exist in legends but was an extremely rare occurrence in-universe and had little bearing on the progression of the story or the development of characters.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Time_travel

As it is-I'm not happy Rebels introduced it both for the reasons you mentioned and because it ripped off the Wood Between the Worlds scenes in the Magican's Nephew(unless they specifically stated it was homage it which case fine).

As for decanonizing or otherwise marginalizing the prequel trilogy-well they've done that already in the ST and Rogue One. If they declare it non canon and reboot it they would and they will likely do the latter at some point or another-not that I like that I am a prequel fan.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahhaah really? That's what you believe?

Also I do not see the connection between your thread title "Time Travel - Legends" and your rant post. you didn't even mention Legends time travel, like, at all.

revan772 likes this.
  4. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    We got flow walking in legends, which, really never gets adequately explained and seems to see-saw between having an effect on the past, and not having an effect on the past depending on the situation.

and lets not forget Crosscurrent, in which a Sith warship literally travels 4000 years into the future.

5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Rebels didn't open the door to alternate timelines. It's all a single timeline, space/time shenanigans and all. Everything that happens is meant to happen.
    Disney and Lucasfilm might choose to explore non-canon timelines in the future which are distinct from Legends, but I don't think that will happen until the current official canon is too much to humanly keep up with - which probably won't take too long. There's already been a noteworthy mistake with the canon in the TFA novelization with the whole Rey meeting Poe thing.

6. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    One of the few things I've been content with with the ST is they haven't really had a say on the PT. I liked how they acknowledged the Darth Sidious name and the blue lightsaber being Anakin Skywalker's. Why do you say that the ST has marginalized/de-canon-zed the PT?

I didn't catch the similarity with the Magician's Nephew!

But yes, time travel was minimally used in Legends. (the talisman arc spanning the KotoR, Dark Times, and Legacy comics comes to mine too) But it wasn't a game-changer like this Rebels arc established it could be and is.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of it.

I do know there are quite a few people upset, but of course I don't believe just 2 or 3 are fans of the Disney/Marvel canon.
    I threw in Legends in the thread title to indicate it's a post primarily for Legends fans.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    How can you know if the Disney canon is good or bad if you've only ever watched 3 movies and Rebels?

revan772 likes this.
  8. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Didn't read either events, so can't really comment on those specifically. These Rebel episodes established all you have to do is push a button and you can time travel.

9. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    That's all I have to see! Luke is a cowardly failure. "There is still good in him." "I can't kill my own father." "We have to save them." "I have to try" becomes "There's nothing but evil in this boy. I have to kill him." and "I came to this island to die."

Han and Leia have a failure of a relationship. Han turns on his allies to become a washed-up smuggler again. He and Leia are awful parents.

The only one they haven't completely killed the characterization of is Leia (but all she does is stand around a table anyways).

What do Han, Luke, and Leia accomplish in the OT? Nothing because Kylo Ren comes and ruins it all. Not saying it has to be a happy ending by any means, but the ST **** on their legacy and the movies themselves. I might as well trash my OT DVDs because the ST is not just a rehash, but turns the OT characters into trash.

And Rebels turns the Empire into buffoons, the Jedi are still alive and well just before the events of ANH, the Rebels are led by an over-powered 13 year old kid.

I could go on.

I did enjoy Rogue One, though, so at least there's that.

But anyways, this thread is about the fear/belief/knowledge that Disney will reboot / remake / rehash the PT / OT, who knows, maybe even their own ST.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Well all I can say is that you are taking the most negative interpretation of the events of the ST.

And that you must have hated the old EU much more.

revan772 likes this.
  11. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012

12. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Unfortunately the positives of the Disney canon are few and far between. Legends wasn't perfect, had it's flaws, had it's own share of disasters, but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the grittier Clone Wars Multimedia project: Raxus Prime, Jabiim, Kamino, Haruun Kal, Muunilinst,Quinlan Vos's arc. I enjoyed the Empire that was unbeatable. I enjoyed the Luke Skywalker who becomes a grand master and rebuilds the Jedi Order. I enjoyed the Leia Organa that becomes an accomplished politican and unlocks her own Jedi potential. Han Solo remained most similar to his OT counterpart, but I enjoyed him becoming a dad. I enjoyed getting away from the Empire and introducing new foes in the Vong. Not saying it's all sunshine and rainbows, despite their accomplishments, the Big 3 lived in a galaxy where death struck frequently.

It's hard enjoying the Disney canon, I am sorry. I've shared my thoughts on its biggest works and I can't accept it. I can't accept its creators openly bashing the PT either. (Is Disney ashamed of what they bought?)

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    The ironic thing about your ciriticisms are that they are not things that are unique to the ST. Therefore your reasoning for disliking it is manly just 'its not the EU'.

revan772 likes this.
  14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh no! IT'S DISNEY VS. LEGENDS! HIDE YOUR KIDS! ABANDON SHIP! SAVE YOURSELVES!

[​IMG]

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke knows this thread's destiny.

[​IMG]

It is destined to be locked

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  16. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012

17. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    If that image isn't from my canon, then does it still get locked? Can we travel through a portal into time and space and make it so it doesn't get locked? Isn't there a thread designed to be pro-Legends and anti-Disney. I swear there used to be a 300-pager on that on these Boards.

18. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Bruh, just edit your posts to add things in instead of double and triple posting.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We had a guy travel a hundred and 30 years into the future or so. Up to the start of AOTC.
    I like to think that the Flow-walking for whatever reason created alternate worlds.

21. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012

22. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Because it keeps quoting my post in a quote. I delete the /Quote and it still does it. I go to edit it to remove it, and it's still there. It's an infinity loop.

23. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Basically he forgot to install relativistic shielding in his new ship and actually experienced relativity going nearly 200 years in the future.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bosbit_Matarcher

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Disney bashing with "Legends is the real canon" purpose threads don't tend to last long round these parts. So, like the man said

[​IMG]

Hamburger_Time likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.