main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    I go to theater every thursday morning with my mates. There is no one, i have a reason to don't go in class and it IS 5€ ticket. I love this moment of the week. In France netflix sucks for movie it has nothing on it we have to wait it goes on tv 1 years after theater release.

2. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    @Darth Luch You French people still have some film culture :) Or think you have.

I do think Netflix US has way bigger and more interesting library of movies than here in Europe. I mostly use Netflix for some of the original series. Like Stranger Things. And maybe when i want to watch Breakfast Club for the 30th time.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Movies as rollercoasters....
    The failure of Bladerunner really brought the message home. Big budget movies have to be amusement park rides to make their money back.

I am a little surprised Villeneuve is making two Dune movies. I figure they will be more mature and thoughtful and slower than your typical superhero movie, and so won't make the needed many hundred million dollar ticket sales.

Personally, as I get older I am getting more out of smaller movies. I came out of Lady Bird talking and thinking about what I saw. I came out of the much praised Wonder Woman with a shrug and it was soon forgotten.

darth-umbralis397 likes this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Totally agree on Blade Runner, and that is unfortunate.

I am surprised about the Dune thing also. I think the idea behind it is they could do like SW or Marvel and build a series out of it; there are a huge library of Dune books at this point. I agree though that it will be less accessible to the masses, and has more of a cult following. Not as likely to ever catch on with the mainstream and be a big success commercially. I'm thankful they are doing it nonetheless; I want to see those movies.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Netflix is getting more interesting.
    It can be a place of dumped second rate movies... Bright, Cloverfield... both perfectly fine to see when you've made no effort to see them.

And it can be a place for interesting little strange things that would bomb in cinemas. Annihilation and Mute being to recent examples. Both a bit slow, and trying out ideas that are better experienced lying on your couch than in a cinema.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    dekaneas likes this.
  6. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Another good day for TLJ. It has been doing significantly better than RO over the last 10+ days. RO still had $2m left in the tank at this point.

I wonder if Disney has any plans for a theater expansion. If they did, TLJ would almost certainly pass TA which would be a nice consolation to make up for BP blowing past it.

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I doubt that there are any plans for that beyond the small increases that are currently happening. The movie was just released online, and the blu ray will follow soon as well. When Jurassic World and The Avengers got their big re-expansions, it happened when the market was completely empty (late August / early September). That isn't really the case right now.

zackm likes this.
  8. darth-umbralis397

darth-umbralis397 Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2017
    Humble hypothesis:

Title Gross (billions $)

-----------------------------
    TFA 2.0 ;
    R1 1.0 ;
    TLJ 1.3 ;

SOLO 0.45 < $ < 0.7 .

. Will perform sufficiently well in US and UK;
    . May underperform in continental Europe (in average Europeans have been until now a bit more exacting audience –especially France, Germany, Italy).
    . I'm not well informed, but I think that the move to call in Ron Howard denotes ‘fatigue.’

I hope this movie will bomb, because I hope the public will recognize how deficient these new movies are.

9. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    It seems to me the movie failing or succeeding on it's own merits would be the better hope just on the off-chance that Solo itself is, ya know, not deficient.

10. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Almost 2 months before the film and nobody seems to be interested in Solo except of course,us,the fans.
    Internet is dead silent and we have no commercials in the media.
    I am not very confident about the movie's success :(
    Hopefully after TLJ DVD/BR launch we will have a heart beat..

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Let's just leave it there.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @dekaneas

And that is basically how Disney wants it right now. Black Panther is absolutely shredding the box office with nothing really standing in it's way anytime soon other then fatigue just like any other movie and it will lead right into Infinity Wars which btw were closing in on a month before it opens and we still have not seen a theatrical trailer yet too, just a 90 second teaser trailer. Therefore Disney wants all the eyeballs on Marvel right now. Really all SW has going on is letting TLJ die a lonely death in the theater as it makes it way to home video. They won't ramp up for Solo until Infinity Wars comes out.

dekaneas likes this.
  13. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah, the timing really doesn't work. Oh well. We'll have to settle for 7th place.

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Barely any presence of Marvel at Disney World. Few merchandise things here and there and BP banners on buses. Didn't realize the Mississippi River rule for Marvel (no park presence east of the river).

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @jedijax

The characters likeness are still owned by Universal. That is why you see the characters running around Universal Studios but Tony Stark’s Suit is at Disney World. Odd huh?

Jumanji 2 is about to pass $398 million domestically. Does it have enough in the tank for $400 million? That be quite something.

BP btw did $5 million plus in business yesterday in it’s 26th day. In comparison TLJ did $2.3 million while Rogue One did $2.5. Again incredible.

16. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    What do you think about FB2 box office, do you think it can beat Solo ?

17. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Not in the US. It should probably get some bump since it seems to involve Hogwarts and Dumbledore more but the first FB movie did $234 in the US and I can't see the sequel improving well over $100M. It could do in the $250-$275 range.

Although the argument could be made that none of the Harry Potter movies except the finale beat the first one. There was actually a somewhat decent drop between Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, so I wouldn't rule that out either.

Luke02 likes this.
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Of course you don't have any commercials in the media, it would be completely asinine to have some now. The final marketing campaign ramps up with at most two months to go, usually a bit less. And tv-spots only come once the final trailer has been released. Right now we are still more than 10 weeks away from release, that's still weeks too early to market the movie. I wouldn't count on anything happening before April, and even then things could take a bit.

How do you even judge who is interested?
    That's not something you could judge for the public as a whole, especially when there isn't even any sort of tracking done yet. It's not like people have much of a reason to randomly talk about the movie either, as it is still way too far away to matter for the average citizen. Especially when there is Infinity War coming up quite a few weeks earlier.

It's the same thing every single time. Someone just has to complain about the marketing, regardless of whether it is actually appropiate for there to be marketing at that point.

Internationally? definately. FB beat Rogue One, so this one should be a given
    Worldwide? it has a pretty good chance
    Domestically? I very much doubt it. FB2 would need to increase by a ton to even reach 300m

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

The original Blade Runner wasn't a huge breakout money maker either.

Splitting Dune into two movies could be a way to make additional money with almost the same investment. Expand the orignal single film shoot slightly for more content and only minimally increasing the budget. Marketing will costs will go up. Hopefully you get two Blade Runner 2049s or better, but you also get twice the money for two releases.

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    BP will end up being 3rd all time domestic

21. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Black Panther will probably pass both JW and Titanic on the all time chart yes. Looking back at what people said in the forum - i don`t think a single poster had this going over $ 500 mill. So thats how good we are at predicting really :)

With Jumanji climbing into the top 5 worldwide for 2017, it also means Marvel did not have any films in the top 5 for last year. Not that it hurts. All 3 movies, Thor, Spidey and Guardians came in over $ 800 mill. Still, good to see its not total world domination with super hero films. Coco has almost made $ 750 mill in the end, very good from what seemed like another mediocre Pixar gross. Its been a bit hit and miss from them. Good Dinosaur and Cars 3 flopping , Finding Dory delievering though. Actually, Coco was one of my absolute favorite films last year. Seen it 4 times in the cinema. Its just wonderful feelgood, warm and has a simple but great story.

Complaining about marketing or no marketing - thats pretty much standard for our box office threads. It happens everytime. Always. I actually do find some comfort in this. It means things are going great, when you look back at former Star Wars / Lucasfilms campaigns : )

There is not even a full trailer for Infinty Wars released yet. You know why? Disney has two big movies still running at the box office. And maybe they did learn a lession from Age of Ultron marketing. Which was heavily overdosed. Endless tv promos showing too much of the goods. They even released that whole Iron Man vrs Hulk action scene before the movie opened. I think, bad move. Why give away maybe the best ( or worst ) action scene in the film? Its like we would have been able to watch the Kylo/ Rey vrs Pret.guards before entering the cinema to see The Last Jedi. Not a good move at all. Think they learned from that. Keep the main story plots/ elements and the faith of dertain characters a secret - since its the end of this Avengers group saga - they will benefit from keeping the details away from the audience in the marketing. It will secure an even more massive opening then. Maybe around TLJs $ 220 mill or more.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Avengers has one more film next year in this saga. Whatever IW does, it may just get beat next summer too.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    wobbits likes this.
  24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    One interesting thing about the first IW trailer is after it dropped Thor:Ragnarok got a nice bump at the box office the following day, a Thursday even, which some directly attribute to the trailer grabbing so much attention (and being so good). With the next trailer dropping on Friday we won't be able to see if it has the same effect nearly as easily because obviously BP would see an increase on Saturday either way. But it isn't necessarily a bad idea to double up on a franchise's profile.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Luke02 likes this.
  25. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    This is all on point with the exception of the parenthetical. The IW trailer was garbage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.