main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    This probably belongs in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, but I'm so happy that we're getting Canon Jaxxon ahead of any number of later, more "serious" EU characters.

Maybe less controversially... the IDW aesthetic is perfect to include Jaxxon while leaving the question of what he might "look like" or even "act like" in a more "serious" context canonically ambiguous.

Now, give me back Skorr as the definitive Ord Mantell bounty hunter, and I'm good.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Check Amazon in the US, that's where I got mine. Paid about 7.00 USD for it. I just looked and a number of sellers there have it for between 6.50 and 8.50 USD, which is reasonable. It's actually a surprisingly good story, too.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #7 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daneira and tatooinesandworm like this.
  4. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Looks like they used the wrong Phantom.

Hondo was in prison until Steps into Shadow, the very episode the original Phantom was destroyed in.

5. Darth-Krayt

Darth-Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2018
    The comic has to be placed during Steps into Shadows if it is canon

Im rewatching the episode to see if there is any time between Hondo’s rescue and the mission

6. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Most important:
    We have Shriv!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Preview and interview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Ar...scuss-What-Han-and-Chewie-are-Up-to-This-Time
    Free Comic Book Day (FCBD): What initially got you interested in comics? (or What is your favorite thing about working in comics?)

Cavan Scott: My favorite thing is that you get to work with so many creative people. Writing novels can be lonely. Largely, it’s just you and the keyboard. With a comic, it’s a partnership, working with an artist (or artists) to bring a story to life. I love bouncing ideas back-and-forth to make each issue just that little bit better. There’s nothing like it.

Derek Charm: I think initially I was interested in super heroes in general, and the only place you could really find them at the time was in comics. I’d also always drawn from an early age, and I used to make little comics based on episodes of Batman. As I got older, I got more into the idea that any kind of story could be told in comics, and started to seek out some of the less obvious stuff.

FCBD: Many newcomers will pick up comics for the first time on FCBD—what was the first comic you remember reading?

Scott: The first comic I can remember reading was a weekly kid's comic called The Beano, which has been going strong over here in the UK for 80 years. From that, I moved onto 2000AD and also discovered American superhero comics. I think the first US comics I read were Marvel’s Star Wars comics back in the late 70s, but I definitely know the first ever super-hero comic I read was DC Comics Present #26, which was a team-up between Superman and Green Lantern, plus the first ever appearance of the New Team Titans! I must have read that one over and over again.

Charm: The first comic I remember reading and loving was Superman: The Man of Steel #22, which I got in a big package of comics from Toys R Us. It’s the debut of Steel just after the Death of Superman. John Bogdanov’s art really stuck with me, it was unlike anything I’d seen before. And of course, it was written by Louise Simonson, who I’d later work with, and has become one of my favorite people in comics.

FCBD: Tell us why everyone should read comic books!

Scott: Because there are comics for everyone, no-matter what you’re into — Superheroes, spies, monsters, space-ships, gangsters, or star-crossed lovers... there’s a title for you out there. All you have to do is head into your friendly-neighbourhood comic store to find out more!

Charm: I think what comics can do is so broad and encompassing, there is absolutely something for everyone. Nothing else really combines art and writing in this way, with so few filters between the creators and the reader.

FCBD: What is your favorite part about Free Comic Book Day? What do you think is the best part of Free Comic Book Day?

Scott: I love all the events that comic stores put on all around the world. It’s like thousands of mini-comic conventions all happening at once. Sure, there are free comics, but you also get cosplay and talks and signings... It’s a real celebration of comics, and fandom as a whole.

Charm: It’s great getting exposed to new things, and I think FCBD helps with that because it eliminates the risk involved with trying something new. Best case scenario, people are trying out books that they wouldn’t otherwise, and finding something they’ll come back for.

FCBD: Where do you plan to spend Free Comic Book Day?

Scott: I usually head up to London, to catch up with other creators. London has a number of great comic book stores, so I end up nipping from one to another to catch everything that’s going on. Then, when it’s all over, we usually all congregate in a pub, which is always a laugh.

Charm: This is my first year having a book involved, so hopefully a signing at one of the many fine comic stores in New York.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  8. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    Does anyone knows what is the planet from the Nien Nunb story?

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

9. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    What are the chances of the loot crate story, Destroyer Down being put in a TPB? Volumes 3 and 4 of Adventures are not due to have this story and i'm thinking that too much time would have then passed for it to be collected later? I have no expirience of this when it comes to special editions like this, but so far all Marvel one-shots have been collected. thanks

10. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    Volume 1 has the online “issue 0”

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

11. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Honestly, given that Destroyer Down was a TPB, format-wise, and had just as many pages, I think if anything, it would become its own TPB... and my magic glass ball, which can currently look at TPBs until February 2019, does not see it happening right now.

Endol likes this.
  12. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks so much , really useful means I'll try and pick it up on eBay.

13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #8 cover.
    [​IMG]

14. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Season 1 Kanan with Season 3-4 Ezra and TCW Hondo...

Giovs likes this.
  15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    C-3PO has only been collected in hardcover. It has yet to show up in TBP. Just FYI.

Also Storms of Crait, and DJ: Most Wanted haven’t been announced for collection anywhere at this time.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Endol likes this.
  16. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yes, thats right, many thanks! I plan on picking up DJ and Storms of Crait this weekend, although I would expect both to appear in TLJ TPB whenever that is released.

17. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I picked up Destroyer down on eBay £5 and free postage , so pleased with that. Really liked the Ghost ship story of the Indicator ship. Rey's story was very very similar to her other escspades in the grave yard.

I think that there was a slight error (although the placement for ghost ship is iffy) the captain referred to Sloane as vice admiral issuing a call to Jakku (presumably before the main bsttle)
    She certainly wasn't a vice admiral there, but I can't recall from the aftermath trilogy whether it was ever her call to gather the fleet for that Battle as she was stuck with Niima the Hutt?

18. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    The rank is certainly an error, but maybe Rax called them to Jakku under her name. IIRC, she was the figurehead of his faction.

BigAl6ft6 and Endol like this.
  19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Canon Gizka spotted.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    More Star Wars Adventures #9 covers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    All copies of Destroyer Down I see on Ebay will set be back, like, 10 bucks and 20 bucks shipping at the cheapest. :/

22. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I got my Destroyer Down on Amazon and I wasn't disappointed. Got it for around $10 including shipping. It was a great read and really added to the Star Wars mythos. I wish all the SWA's were this well written.

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  24. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Just read #8 and particularly enjoyed:
    • that little pink octopus challenging Sabine to put up her dukes (you can see it in the preview)
    • all of Hondo's lines (both here and in #7)
    • this panel:
      [​IMG]
    • and THIS panel:
      [​IMG]
      Adorable! [face_love]

25. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It seems Hondo kept that shuttle he took off in without Ezra and the gang during the Rebels Season 3 premier. Thats a fun bit of connectivity.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018