main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What did Luke Skywalker do in between Episodes 5 and 6?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JBJB1029, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JBJB1029

JBJB1029 Jedi Padawan

Feb 18, 2018
    I want to know what Luke Skywalker did in between Episodes 5 and 6 in both The Canon and The Legends Version of Star Wars.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Legends had Shadows of the Empire, (guessing that is legends now). Tracking down Boba Fett, Black Sun, etc. Been years since I read SOTE, but it was fairly big at the time, figures, book, video game etc.

Have no idea what the new EU has done during that time.

3. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well in both Canon and Legends he built his new Lightsaber in that time which is obviously a big thing for him. Shadows of the Empire showed this in Legends and I presume we'll probably see this happen in Canon soon at some point too. Most likely in the Marvel comic series when they get to that point.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    So far.. nothing really other than he made a new lightsaber in canon.

I've always been really disappointed that they've never dug deeper into this. I mean, yeah, we had Shadows of the Empire but I don't really think that is what I'm thinking about here. Luke is such a different character between Empire and Jedi. He just lost his only weapon and only physical connection the Jedi order, found out that his father was actually the enemy's second-in-command, and probably felt plenty of guilt for what happened to his friends on Bespin. There could be such an awesome novel that details how Luke "got his groove back," so to speak, and how he became that confident and towering presence in Return of the Jedi. There is potentially so much rich character stuff for Luke but no one really seems to bite the bait.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Absolutely agree. I would like to see Luke's post ESB, pre ROTJ Jedi Knight adventures. The only issue is there is such a short timespan between ESB and ROTJ which means only so much can happen. But if they can cram as much as they did with three years between AOTC and ROTS, I think there is a lot of potential.

I would also like another threat to the Alliance beyond the Empire. Black Sun from Shadows of The Empire was a cool threat to our heroes.

Actually come to think of it, the period between ESB and ROTJ is up there with the period between TPM and AOTC for barely unexplored territory.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My best guess is that he helped set up a plan to free Han and also maybe studied a bit more Jedi lore.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke was continuing his training on his own and built his Lightsaber, while making up a plan to rescue Han. It was that simple.

8. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Wonder how often he went back to Yoda.

Also I need a petition to make Shadows of the Empire canon again.

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Between V and VI? Never.

When they are leaving Tatooine, Luke tells the others the reason he can't go with them is that he still has to keep the promise that he made to Yoda. A promise from which his desire to rescue Han had held him back.

Jamtia and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I know I sound silly here most likely, but I never found out how Luke got his Green Crystal... anyone know?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the newcanon- we do not know yet.

In Legends, he made it himself.

But newcanon is moving away from "synthetic crystals" as lightsaber crystals - even the Sith don't use them - and as far as we know, Luke has no idea where Ilum (the preferred source of Jedi saber crystals) is.

Raising the possibility that Luke got his some other way. He has a disassembled lightsaber of a CW-era Jedi in his possession in Heir to the Jedi - maybe Luke took the crystal from that, attuned it to himself, and built his own lightsaber using that one.

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Its an era that Disney can mine once they recast Luke and Leia.

13. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Hopefully we'll find out more.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, that sounds so yummilicious and truly said. Character growth of that magnitude really needs detailing. :cool:

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Given that there's more than one place to get Kyber crystals, it probably isn't the difficult to figure out. Hell, Luke learns about Jedha in "The Ghosts Of Jedha". It wouldn't be difficult to believe that he'd track down a crystal from there.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I suppose he might have retrieved a crystal or two from the wrecked planet while he was there. Given how wrecked it was in the comic - it might be harder for him to retrieve one after 3 years - might need to wear a spacesuit.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Shadows of the Empire was one of my favorite SW books-to this day.

I wonder if they'll ever release something that elaborates on what happened there in the current canon. IMO it won't be as good as SOTE, but apart from Mara Jade I don't really recall if there's anything in that Legends story that actually conflicts with this new canon-or am I forgetting something?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The main problem with Shadows of the Empire wasn't Mara Jade (she never made an appearance in SOTE as far as I can tell) - it was Luke's lightsaber crystal being synthetic.

Remove that one scene - and it becomes not too difficult to slot into the newcanon.

19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Dr Evazan had pilfered some crystals from Jedha just before it was looted by the Empire for its own purposes and then destroyed. In order to compensate for his dismemberment at Mos Eisley cantina he was forced to operate an extremely risky black market in Jedha relics for which Luke was able to blackmail him into providing him with one. Which is why Luke's blade is green like the DS superlasers. :greensaber: [face_whistling]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Tosche_Station and Iron_lord like this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not like those are in short supply.

She's not. All of the characters in that story were either ones created by Lucasfilm for the films, or were created specifically for the story. That's why the book doesn't list all of the Rogue Squadron members, the ones who were established as being part of the unit at the time. Only those who were in TESB, were seen or mentioned. And we don't see all of Jabba's palace in the comic adaptation, so we don't see Mara. Not sure if she was supposed to have been part of Jabba's court when issue six came out, or if she joined after Han was delivered and before Lando had infiltrated the palace.

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    They will eventually. They’re taking their sweet time covering every aspect possible with the post ANH timeline. And I’m okay with that. They’ll move towards TESB timeline one of these days.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  22. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    He spent time carefully managing his coiffure so that it grew over his ears.

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

You know what? I think I'm mixing up SOTE with the Thrawn Trilogy, in terms of Mara Jade's appearance! [face_tee_hee]

After all-As I recall, I did read them back to back...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In terms of chronological appearances; there was two or three novels, one short story and a Dark Horse mini-series that took place during the OT era with Mara. Might be missing one or two stories. But both the novel and the comic did not feature Mara.

25. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Shadows of the Empire pretty much answers that questions adequately I think.

But obviously the first thing he did was go to the space store and get that spiffy all black garb.