main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The EU Apocrypha - Using New Material to Expand the Expanded Universe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by blackmyron, Mar 6, 2018.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The new canon stuff from the novel side of things are a bit bland compared to what came before. The comic books have been decent, but no earth shattering series that changes things. Just character driven contained stories that could happen at any time of the day. Dr. Aphra being an exception. That series is ground breaking as two women kiss and what not. I still rate the Marvel comics higher than the novels in the new canon era. They have been bolder in story telling, but still fall a bit flat to Dark Horse.

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I think the time travel and Loth-Wolf teleportation in Rebels was a big shift

kalzeth likes this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm going to give the comics a miss for now (unless the trades are available at the library, which isn't completely impossible).

kalzeth likes this.
  4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    So, to tackle the overall plotline of Aftermath itself.
    Admiral Gallius Rax
    Rax apparently never held the title of Grand Admiral, which makes things easy. He's also head of Naval Intelligence, with the death of Yularen at Yavin. So, right there we have a connection between Isard and Rax. While they (naturally) wouldn't trust each other, they would agree on 'purging' the ranks of the disloyal.
    In the EU, the actual leadership of the remaining loyal Imperial forces is vague, with Pellaeon hinted at being the de facto head initially, but complicated by the various Admirals and Grand Admirals. I would assume that the Naval military leadership would fall to a cabal of the top military personnel. Rax portrays himself in the book as a 'man behind the scenes' and that would fit in with the EUA - a shadowy figure who declines a leading role, but manipulates people.
    Rax is something additional, though; his personal recruitment by Palpatine himself as a child screams one thing - Emperor's Hand; and there, things begin to fall into place. The main difference between the EU and the NewCanon post-Endor is, of course, Palpatine's rebirth in the former. Instead of being guided by his 'last command', Rax is still getting communications from the Dark Empire in the Deep Core.
    The Battle of Akiva
    A collabrative effort between Isard and Rax to manipulate the NR into eliminating their enemies. Instead of assuming that the tepid assembly of Imperial leaders was the whole thing, the "Imperial Future Council" consists of representatives from various factions - the Imperial Navy, the Imperial Army, the Imperial Advisors, the Moffs, and the non-government/military backers of the Empire.
    "Grand Admiral" Sloane
    Pellaeon led the retreat from Endor in the EU, but in the EUA Admiral Sloane backed his decision in the arguments between the Naval commanders and stayed with the Loyalist Imperial forces. Rax uses his influence to get her to become the official 'head' of the Imperial Navy (with the understanding with the other Admirals that it's mainly for show) with a public declaration following the Battle of Brentaal. The title of "Grand Admiral" is never truly recognized, as it wasn't bestowed by a 'head of Empire' nor did she carry the title for long - only about a month.
    The 'month of peace'
    From the declaration of a temporary truce following the fall of Kuat in NewCanon (Brentaal in the EUA) for one month (until the assault on NR leadership), with all the warlord fragments in the Rim, the NR would've just concentrated on their forces in the meantime.
    The rebirth of the Galactic Senate and the NR capitol
    There would have been incredible pressure to make the NR a 'legitimate' government, that I can see the NR trying to establish itself in the Core Worlds with a new Senate as soon as possible. With the disastrous events caused by the sleeper agents wreaking havoc at the NR capitol, the experiment probably ended before it really began; Mon Mothma would (with acceptance from the member worlds, given the circumstances) put the reestablishment of the Senate on hold until the Empire had been more decisively defeated.
    As I mentioned earlier, the initial government would've been at Mon Calamari; then moved to Brentaal briefly, then to a more secure location. I would also surmise that they would've reestablished at a better fortified and accessible location when they had an opportunity - like Denon, after its fall - before finally moving to Coruscant.
    The non-aligned states
    One of the more enjoyable tidbits coming out of the series is the list of regions that weren't part of the NR or the Empire - the New Separatist Union, the Confederacy of Corporate Systems, and the 'pirates and their so-called Sovereign Latitudes'.
    I've always put forth the notion that former Separatist worlds would try to go their own way with the fall of the Empire, not being interested in joining the NR; that would be "the New Separatist Union".
    The "Confederacy of Corporate Systems" sounds like the con that Zsinj tried to pull - a non-aligned group of worlds, especially since the Corporate Sector was part of his territory.
    The Sovereign Latitudes appear to be linked with the pirates that take the SSD Aggressor in NewCanon; in the EUA, I would surmise that it would be a lawless territory carved out by Tyber Zann's forces, following the Battle of Kuat.

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    A side piece on Grand Moffs (as a new Grand Moff shows up):

A Grand Moff was defined as any Moff that controlled one or more sectors as part of a 'priority sector' or 'Oversector' - however, I believe that there were twelve primary Grand Moff positions, corresponding to the twelve divisions of the Republic fleet during the Clone Wars - this appears to be confirmed by the territories of the various 'proto-Grand Moffs' ruling 'greater [name] sector' at the birth of the Empire. It's interesting to note that in at least three cases, a Grand Admiral was also a Grand Moff.
    The only true riddle was Oversector Outer, as Tarkin was (originally) the Moff of greater Seswenna Sector... yet when Kaine took command, he moved the HQ to Entralla. What I think happened is that this was not an extension of the original Seswenna Sector, but rather a new Grand Moff title granted to Tarkin - who continued to be Grand Moff of his original Oversector as well. When Tarkin died, Kaine inherited Oversector Outer but the other Grand Moff title went to someone else.
    Greater Quelii Sector [Cerulean Spear Oversector] - Originally under Grand Moff Tanniel all the way to the Rebellion Era; however, by the Battle of Endor, Zsinj is the Grand Moff
    Bright Jewel Oversector - Grand Moff Vanko was the original ruler, although he likely had his career (and life) short after the Emperor discovered he had been hiding significant losses to piracy from him. Nox Vellam was next, and his 'priority sector' was extended into other Grand Moff's territories - they must've loved that! - but presumably his reign was cut short by butting heads with Vader.
    Greater Seswenna Sector [Night Hammer Oversector] - Tarkin was the ruler all the way until his death at the Battle of Yavin. After Endor, Grand Moff Wilkadon ruled from his base on Askaj, one of the holdouts on that part of the Outer Rim.
    Greater Coruscant Sector [Azure Hammer Oversector] - Grand Moff Trachta ruled it from its creation until his death shortly before Yavin during his attempted coup. Grand Admiral Tigellinius most likely took over in his place, and stayed until he fell in the Committee of Grand Moffs debacle a year after Endor.
    Shadow Hand Oversector - Grand Moff Gann was probably the longest-lived Grand Moff, as he was around at the Empire's birth, and survived well into the warlord era after the Empire disintegrated.
    Emerald Banner Oversector - Originally ruled by Grand Moff Grant, later a Grand Admiral. Since he had 'lost his power base' after Endor and fled to join the Pentastar Alignment, I would assume that he no longer retained the position.
    Steel Blade Oversector - Ruled by Grand Moff Seerdon from the birth of the Empire, until Rogue Squadron defeated him shortly after Yavin.
    Green Mantle Oversector - Ruled by Grand Moff Vorru, until he was betrayed by Prince Xizor and sent to prison.
    Greater Relgim Sector (Brazen Petard Oversector) - Ruled by Grand Moff Wessex well into the Rebellion Era at least.
    Greater Maldrood Sector (Cerulean Spear Oversector) - Originally ruled by Grand Moff Therbon, by Endor it was ruled by Grand Moff Selit. Admiral Teradoc had him placed under house arrest and took direct command of the oversector.
    Greater Tolonda Sector (Red Tails Command) - Grand Moff Ravik from the beginning; after Yavin, he was captured by the Alliance and then by extradimensional invaders.
    Greater Sarin Sector (Hook Nebula Command) - Grand Moff Kintaro ruled from the beginning, although it is implied that he met his end prior to Endor for treason.
    Greater Trans-Nebular Sector (Iron Lance Command) - Grand Moff Hissa, by the Battle of Endor; controlled it until killed during the Committee of Grand Moffs debacle.

Now, Aftermath introduces Grand Moff Randd, who is a loyalist that joins Rax's Shadow Council. His territory is known as "The Exterior", the only portion of the Outer Rim controlled by the Empire, otherwise not located. I surmise that he became the ruler of Bright Jewel Oversector after Vellam's death, but found his control limited to only the Mid Rim portion, as Grand Moff Kaine had essentially taken complete command of the Outer Rim portion of the oversector. Not coincidentally, his territory formed the core of the rump Empire following the fall of Coruscant, relocating to Orinda, within the oversector.

kalzeth and Daneira like this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    So, everyone always says Dark Disciple overwrites Vos's story in the comics. I took this as fact and never read it, lol. But today I skimmed the plot summary and don't really see what it overwrites. Yes, I suppose it would be unwise for the Council to assign Vos to assassinate Dooku considering their history together, but trying to assassinate Dooku is a dumb move for them regardless.

And Ventress was killed off like three times in the comics, anyway.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    blackmyron likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Read it if you can. It's not reconcilable at all. Ventress knew Vos in Legends. She doesn't recognize him in DD.

Other way around, Ventress and Vos get into a relationship in DD then she dies. How could she know him in the Legends comics and still be alive?

Tholme's death in DD is also a key part of the plot, whereas he survived till ROTS in Legends.

Dooku infiltrates Vos in DD and in Legends. I even made a joke about this here on these boards back when the novel came out, along the lines of Dooku asking "You look familiar, didn't you already defect and join me before?" and Vos answering "No of course not." :p

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I had thought the death of Ventress to be one of NewCanon's biggest early missteps. Fortunately for this thread, the EU overrides it. ;)
    I think the best bet is to pull elements from Dark Disciple and merge it with the Vos undercover storyline.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Tholme dying in Dark Disciple at least can be put down to one of his several fake deaths, and/or mixed with one of Quin's amnesia storylines.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Not only would Quin need amnesia, but Dooku and Ventress too and probably the Jedi Council...

Honestly the entire novel just clashes with ROTS. They won't make Anakin a master? But Master Vos is commanding armies to Boz Pity! The old story was so much better, because the Jedi knew less about Quin's wrongdoings.

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ventress pretended not to recognise him as I remembered it... she knew early on what he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008

I’ve actually had a similar sort of write-up/Notes to myself on some of the same as above. I do wish this particular section of the Warfare Guide had been run by a few more of us, as a few bits of it could have been better done. Here’s a few of my notes on the matter:

• Moffs did exist during the Clone Wars, though only towards the end. How else can we account for the prior military exploits of Tarkin, Wessex, and Wessel, yet also have them being Moffs by the end of the war? Given the timing of the Battle of Boz Pity in particular (Wessex’s heroism there) and the enactment of the Sector Governance Decree, the Moffs could not have been around any earlier.

• There were no Grand Moffs during the Clone Wars, and Tarkin was the only one for some time thereafter, until the aftermath of the Gentis coup attempt.

• Not all of the first Moffs became Grand Moffs. Some even seem to have been demoted or given reduced Sectors to govern. Wessel was relegated to governing Yinchorr, and Vanko seems to have ended up under the authority of Grand Moff Wessex, per his efforts to hide his piracy losses from both the Emperor AND his superior Wessex.

• Oversectors seem to have come and gone, and been reorganized over time.
    There’s a great quote from Survivor’s Quest that almost nobody has realized the significance of. Mara Jade happens to be wondering how she alone of most of her Imperial contemporaries is still alive:

This quote, directly from her own thoughts, confirms that by the time of the events of Survivor’s Quest all of the Grand Moffs were dead! This also means the Grand Moff Disra (he has been called that) might have been executed for his scheme with the fake Thrawn, and that Grand Moff Gann might finally have died or been overthrown, or at least rendered inaccessible in the Deep Core. Gann was the last known surviving of the original Moffs, and would have had to have been old and prominent enough in the late Republic to have been entrusted by Palpatine with ruling Sector 5. Given the unstable nature of the Deep Core hyperlanes, his survival could easily be due to his power base of Odik II being rendered inaccessible following the destruction of Byss. The quote also could be taken to indicate that Moff Vorru never actually became a Grand Moff, or if he did he had died by the time of Survivor’s Quest. It would also seem to indicate that the “Moff Grant” was NOT the same person as Octavian Grant, the future Grand Admiral, which in turn makes much more sense in general.

• When noting that Grand Admirals could also be Grand Moffs (thanks, Adventure Journal 14!) it should be remembered that Grand Admirals actually outranked Grand Moffs. Furthermore, both the original Zahn books and the Sourcebooks indicate that the Grand Admirals were meant to be integrated both militarily AND politically over time, and that they were eventually to take direct control of entire Regions.

• The system of Moffs and Grand Moffs, along with the Oversectors, was going to be replaced in the long run by a hierarchy of Dark Siders once the Empire was fully transitioned into the Dark Empire, all of whom were in turn subsumed into the will of the Emperor via the Force.

• Regarding Oversector Outer, it is usually said to encompass most of the Outer Rim, but only rarely all of it. Thus, it isn’t a real contradiction to assume that it co-existed alongside the Bright Jewel, Greater Maldrood and Queli Oversectors. Assuming that Tarkin had authority over the entire Region that was Outer Rim Territories (which Galaxy Guide 1 actually says) he could even have had multiple Oversectors answering to him. Kaine would have merely become the head of Oversector Outer, but not the entire galactic Region that it, Bright Jewel, Maldrood and Queli were in.

• Regarding the rulership of the Imperial Center Oversector, Trachta was made Moff of it towards the end of the Clone Wars, became the second Grand Moff for his role in the Gentis affair, and continued to rule it until just before the battle of Yavin. He was replaced by Grand Admiral Teshik for a short time (Teshik explicitly says he was in charge of the Oversector in his account at the start of the Warfare Guide), which fits with pre-existing descriptions of Grand Admirals being intended to rule entire Regions (the Core Worlds Region, in this case), and he in turn was replaced in this role by Tigellinus.

• Moff Vanko ruled one of the two Sectors near the Maelstrom, nowhere near Yavin, and certainly not within Bright Jewel Oversector. He was also likely never a Grand Moff, as he seems to have remained a Moff ruling a Sector that shrunk and shifted over time. His superior Grand Moff, per Riders, was Denn Wessex. An outstanding choice for one of the original 20 Moffs, given his age, military background, and friendship with Palpatine.

• Grand Moff Ravik was said to have risen through Imperial service, and his description as brutal and tyrannical is not something that would mesh well with somebody who had originally been a very prominent Republic official. Having him being one of the first 20 Moffs clashes with his original descriptions from Otherspace.

• Octavian Grant was never a Grand Moff. The “Moff Grant” is likely to be a relative of prominence, given Octavian’s known noble background, as was the case with “Moff Praji”. Just another person from a prominent family. Warfare elsewhere has Octavian Grant leading a fleet, and later indicates that many Admirals had records similar to his, and that he was considered an unlikely pick to be a Grand Admiral. He is also described in the Grand Admirals article from Insider 66 has never having his own power base, which further indicates he was never a Moff or Grand Moff. Keep in mind that it is never actually said that the Moff Grant and Octavian Grant are actually the same.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    In my personal notes, people like Vanko aren't actually listed as Grand Moffs - that derives solely from the proto-Grand Moff ranking of being Moffs of "greater [blank] sector" - that they never were included in the rankings of the Grand Moffs as you indicate is also a reasonable assumption.

As for Teshik, I know EGW indicated he had 'command of the oversector', but I've assumed that it was just a reference to his command of the Azure Hammer forces as indicated in Coruscant and the Core Worlds, not actually being the ruler of the oversector; if he was, his fall from grace with Palpatine probably cost him the position shortly after Yavin anyways.

SheaHublin likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    On this line of topic, I believe the original Imperial Sourcebook refers to Tarkin as Admiral, not Moff. Or at least at one point it uses that as his title.

15. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    Wasn't Moff thought to be his name for a time? When did it become a rank?

16. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    There's a few interesting and possibly contradictory tidbits about Teshik in the Warfare Guide: He mentions childhood on the planet Kallistas in the Outer Rim, yet is also said to have "dwelled for centuries" in the Sirpar Hills of Anaxes as a Generational.

As for whether or not he merely was in charge of the Imperial Center Oversector or the entire Core Worlds Region, well, it comes down to just how one wants to interpret every reference to it. Same for Tigellinus after him- all the more odd that he would take on a lower rank of Grand Moff, unless it is assumed that Tigellinus actually took a huge step up and became the ruler of the entire Core Worlds REGION. And as the sources confirm, the Grand Admirals were being primed to take control of entire Regions...

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was the ANH novelization that made it a rank? I know that the ROTJ novelization is how we knew Jerjerrod was a Moff, at least.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  18. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Some of the WEG accounts of the Ghorman Massacre, and also the early Essential Guide to Characters, indicate that a "Captain Tarkin" was the commander of the ship that ended the protests by landing directly on top of them, and that this was intended to be the same man who later became Moff Tarkin. Given later timeline shifts, this had to be disregarded or explained away as Tarkin merely being in charge of the ship and thus technically referred to as its Captain, or that it was another Tarkin, as Wilhuff was already a Moff by the time of the Massacre.

There's been other Moffs since 1983...

blackmyron likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Few comments:

1. Coruscant and ISB: let’s not forget that the Rebellion-era sourcebook told us that Coruscant had its own sector fleet. It was under defended in Wedge’s Gamble for other reasons.

2. Amedda: Rogue Squadron notes that Isard was holding Coruscant in stewardship. This suggests that another nominal regent was not necessary, as she was taking on the regency herself.

3. Pelly: don’t think I didn’t notice that.

4. Teshik: I posit that Teshik was responsible for Sector Zero and Azure Hammer Command after Trachta and before Tigellinus took the grand moff position. The Far Orbit fiasco marks as good a time as any for the transfer between Teshik and Tigellinus.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Could Isard be holding it in stewardship for Amedda?

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    She could be running it day to day, and allow him to be the figurehead...at least until she gets rid of Sate Pestage, then she abandons even that illusion.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suppose, though I think the intention was that she was downplaying the fact that she was Empress in all but name.

Right, we’re talking Post-Pestage. Prior to that, she was manipulating him to position herself for a takeover of the civil government.

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Of interest to me is that the Eviscerator, the ship that admiral Versio commanded, was present at the Battle of Brentaal and defended the same trio of worlds which included Borleias.

So that’s a nice additional concept.

Are we taking it that Operation Cinder still occurs? Similarly - the sieges of Naboo?

Nom von Anor likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's worth considering that Isard was the Rax of Legends, purposefully mucking it all up. She did say, after all, Imperial restoration could only occur after destroying the Rebels. She was willing to let it all fall apart in order to make the NR an established government that was easier for her to hit.

Alternatively but similarly, we've long thought of Pestage and Dangor as possible intentional wreckers -- and the Imperial Mutiny "pruning the nest of vipers" is a lot like Rax taking people down.

The Contingency matches up nicely with the post-Legends, pre-DE route. Different methods, since the Empire of the EU was more of an established government but same results: pruning the vipers and breaking down the Empire for someone to build it back up.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I took the Dark Empire as one of Palpatine’s various Contingencies, mentally. Between planning to deprive Coruscant of all its oxygen, the Lusankya, and so forth.

As a random aside, I am fairly sure TIE Fighter stated that Palpatine was transferring to his Super Star Destroyer when Zaarin snatched him. The Executor-class Eclipse, perhaps?

EDIT:

Had a thought...

... I am unsure how the timelines like up, but I am sure that we did have the Cabal take over about a year after Endor, and then were taken down. Could the Cabal, either led by Amedda or using Amedda as a patsy, be the provisional government which signed the Galactic Concordance, and then Isard took them down just before the New Republic focused on the Central Committee?

Expanding on the DE point; Aftermath II stated that of three quarters of the Destroyers lost by 5 ABY, a third had vague records of their destruction. Only two hundred at most show up in Rax’s hands; are the rest those which are diverted to Byss?

This is assuming the Battle of Jakku can still happen in this idea. Pestage, Dangor, Rax and Isard working together - but with different end games in mind. This paints Rax as a traitor all the more readily, perhaps aiming to or already supplanting proposed EotH assets in the UR.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.