main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question... But since my fanfic is a total AU and everything, including characterisation, unfolds differently from TLJ, I've been asking myself the question on whether I should reintroduce Holdo and Rose in some capacity. So I wanna ask my fellow haters a question: do you think these characters could be fixed with enough of character rewrite?
    I understand why do many people dislike Holdo, and I share their opinions on that, that's why I kinda have an idea on what her role may be so that her personality makes sense. I, however, haven't entirely made my mind up on Rose, and I see ficwriters who dislike TLJ having a split opinion on her. Some think she is an utterly unlikeable character, and it would be easier to make a new character than to fix her. Other think that her writing was mishandled, and she could be recycled. I myself don't entirely understand the point of her character. I am kinda lost, so I wonder, what do you think of these two characters, particularly Rose?

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    @FireKeeper - I adore both, especially Rose. Not sure if that helps. Either way, who cares what people think? You're essentially writing for yourself first and if you get an audience, that's cool, but there's no reason to accommodate to anybody's wishes. :)

@Raissa Baiard - Just do it. And find a way to cope with the emotions that overwhelm you when writing. Easier said than done, I know...but for some reason, this one was never an issue with me. I find it harder to spew out words when it comes to super-emotional poetry that's autobiographical. This, this is...fiction?!

Re: languages

Just find a native speaker. Gratuitous use of whatever language makes no sense and it's kinda offensive to native speakers, unless you're going for teh lulz on purpose.

For @brodiew, from the locked thread:

I hope the following helps:

Kylo is a very interesting character and, to me, a rare case of a somewhat relatable villain.

He has borderline personality disorder (just like Anakin...and, err, me) and his emotions are completely disregulated and unfiltered. In our Galaxy, women are more likely to achieve remission and men often acquire a bunch of other pathologies and/or go stealth all their lives. So, I'm using the same logic for the GFFA. Double standards and all.

His relationships would have to be of the "all or nothing" kind. Obsession, extreme fear of abandonment and rejection, going to enormous lengths to impress people, control-freakish behaviour, emotional outbursts over everything, unintentional manipulation that can be perceived as intentional. And DRAMA. LOTS OF DRAMA.

And yeah, this is also why I don't date - in order not to destroy myself again. Last break-up was in April 2014. :p

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    brodiew and Lady_Misty like this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You liked it when my Kylo used Ewokese.
    Mixed messages.

@FireKeeper - Just don't have Holdo and Rose grip their respective Idiot Balls quite so hard, and they should be fine.

Also, if you are not having Paige die at the start, remember that Rose has that sister.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Gamiel likes this.
  4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Rose didn't have much personality, to me. I didn't dislike her, she was just sort of there, tagging along. So, yes, I'd like to see her get another chance. I almost saw her as one of those people IRL who can't read social cues and who consequently act inappropriately. I don't know if that is how she was written, or if it was an acting choice.

Holdo...it would take a lot to redeem her, to me. For one thing, she'd have to be moderately competent as a military leader.

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I meant real-life languages here.

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Say Poe is the chief of state of the fledgling new republic. He is frustrated that he is no longer navigating Tie fighter wings, but is now stuck navigating faction demands. Given this, what could his friends, Rey and Finn want, officially, that would frustrate him further?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A slight increase in the Jedi budget

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Could Rey want some kind of official recognition for a new Jedi order/Academy? Permission to test for new candidates? Is Finn still involved with the military in some capacity? If so, there could be all sorts of funding issues there, or perhaps he’s dealing with some of the more unruly factions.

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    BB-8?

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    @brodiew If you don't end up using this suggestion, please tell me because I just got bit by a plot bunny.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @Sith-I-5, this a great idea, but I think I'm headed in a different direction. @Briannakin, go for it!

Briannakin likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    *Applies anti-septic*

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  13. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I seriously cannot think of anything that would frustrate him more than being stuck as a politician!!!

And I am now deeply curious as to what bunny @Briannakin give us... :bb8:

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is going to be a strange discussion topic, but here I go.

Have you ever felt like you lacked credentials for writing specific eras, specific characters?

In 2015, I was mortified about writing Luke, because there were so many people who were considered to be Luke experts and I was this writer of Ewoks, evil Eldritch Abomination Jar Jar and OCs. I posted it and I was mortified when people started leaving comments. I saw criticism in all of them, they had years of, I dunno, experience and their Lukes were a norm, regardless of other people's interpretations. I had this fear that they were saying things about me elsewhere, I could not get rid of it. When the story got awards, it was even scarier.

Then I got to write Leia, Bail and Breha for a fic-gift and I was mortified again. The person was a Leia expert in my eyes and I did not want to fail. For some bizarre reason, that went well.

The next time I dared to write CCs as protagonists was, like...a year ago? I wrote a KOTOR thing, an A/P thing, then just one with Padmé, Mara Jade, Maul and the obscure character Tseebo. And Darth Maladi, because Darth Maladi. Was mortified each time, apart from that last one. Was super-mortified about Mara.

I don't count random crack!fics with the ST folks and that thing with Piett, Tarkin, Jerjerrod and Droopy McCool.

It was only when the Ultimate Drabble Challenge came along that I let go of this fear. Particularly when I nailed Rex, not knowing much about him. That felt good.

And now I'm mortified again. It's like...if you're an OC writer and it's sort of, sort of okay when you write Legacy and A/P, maybe the Separatists (why the heck do I find Nute so interesting, anyway?)...why do anything else?

I...don't know. :(

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Can happen sometimes with dice-selected challenges.

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I never worry about *credentials,* let's face it: unless you have a beard, a propensity for flannel shirts and are named Lucas, you don't truly have the credentials to write Star Wars. :D

That said, there are some ECs who I have trouble with (the afore-mentioned Luke Skywalker, for one), so I tend to avoid them. Some people do such a great job with certain ECs, really taking them to their own, it can be intimidating to try them, especially if you know your take on them would be different (I'd be nervous about taking on Teebo or Paploo, now! ;)) But, if the bunny bites, you have to go with it, and I think sometimes it is good to give yourself a new challenge. Try something scary. It is, after all, only fanfiction and the fate of the world doesn't hang on it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    brodiew, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  17. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @Ewok Poet, I suffered from this fear a lot when I started to branch out to other fandoms, especially tv fandoms that have a lot more source material to keep track of. With Star Wars I never felt that way. The source material of the canon films is finite enough and I felt like the characters worked well with me. Thought Mara Jade took me a while to engage. I've written some, but not much on the L/M front. I really didn't want to write A/P, but I did it to prove to myself I could. A challenge. But don't feel like you have to unless you want to. this is supposed to be fun. At least, it is for me. All that said,I know what you're feeling.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You have never read me, so I guess you can't have a clear picture of what it was like and I thiiink I wrote all of those things, but clear L/M (just Mara on her own so far). ;)

But yeah, I agree. :D

20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    How bad of form is it to update a story more than once a week? The moose muse has been in overdrive on one of my stories and I've got the next chapter done much sooner than I expected, but I don't want readers to be overwhelmed by posting again too soon. Can there be extenuating circumstances? In this case, we're going on spring break next week, so i probably won't be able to do responses and post on the weekend.

Can't-wait-to-post-itis is real:p

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Then just post and let people respond to both until you're back. :) And add a note that you will respond then. Or, be a moron like me and reserve a post for comments.

Otherwise, more than once a week for things that are not dead short is a NOPE to me. When I was following a story that was updated twice a week, I got exhausted at some point and quit. Recently, I could not follow another because of that as well and now not only that it's over, but there is also a sequel. Ouch! :p

Thorn058 likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    DON'T I KNOW IT?!?! [face_laugh] I have a chronic case of can't wait to post-itis tied absolutely with can't wait to read-itis [face_love]

Since the posts are on the short-ish side, I think posting close together shouldn't be an issue then readers can decide if they'll read them at one sitting or one at a time. :)

[:D]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  23. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Now, this is something that I am in the process of reevaluating for myself. I very much used to be of the "post as you write" type, but it didn't work out so well for me—mainly because the vicissitudes of RL made it impossible for me to establish any kind of regular writing and posting schedule. So yes, I too am now starting to lean toward the "don't post till it's finished" approach (and I actually do have a number of things already completed that I'm just waiting to post at the right time, kind of, and that helps). :)

25. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I heard a rumor once about author Louis L'Amour. He wrote, it was edit for grammar and such, and it was published. He was not a polisher as I understand it. He and I are kindred spirits. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    pronker, Thorn058 and Findswoman like this.