main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Archive of Our Own, a fanfic site.

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A fun variation of this could be that the guy with the experience is a vetrenarian and this was the first time s/he delivered att non animal child

3. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    I need to make up an ancient text for my character to work on. In it, there is supposed to be information on an ancient artifact, which Luke Skywalker somehow couldn't decypher in 6 years. Therefore I have to make the artifact look well hidden. I have several ideas on how to make this.
    The way I see it, Luke could think that the artifact is on one of the islands of Ahch-To, while something island with the coordinates was actually a way to open a sealed underwater sanctuary which contained the artifact, and this something only showed itself to certain people, which Luke never belonged to. However, I am worried about it being too convoluted. Any other ideas?
    Also, any idea on what language could the ancient texts be, so that my character could mention it? Is it okay to make up a language that hasn't appeared in canon?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @FireKeeper maybe you could use one of the languages presented here . Those are non-SW language but they are in public domain and many are (IU) suposed to be unreadable by modern people

5. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    I didn't mean I need entire fictional language lines, I meant just a language name. I was just wondering if there are any existing ancient SW languages a text about Ahch-To could be written on.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Most of tehm are just names and some information about how they look, what they are used for and/or who used them in ancinet time.

I cant help you there

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Should I name a short story 'Farm Boy' or 'First Meeting'? The characters will appear in a series of short stories and this will be the first one to feature them.

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I kimd of think both are too bland.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Lady_Misty -- perhaps try to think of something that will tie all the connected viggies together - what makes them fit together and use that as a starting point. @};-

~~~!!

ETA to respond to the question posed by @FireKeeper

Perhaps have a world of Jedi lore that would be obscure except to archivists or that was accidentally learned about by the person who tells him about it. [face_thinking] A Wookieepedia search on worlds strong in ancient Jedi history or something similar if not actually tied to the Whills.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Tarsier and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  11. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015
    @FireKeeper yeah... that does sound a little convoluted. Maybe you could make it DNA-coded?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Does the farm have a name? I suggest:

Encounter At [Whatever] Farm

[Whatever] Farm Rendezvous

Sharu.

The Sharu are an extinct (or at least, were) race from the Rafa System. Lando Calrissian trilogy novels. Their language had the same name, and has been studied by archaeologists for years.

13. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    As an avid SWTOR player, I already know a lot about Tython( more than I do about the new canon, because I lost interest for it, and writing my fix fic in an attempt to heal myself from the sadness it gives me). However, since I am kinda merging elements from both continuities in my fanfic, I am not sure how can I put anything about Tython and Ahch-To together so it won't contradict. Or, if I replace Tython with Ahch-To, how will I be able to add Tython back if such thought crosses my mind.
    That would be a simple solution, however, this presents multiple problems. First, the artifact is like, really ancient. If the Rakata existed in this universe in some capacity( they probably did, but I haven't settled with my decision yet), this artifact is older than even the Rakatan Empire. Even if it was crafted by humans( because from what I know, the civilizations of other species were at rise back then, and these species are obscure, if not extinct, in the modern galaxy, excluding the possibility of someone of these species cross-breeding with humans and the descendants living all the way to post-TFA era), with so many generations past, I doubt a trace of that ancient DNA is left in anyone.
    Second, even if somehow one of our characters was related to the bloodline the supposed lock worked on, I don't want them to. I already have a backstory for Rey's origins( and I am ignoring Kylo's explanations), one that will contradict if I also make her a descendant of this bloodline. As for my OC, I just don't want to make her special. In fact, I think I'll make it a plot point that she isn't special in any way, because I already have enough special characters both in the main cast and the background, I don't need the same with my protagonist.

14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I decided that since the fic is going to be part of a series called 'The Tales from the Kawa Teikoku' I should probably name the fic 'the Tale of how the Shinobi met the Farm Boy' or something like that.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'd remove "the tale of" because you already have that in the series title. :)

16. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    The story is done; I just need a title for it.

18. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015
    Re: Tython. I suppose it would help to know which elements you are keeping and which you are throwing out. I've been doing the same with my prequel rewrites, and it is all very subjective, which means that I need to present a good reason to make my changes--the reasoning does not make sense on its face to every reader. That said, there is a way to keep both planets in some capacity if you are calling the shots. Retconning can go a long way, I think. I don't know much about Ahch-To other than that they decided it was the birthplace of the Jedi (instead of Tython). As far back as the history of Tython goes, it and Ahch-To could be intimately related with respect to Jedi origins, and I think it would be fun to create that link.
    "So wait, now you're telling me Ahch-To is the birthplace of the Jedi and not Tython?"
    "What I said was true... from a certain point of view." *wink*

Re: artifact. Again, it's good to know these subtleties that would create problems in your story because of other elements. I've tried to keep my expansion into extraneous lore to a minimum and focus on the stories of the main characters as much as possible, because as you know, changing one piece will create a butterfly effect down the line.

So have you answered all the other questions surrounding the artifact for yourself and your story?
    - Do you know the identity of the artifact's creator(s)? What race are they? When? What part of space? Who did they interact with?
    - Does Luke know anything about the artifact's creator(s)?
    - Does the Force have anything to do with the understanding of the artifact's contents or message?
    - Is there a reason that your character, rather than Luke, could decypher or understand the artifact/message?

If she's a nobody with no special skills whatsoever, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot with this whole ancient text/artifact thing. Because everyone reading it will wonder, "How did this absolutely normal person figure out something that Luke was never able to?"

This is my own personal SW fanfic philosophy, but I reason that Star Wars is best when it's a rowdy adventure, not a philosophical head-scratcher. The beauty of Yoda's monologue to Luke (the ESB one, not the TLJ one) is that the simplicity of the surrounding story gave Yoda space to say things like "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." We weren't busy wondering about his complex backstory or why Luke wasn't able to decipher a lost language by doing this or that and going here and there and--you get the picture.

19. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Actually, I've been revising the lore about Tython, about how the Jedi Order was first formed there, the inspiration the LS/ DS duality drew from the twin moons, and the Force Wars, and I have considered making it so that only someone who is, or was on the Dark Side could open the tomb. That would explain why Luke couldn't open the tomb, while my OC could( she was on the Dark Side once, and still has moments where she comes close to it). As for shooting myself, I wrote the whole artifact explanation because I didn't like Luke's characterisation in TFA/ TLJ, so I needed a reason for him to go to Ahch-To other than going into an exile. I didn't think this trough, and now I have to make it up as I go.

I have slightly different beliefs. I believe all plot holes must be filled and explained.

Little knowledge is preserved to these days about the artifact's creator. Luke only found out about this artifact in ancient texts, and set off to look for it because he is desperate to kill Snoke( who turned out to be the ancient entity he previously read about while trying to fix Ben).

As for me, I do believe they were ancient Force Users that were there before the Jedi, probably before the Force Users even colonized Tython( sorry if there are any lore inconsistencies, I am making this up as I go). Another idea I am thinking about is making them another group of Force users who attempted to colonize Ahch-To around the same time as the others colonized Tython, and studied the Force independently. There they developed a relic that could trap the essence of someone else inside it and preserve it( which Luke hopes to use to seal away Snoke), and fought wars over it's power. Then, after deciding the relic is too dangerous to be used, and being unable to destroy it, they seal it inside a tomb. After that the civilization either died out( most likely during the second case of their origin), or left and decided to colonize Tython due to an unspecified cataclysm( Maybe their cities drowned in water for some reason?) But like I said, I improvised most of this as I wrote to this post, and then it doesn't make sense why only a Dark Sider can open it.

The artifact doesn't have any message, but it can be used for aforementioned purposes. And only Force Users can use it.

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Are we allowed to include links to our fanfics in our signatures?

21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    If they’re posted here on these boards, the yes, absolutely! Plenty of us here do that (myself included). I think the boards may have some kind of upper limit on how many links can be in a person’s signature, or on how many lines of text, or both, but within those boundaries it’s totally fine. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Great news. Thank you!

Findswoman likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I think the limit on links is five.

Findswoman likes this.
  24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Is there any indication in canon as to who was piloting the X-wing that crashed in front of the Inflictor on Jakku?

[​IMG]

brodiew likes this.
  25. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Maybe it was my own headfanon, but wasn't the pilot the same one who owned the helmet that Rey puts on in TFA?

Chyntuck likes this.