main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Discussion/Critique of the art within Marvel comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Have you looked at the Goodwin-Williamson Classic Star Wars? Nunes was very much in Williamnson's style.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    If they just used screenshots from the OT and put words on them, I wonder if that would be an improvement.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I would honestly say yes. Or at least, it wouldn't be so painfully freakish-looking.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s actually getting worse. Seriously. Are they really going to use no other artist for the main line?

5. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    this could be the ultimate star wars comics monkey paw wish
    *your wish is granted*
    "the new artist the guy that did the mace windu comic"
    [face_laugh]

Hypatia and AV-6R7 like this.
  6. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Art in Dr Aphra and Poe comics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

7. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Ashley Witter's done some brilliant work on the Aphra covers - I'd love to see more of her work.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Q is how fast can she do it? Which might rule her out of a monthly but not a mini.

Mark Brooks is not a monthly artist, but people here still rave about his work on the Han Solo mini, that might be the best option for Witter too.

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Allen Nunis was a protege of Williamson, right down to the former frequently throwing some of the latter's famous "space mushrooms" into his artwork. Nunis actually worked on Classic Star Wars, expanding and retouching Williamson's original artwork to fit the comic book format. I'd love to see him do a Star Wars book - it would be the closest thing to having Williamson back - but alas, as far as I can tell Nunis retired a long time ago.

10. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    The stories have been the best they have ever been in the main title. Kieron Gillen, in just one story arc, has turned Luke Skywalker into a Rebel, Han into a leader, and Princess Leia into a sympathetic character. But none of that will matter, because all anyone will remember about these issues is how poorly the traced artwork has been.

Larroca won't leave on his own though. Star Wars has to be Marvel's most lucrative title for an artist, seeing as how it is still Marvel's top selling ongoing book after 3 years. It is sad that an editor hasn't stepped in and asked Larroca to quit tracing. Maybe now that Jordan White is leaving, someone will speak up and remind the creative team comics are a visual medium and good artwork is just important as good stories.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be fair, he wouldn't have just rocked up and started on SW without an editor assigning him the book.

That and Marvel's attitude to artists was made very clear last year in some surprisingly candid quips.

12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I imagine very few of us want Larroca to leave permanently, it's just that his art has reached oversaturation at this point and others need to be rotated in as well (like how the first 25 issues were done). He's on practically the longest streak of any artist on a SW book ever (I say practically because my knowledge of the old Marvel stuff is extremely limited).

Thank goodness for the other ongoings (especially Poe), I can't imagine how disappointing it would be if the main title was the only game in town.

13. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    I picked up an issue of Poe last month and Aphra first vol last week and art in both were pretty bad. Did the artists changed?

Or is this a sarcastic comment?

14. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I don’t believe they were being sarcastic. My personal opinion is Aphra > Poe >>>>>> Star Wars

Jedi Jessy and tatooinesandworm like this.
  15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Agreeed. Art in Aphra is my current favorite ongoing.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  16. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Yes, I was not sarcastic about it :p. Aphra has an amazing art, I prefer it than the art of Star Wars comics

17. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Maybe they could alternate story arcs? I guess it depends how far ahead they can get the book written to give the artists the time they need.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, they did previously do just that! It's how the main book had the roster of:
    • Cassaday
    • Immonen
    • Deodato
    • Yu
    • Some other artist
    Then Larocca transferred from Vader and stayed put.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Fair enough. I'm still catching up on the trades. Based on comments here about the current art I'm hoping they go back to a bit more variety soon.

20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Please don't let Larroca draw the next Star Wars arc.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, fortunately, it's mostly only restricted to the Star Wars title.

People are currently raving over Thrawn's art, heard good things about Rogue One and Aphra and there's the new Vader book too.

22. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Unfortunately Star Wars #46 relies too heavily on tracing, again. Anyone notice all the panels where we see the back of characters heads? We need an entire issue like that! It would be an improvement ...

Larroca has got to go!

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  23. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  24. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Stop!

It burns!

SSSSsssssssss!

vncredleader likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's a shame, because I am enjoying the current arc of Star Wars, but I have to kind of pay less attention to the art. It's always fun appreciating good comic art, so when it's subpar the experience is dampened a little.

Like, Dustin Weaver just wrote a retrospective blog post about his work on KOTOR and he included some sketches he had made for his issues and I'm just like damn, now that's how it's done.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018