main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's New Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BucMan-55, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_FORCE_I

I_FORCE_I Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2017
    I think she will wield the Green. I want her to build a double bladed light saber but I doubt it. She could even take the two busted Skywalker pieces and use the shard of red from Luke's necklace he found to get a purple hue.. That said, my money is on Artoo has the green. That will be Artoo only use in the movie. Shoot it to Rey then power down... that's what Artoo does these days (ST)

2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    *votes for yellow*

Someone needs a yellow saber.

(unless it can be more than one color...)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Avnar likes this.
  3. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    A double-bladed lightsaber, I think, is too much of a callback to the PT; they've made it clear they wanna avoid that at all costs.

Though it's possible, I rather doubt it...

She might not even have a lightsaber at all. A disturbing thought, but, hey, that's something 'new and fresh.'

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see how as TLJ is packed with callbacks.

The Lightsaber is question is chief among them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  5. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Not technically, since it was in ANH and TESB.

And I meant callbacks that didn't mock or belittle the PT.

6. DarthPunisher

DarthPunisher Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2018
    its a shame it won't be red!

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I reckon it'll be a blue cross-bladed sword.

8. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    As long as she doesn't fly around with one of those idiotic helicopter lightsabers that we saw in Rebels, I don't mind what she has.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    On the contrary, I don't feel they want to avoid callbacks to the PT. TFA was full of them, (details of which has been discussed elsewhere), and TLJ although not in terms of specific story elements or nods, did have many similarities from an aesthetic and visual standpoint that was reminiscient of the PT.

I for one am really hoping (perhaps beyond hope) for a double-bladed lightsaber. With how adept and fond she is of that staff, it seems a natural choice for Rey. Although I am very against the idea of no lightsaber at all. We really didn't get a lightsaber duel at all in TLJ, and I would hope we aren't taken even further away from those great duels for Episode IX. I hope to see an epic one-it's time for a new favorite!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  10. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Stupid question, because I don't know the answer.

So Rey's lightsaber (ie, the legacy saber), did the crystal break in two or did the break only occur to the housing?

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That helicopter thing was wack.

12. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    The OT gave us single-bladed lightsabers
    Then the PT gave us double-bladed sabers
    The ST gave us three-bladed sabers

Clearly the next logical step is for Rey to build a four-bladed lightsaber to one-up Ben yet again

BigAl6ft6 and rorow1 like this.
  13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Or Rey goes all Ahsoka Tano and doesn't build one lightsaber, she builds two.

11-4D, Revanfan1 and Vinylshadow like this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    My guess is she'll have an eleven bladed lightsaber if only so she can tell Kylo, "this one goes to eleven".

Vinylshadow and Birkendoc like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    You know, I'd actually love that even more than a double-blade.

Django Fett likes this.
  16. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I want Rey to have a generic blue lightsaber.

I also don't want the movie to talk about where it came from.

I'd much rather see sausage being made from the less desirable cuts of a Nabooean Livestock Tick than I would Rey's super-duper new lightsaber.

All that stuff of marginal importance (at best) belongs in ancillary materials like visual dictionaries and cartoons and nowhere near the movies.

I would be shocked--shocked!--if true auteur and Mystery Box Maestro Abrams decides to waste precious seconds of the Solo-Skywalker saga's final film on something no one in the general audience gives a toss about.

Also, get off my lawn.

TK327 likes this.
  17. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Another option could be Rey goes back to Ahch-To and retrieves Luke's green lightsaber... The same one held over Ben's head as he slept... Which would certainly have a lot of dramatic impact.

She's a scavenger, so a part of me would like her to stay true to that. The staff would also be specific to her.

Either the cracked blue crystal created into something jagged like Kylo's or Luke's green lightsaber that ties into Ben's most personal and emotional past brought before him again.

I do think it should be a scavenged legacy crystal, whether the casing/design remains the same or not.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    yanote likes this.
  18. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    That blue crystal is making its way into the Kylosaber at some point. Just my prediction. When he turns, his saber is going to reflect that change too. No more erratic chaotic red blade. It'll be that black hilt with the Anakin smooth blue/white. Truly AGFFA's Excalibur.

19. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Since Rey is supposed to be something different- a new type of force user that takes the Jedi's place as protector of the light, I'd like to see her have a different weapon than the traditional saber. A double sided saber would be interesting too but we've already seen that in the PT and in other canon materials as well. I'd prefer to see this scavenger take her staff and the broken Skywalker saber's crystal and combine them into a spear/ halberd style weapon. As far as the color is concerned, I would be fine with it remaining blue, but I also think a yellow or white blade would be a most welcome sight on the big screen.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "And I will not be the Last Jedi."

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd be really happy if she somehow built the remnants of Skywalker's saber / the kyber crystal into her staff, so it's sort of a cross between double-bladed Darth Maul and her staff. Basically, I'm thinking it's her regular staff but she flips a switch and it becomes double-saber (and maybe she can turn one side off to be a blunt staff for a second as opposed to deadly saber)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    That could be an interesting scene... Imagine watching her dive under the water and retrieve it from Lukes X-wing! Now how does rust work in the GFFA?? [face_thinking]

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Tough answer but it looked like only the housing, however, the crystal did look jagged but, y'know, it's a crystal...

24. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    If she can pull off the choreography of duel wielding then that would get my vote. for me 2 green lightsabers would be my choice.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    My guess? Her new light saber will look like a figure eight which is weird because it’s the ninth movie not that Rey knows that. I’m just thinking outside the bun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.