main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Saving Return of the Jedi just with editing.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by starwarsfan54, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    As it is. Without the miraculous leap. Without a lightsaber. And with only a well placed stick and the old faithful "lucky" shot with a skull before being recaptured. The reveal at the sail barge of Luke's aptitude is still preserved. It's not really the same thing as taking on dozens of armed bad guys while rescuing your friends.

2. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Alternate dialogue during the final confrontation with Vader and Palpatine.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I didn't like that particular element of the Rancor scene. Luke's telekinesis abilities had been established at the beginning of ESB, during his duel with Vader and in Jabba's palace when he 'Force-grabbed' a guard's blaster. Him throwing a skull looked as if he had forgotten these abilities temporarily. "How uncivilized" :p

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I like the idea from @Martoto77 about seeing a ship arriving from the pov from in the hangar, I think this would have been perfect for the arrival of the Emperor. The camera moving down the row of troopers to come to a stop at the end as the shuttle is coming in to view from the hangar entrance, build up his appearance a bit more.

I was never too fussed about the re-use of footage from the previous films, in fact I'd always assumed it was new footage in Jedi. The worst example of footage re-use is the insertion of Vaders shuttle landing on The Executor in the Empire SE and we even see Jerjerord as the camera pans right. That is such an annoying change that really grates with me.

I never even gave that a thought until I became a cynical adult.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    As Laurence Olivier would always say . Never show them your "top" until you absolutely need to.

Jabba is enraged but still contemptuous of the Jedi's powers. This complacency is what enables Luke to get everyone outside for a real rescue attempt.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I wholeheartedly concur, in addition it's a bay of a regular Star Destroyer and not what I'd expect to see aboard a Super Star Destroyer.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given how huge the Super Star Destroyer's "main bay" is:

I see it as quite plausible that, within the huge bay, there could be multiple smaller bays consisting of the "Star Destroyer hangar" component - with Vader landing in one of those.

8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    That may well be, but the fact its clearly an alternative angle from un-used Jedi footage featuring Jerjerod is the main problem for me.

Martoto77 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  9. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I concur. I like that addition. And I love that Super Star Destroyer.

I think that multiple bays is quite correct. For all we know that could be the VIP bay versus several other large bays for vessels, fighters, supply ships etc.

As for ROTJ I really liked the film. What an ending also. That uplifting music.

I watched the Special Edition again this week. So good!

Only change I would make is from what I heard about the Blu Ray, is that they added Vader screaming "Nooo". I would keep it as it was, as the silence is what makes it so powerful.

But I like the additions of the Fett clone voice etc. And the celebrations etc.

I mean some of the suggestions appear more like plot points. But if we're going down that route, than surely you would have the Imperial Fleet obliterate this Rebel scum once and for all.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Personally, I think that scene was totally unnecessary, maybe second only to the Jabba scene in ANH. Seeing Vader's shuttle in ESB minimizes the effect in ROTJ, even DESTROYS it. We don't need that shuttle in ESB, nor do we need to see it landing in EXACTLY (visually speaking!) the same hangar we see in ROTJ. As I recall, every single episode (I'm talking I to VII here) opened with a NEW ship(s) in the opening sequence. ROTJ was no exception. No longer! Now the Imperial shuttle is no longer "that new ship" because they absolutely had to include it in ESB [face_tired]. WHY? Could Lucas not just have NOT made that scene and left the whole "Vader arriving in his new shuttle to meet Jerjerrod" till the next movie? This way the ROTJ opening is reduced to just a repetition of what we already saw in ESB. I simply don't get the point. Why not make a new ANH special special edition where we see Vader's super star destroyer? Let's throw in some TIE interceptors at the Battle of Yavin as well! Hey, let's have some CGI AT-ATs in the background in Mos Eisley in ANH too.. that would be fun.[face_phbbbbt]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken that's not true. Episode II opens with Padme's ship, which is the same as in Episode I. And Episode V opens with a Star Destroyer, which we have seen in the previous episode.

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    While you're correct with ESB, the ship at the start of AOTC is a new design, still chrome plated like the TPM model though.

oierem likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Thanks for the info! :)

15. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    ROTJ is actually near perfect in terms of editing. What's funny is that ESB specifically and some of ANH is what I'd love to re-edit(even though I wouldn't touch a damn thing).

16. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Rotj is my favorite movie and I wouldn’t change anything in the editing room. I will agree that’s Endor started getting a little boring when they got captured by the Ewoks, and I think that a final showdown on ground between the rebels and empire would have been great, the space battle and final throne duel made up for the lack of that.

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I concur wholeheartedly. My even bigger issue with that scene is that it not only disturbs the beautiful pace of the Falcon escaping Cloud City by interrupting it, but that it does interrupt John Williams beautiful "Hyperspace" music theme.

18. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    A few years ago, a guy managed to get a laserdisc of missing scenes from ROTJ in Yoda's home. Its pretty cool. But I did hear that originally Luke wasn't supposed to go to Dagobah again.

19. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Not quite! We do see a Naboo ship in TPM, the one Padmé and the Jedi use to fly to Tatooine and Coruscant. This one:
    [​IMG]

What we see in AOTC is the "Naboo Royal Cruiser" if I'm not mistaken. Looks pretty different:
    [​IMG]

As for the star destroyer in ESB, it's a more advanced model than the ANH one, a new generation of SD, so while similar in appearance not really the same kind of ship. In this case I admit the difference is pretty minor though.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Tosche_Station likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that they use the 3 ft ANH model and the 7 ft TESB model interchangably to represent the same ship, in the "ion cannon shoots Star Destroyer" sequence, they may not have originally intended that the TESB model represent a more advanced design - it may just have been a "better prop for close-ups".

Nowadays, they're considered different designs - but it's still possible that they're contemporaneous with one another - having slightly different weapons, but filling the same niche.

21. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    OK, good point! I had not thought of that. I actually thought the ESB type SD was really meant to be a new advanced class as well as larger than the ANH type.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    At the moment, the newcanon (and Legends too) call the two variants "Imperial I" and "Imperial II" and have them the same length - 1600m.

23. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    OK thanks for clearing this up. In that case I'd have to take the probe droid pods we see leaving the SD hangar bay at the beginning of ESB and define those as new "spaceships", to support my initial statement that we see a "new" one at the beginning of each episode.[face_laugh]

Tosche_Station and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    And I had thought I did make a convincing case that the new Rogue One Dauntless-class design (incorporating design elements of both the 3 footer and the 7 footer) solved that issue, i.e. it was a Dauntless-class Star Destroyer in that scene from ESB.

"slightly" remains an understatement, IMHO. Vader's Devastator featured what look like big guns for (long-range) broadside exchange:

[​IMG]

In contrast the ESB Star Destroyer model featured (flak) gun emplacements that looked as if the Empire had finally acknowledged the 'snubfighter thread' and commissioned a new class for that:

[​IMG]

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You can see the guns as the ship begins "sinking" - they're 8 barreled, not the 2 barrelled guns of the Rogue One and ANH destroyers. The main engines in the "sinking shot" also lack the triple vanes, present on both ANH destroyers and Rogue One destroyers.

The ship goes from ANH-style:

[​IMG]

to TESB-style:

[​IMG]

because they use both props.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018