main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Humor that worked for you in the Prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Dwarf Vader, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Dwarf Vader

Dwarf Vader Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2017
    Hello,
    First, an introduction. Long time lurker here--first time poster. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I'm a die hard old school fan from the OT days (I was 12 back in '77), but I LOVE the Prequels. I've actually grown to love them more than the OT films. In fact, AOTC is my favorite Star Wars film, and I say it proudly.

Anyhow... What humor did you think worked in the Prequels? While a lot of it was obviously not so good, here is a list of what worked for me:

• Dex hitching his pants up with an extra arm as he gave Obi Wan a hug. (episode 2)
    • Obi Wan replying to Anakin's explaining they decided to come rescue him: "Good job!" (2)
    • Obi Wan battling Jango on Kamino: "Oh, not good!" (2)
    • Deathsticks mind trick bit (2)
    • The Geonosian snapping to attention as Dooku walks by (before interrogation, I think) (2)
    • Watto casually knocking Jar Jar out of his way in the Pod Race hangar (1)
    • Jabba's method of starting the Pod race (1)
    • Jabba getting bored and flicking that little alien (anyone know it's name?) of the ledge during the race (1)
    • Jabba falling asleep during the Pod race (1)
    • Battle droids panic as Obi Wan and Anakin wreak havoc on the bridge of Grievous' ship: "Run!" (3)
    • Same scene just before, battle droid turning over the lightsabers to Grievous sarcastically: "You're welcome." (3)
    There was of course, some humor that I didn't appreciate quite as much, but I prefer to be diplomatic, especially since I love these films so much.

2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Good thread!

Let's see:

- Obi-Wan's negotiations joke. It's so dry it makes me chuckle.
    -ALL of Obi-Wan and Anakin's banter during the Zam Wessell chase
    -I do actually enjoy some of Jar Jar. Like when Obi-Wan asks "What's this?" And Jar Jar gives him a cheeky ass smile.
    - Of course the "Good job" line.
    - ALL of Obi-Wan and Anakin's banter when rescuing Palaptine in Episode III.
    - Obi-Wan sarcastically telling Anakin to spend a glorious day with politicians.
    -Anakin telling Obi-Wan he owes him for saving him.
    -Obi-Wan being cocky when facing General Grievous.
    -Battle Droid kicking R2.
    - and more. But those come to mind. :p

3. Dwarf Vader

Dec 10, 2017
    Glad you enjoyed the thread!
    Those are all good (though I don't appreciate Jar Jar the way those who grew up with him might--I was an adult, so my experience was different).

One I forgot:

After defeating Grievous, Obi Wan: "So uncivilized."

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It's also a nice callback to Obi Wan's speech about the lightsaber in ANH.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Oddly enough, that's one line I really liked early on but don't think is the perfect way to handle it now. It's a bit too on the nose. Having Obi Wan look at the weapon, shaking his head and then throwing it away would have worked better in my mind.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  6. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I can pretty much echo the above posts. To over generalize it I would say any of the points where a quip, jab or bit of snark was inserted to what would have been a high stress/dangerous situation shared by the characters.

The slapstick gags are great as well, Artoo careening into the wall and shaking his head droid style afterwards always gets a chuckle.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Always on the move. Just how it’s said is great.

8. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    "Hey you wanna buy some Death Sticks?"

"You don't want to sell me Death Sticks..."

"I don't want to sell you Death Sticks..."

"You want to go home and rethink your life..."

"
    I'm going to go home and rethink my life."

Smile

The Jedi fighting crime in a civilised orderly and efficient meritocratic Galactic Empire would be the ideal outcome for the galaxy. Obi Wan just won the war on drug crime there and then.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  9. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    - "Lost a planet Mister Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing!"

Loved seeing Yoda all gleeful with his school kids.

- "I'd much rather dream about Padme."

Brilliant use dark humour and foreshadowing.

- Nute Gunray. Just his weasely personality makes me laugh.

Huttese 101 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Watto did make me lol when he denied QGJ's mind trick for republic credits "No they won't !"

MarcJordan likes this.
  11. Dwarf Vader

Dec 10, 2017
    Much belatedly....

"Watto did make me lol when he denied QGJ's mind trick for republic credits "No they won't !""

How could I have forgotten this?? One of the best lines in the PT, imo. Literally made me laugh out loud. Watto was so insistent, and by this point, you could see that he was getting annoyed. Not only a great line, but also great character building.

12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Not to mention "do you think you are some kind of Jedi, waving your hand like that?". [face_laugh]

CaraJinn and DarthTalonx like this.
  13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    another one that made me laugh which is a very dry delivery : when Dooku says to Kenobi after their conversation - "it may be difficult to secure your release ."

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  14. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    From the Geonosis arena battle

Anakin- You call this a diplomatic solution?

Padme- No, I call it aggressive negotiations.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Qui-Gon grabbing Jar Jar’s tongue in TPM. Each time I went to the cinema to watch it that moment got a big laugh. Also, Obi-Wan's deathsticks mind trick is pretty funny.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  16. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    There's a funny moment between R2 and Palps in ROTS , it's just an exchange of looks really when they're on that ship that has just split in 2 and Anakin is trying to bring it in to land . I especially like it 'cos you'd never think of a moment normally between those 2 characters .

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    When Yoda knocks out the Royal Guards in ROTS. Also, when he force pushes Palpatine soon after, sending him tumbling over the chair.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  18. Scott109

Scott109 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2016
    “Why do I get the feeling you’re going to be the death of me?”

“You wanna buy some death sticks.”
    “You don’t want to sell me death sticks.”
    “I don’t wanna sell you death sticks.”
    “You want to go home and rethink your life.”
    “I wanna go home and rethink my life.”

“Oh, not good.”

“Then we decided to come and rescue you.”
    “Good job.”

“What about Padmé?”
    “She seems to be on top of things.”

“Oh this is such a drag . . . I am quite beside myself.”

“Not to worry. We are still flying half a ship.”

“Another happy landing.”

19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    "I love democracy"
    Not really "humor" but very ironic.
    "Sounds a lot like a dictatorship to me" - "Well... if it works"
    Again not really humor but clever ironic foreshadowing

DarthTalonx likes this.
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I felt there was a decent amount of appropriately SW-style humor in the PT.

TPM:
    -"You're right about one thing master-the negotiations WERE short!" (Could've been delivered better, but I LOL'd in the theater at this)
    -"What, you think you're some kind of JEDI, waving your hand around like that?!" (Great one)
    -"I don't care WHAT universe you're from-that's GOTTA hurt!" (Kinda cheezy but still a funny in-universe turn on that classic line)

AOTC:
    -"Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?" (Okay, some people see it as forced/cheezy, but I see it as ironic-maybe he really WAS sensing that as a possible future, and just wasn't acknowledging it)
    -The whole deathstick scene
    -3PO's hilarious cheezy-on-purpose puns ("Oh this is such a drag! I'm quite beside myself.")
    -"You call this a diplomatic solution?" "No, I call it aggressive negotiations!" (a great line from a film like this in the middle of a chaotic action scene)

ROTS:
    -"Always on the move."
    -The conversation about R2 holding his own (loose wire jokes)
    -"Do you have a plan B?"
    -"We LOST something." (probz my favorite humorous line in all the PT-perfectly placed, and funny because of its obvious understatement)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Prime Jedi and DarthTalonx like this.
  21. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    I think R2 had a good bit of comic moments in the beginning of ROTS. I liked where those big droids picked him up, he shoots some kind of oil on the floor and then sets in on fire to get away from them.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Awesome thread! Agree with all the humorous lines already mentioned. Classics. Ewan in particular was great at delivering these lines in a subtle, humorous way.
    Like when, he tells Lama-Su and Taun-We "That's, why I'm here." It always meant a lot to me. Like serious and humorous. It's hard to articulate, but I love his line reading there.
    Also, when Zam Wesell, one of my all time favorite characters, complains "It's just a job." That is thrice tragic, ironic, and humorous depending on who's side you're on.
    Dex and Watto are both excellent too.
    It's humorously tragic when Watto tries to get Ani to help him with some deadbeats in AotC. Hayden's response is brilliant and eradicates any humor.
    That subtle interplay between tears and laughter is part of why AOTC is one of my favorite films.
    Like even if some parts of it seem rough, there is usually a smooth side too. You just have to pay attention and look for it.

23. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    "No, I call it Aggressive Negotiations!"

Oh Padme!

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  24. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    Haha a lot of the ones I found funny have already been said, but l have a few that haven't been spoken yet

TPM:
    QGJ: "The Queen trust's my judgement"

*Qui Gon patronizingly bends down to reach Padme's height*

"You should too"

Padme: *Glares at him angrily* "You assume too much"

In my own personal interpretation, QGJ had already figured out that Padme was the Queen at this point, which made it even more funnier to me.

AOTC:
    Wasn't really humour, but I love Jocasta's "If an item does not appear in our archives, It does not exist"
    C3PO: "Die Jedi dogs!-Oh wait!"
    Obi-Wan: "Your senses(Powers? cant remember exactly) aren't that attuned my young apprentice"
    Anakin: "And yours are?"
    Obi-Wan: *Looks at Anakin and pauses*
    "Possibly"

ROTS:
    Again, not intended humour, and I truly honestly do think this scene is incredibly sweet and sad especially with the beautiful variant of Across the Stars playing but this just gets me
    Anakin: "You're so...beautiful"
    Padme: "It's only because I'm so inlove"
    Anakin: "NO its because Im so in love with you"

Even tho I did find it quite a bit funny, I'll defend this scene in a heartbeat if I see any PT haters slander and mock it as well :p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  25. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    How come no one has mentioned the subtle, glass-cutting humor of this moment?