main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga To those who think the ST killed Star Wars, how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BoulderFaceplant, Jan 19, 2018.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Quoth the Rush:

"All this machinery
    Making modern music
    Can still be open-hearted
    Not so coldly charted
    It's really just a question
    Of your honesty, yeah your honesty"

Same applies to cinema.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  2. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    Right now I need therapy after seeing TLJ because I honestly don't know what to think of the Saga now. [face_laugh]

Here is my take on the SW Saga movies and my dilemma:

-I love the OT

-I like the PT

-I enjoy the 1-6 story

-I love TFA

-I absolutely hate TLJ!!!!!

So I have many options:

-Walk away now from the ST and enjoy the 1-6, but it means I have to give up TFA (which I really enjoy).

-Have a different take on the Saga and see it 1-7, where the end of the Saga is Luke/Rey and the galaxy goes on to the next generation......

-Wait for Episode 9 and see if JJ can salvage the ST (maybe the theme of the Light/Dark that will sum up the 9 movies through Rey/Kylo Ren?)

-Give Episode 8 another shot, and 'live with it' for the sake of enjoying the eventual 1-9 story if JJ can save it?

Gets off couch and is ready for my next therapy session next week...... [face_laugh]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    lookameatbag and TripleZero like this.
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    CGI isn't inherently great.

Practical effects aren't inherently great.

It's how you use the two to create a seamless world that's important.

4. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I'm not sure anything could kill Star Wars for me, since I don't believe Star Wars needs new films to be alive, but TLJ has definitely dampened my enthousiasm for future Star Wars films to an all time low. I simply cannot accept the ST's premise of undoing all of the classic character's personal growth,and achievements for the sake of retreading the Empire vs rebels scenario, whilst tossing many of the underlying themes Lucas built into his saga out of the window. On the plus side it's caused me to re-evaluate Lucas' prequels, and conclude that his six film saga contains the heart and soul of Star Wars.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I've started reading this "Thrawn Trilogy" everyone loves so much.

CLee and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You may fall in love with the storyline.

7. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    There's no "coping", needed.

The mediocre third season of Star Trek: TOS (minus Roddenberry and Coon) didn't kill my love for the first two seasons.

Modern Simpsons didn't kill my love for the Groening/Simon/Brooks classic era.

The Mousehouse travesties haven't killed my love for Lucas's Saga.

In the beginning, Anakin Skywalker and the galaxy fell into darkness; in the end, Luke and Leia Skywalker brought them back into the light. And they lived happily ever after.

8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I've known the broad strokes of it for so long and I've put it off till now.

So much great Legends material to fill the gap in. Not that I hate the ST, there just is something different about it, and I want that different take that the old EU provides.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    What are you, some kind of nerd?

BLemelisk likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The PT killed Star Wars. The ST just debased its corpse.

only one kenobi likes this.
  11. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I'll uptick my sci fi audio book habit. I'll still see Solo and Ep IX with the wife in a dinner theatre. I owe the ghost of SW that much even if I don't owe Disney two viewings of anything going forward.

12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I take comfort in the fact I am not alone in my opinions of the ST. And I reminisce of what I loved about Star Wars. Not what it has become.

TripleZero and wobbits like this.
  13. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Simple. I look at The Last Jedi as Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money. Just without the irony.

Look at some of the things that have been complained about:

General Hux is incompetent, just like Col. Sanders.

Kylo Ren is kind of a weenie who doesn't need his mask and is obsessed with the heroine like Dark Helmet.

Supreme Leader Snoke is just a creepy old guy like President Scroob.

Poe seems like a parody of Han Solo or Captain Kirk like Lone Starr.

The humor (Poe trolling Hux, Luke milking the sea cow, Luke chucking the saber) would not be out of place in a Mel brooks flick.

Even some of the things fans and critics felt hamfisted (the Holdo and Poe story, Rose's monologue at Canto Bight) felt like a parody of when a sci-fi movie tries too hard to say something important, like say Avatar, and the audiences starts to check their watches.

I could go on. But you see my point.

14. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    ^^^^^This.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and DrDre like this.
  15. Annikin Starkiller

Annikin Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2017
    The other day i realized something terrible as a SW fan.

I don care anymore. I have zero interest on whatever happens to Rey, Kylo, Finn or Poe. I remeber back in the day between AOTC and ROTS i was ethusiastic about ROTS, even when i alredy knew how it will end but i was so eager to see how Anakin became Darth Vader how the Jedi disapeared, etc.

But in the ST i dont have any interest on the fate of the characters. I did not like TFA, but TLJ broke the saga for me. And one phrase of Poe represent perfectly why i dont care. The infamous "we are the spark" phrase of Poe restars basically the saga to ANH, again outnumbered Rebels fight against a Galactic Empire, nothing of whatever happened on the previous films matterd, all sacrifices, all the decisions just to go back to the start. So why i would care about the ST characters? I already cared for other characters and all what they did was useless acording to ST

16. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    TLJ broke the saga for me as well. As far as episode IX is concerned, I'm only really looking forward to Kylo Ren's arc. I can only imagine how an unstable nihilist is going to run the First Order.

The only other think that can soften the blow is GOOD canon material durning the ST era. Bloodline was a great book, which does Leia more justice than TFA and TLJ combined. Also, the Poe Dameron comic series is the only currently good Star Wars comics at the moment. Much like Leia in Bloodline, he's just simply more well-written, and his adventures are more engaging compared to what he's given in the ST.

17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I am curious as to how TLJ will hold up in the years and decades to come and how the ST will be viewed more generally.

I suspect and I hope that the ST will receive its due criticism and scrutiny once the hype and novelty have worn off.

As it is-I was never particularly enthusiastic about the ST and was devastated when the old eu was declared non canon-TLJ didn't change that it just confirmed an attitude I already had regarding the ST-one somewhere between hostility and indifference.

Maybe the best way to sum up my feelings is a sort of disdainful disinterest or contemptuous dislike or something to that affect-I struggle to put my feelings in words-that's the best way I can approximate what I feel about these movies.

My hope is that in the future people will look back at these movies and will say "they really weren't good and they were just dull soft reboots of the OT spiced up new CGI".

The Legends Star Wars universe while defunct still holds my eternal love and interest so I haven't abandoned Star Wars.

BLemelisk likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Is anyone else here hoping that their enjoyment of TFA and hope for how Episode IX will turn out will help them "accept" things they don't like about TLJ? Things that, without the merits of those other two, would cause one to otherwise dislike TLJ?

That's pretty much where I'm at; I'm sort of "forcing" myself to give TLJ the benefit of the doubt, in hopes that the trilogy as a whole will shine brighter than the (IMO) lows of that one installment.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    No, I'm not there yet. Right now I couldn't care less about the next Episode and am not interested in rewatching TFA any time soon even though I liked it. Just give me a fun film with a great story in Solo. That's all I am interested in at the moment.

20. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    I'm sort of in this boat. I loved TFA and was VERY disappointed with TLJ. Now in fairness, I will watch TLJ next week on Blu Ray for the first time since the theater so I don't know if my opinion will change of the movie. But if Episode 9 is really good, then I may just 'put up' with TLJ, as I'm hoping it will grow on me in time. I don't need to love every SW movie, but the movie has to have replay value and make the other movies better by giving them another layer we didn't see before. That is how I feel about the PT as I don't love the movies, but I do love the story and how it enriches the OT.

DARTH_BELO and Tosche_Station like this.
  21. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I think for me it's next to impossible for Episode 9 to mitigate the damage done by TLJ. Apart from the fact that TLJ didn't adhere to the rules of the Star Wars universe by giving Rey instant Force powers, when Lucas has clearly stated it takes many years of studying to become a Jedi, to reach that place of enlightenment, I really can't see how a victory in episode 9 would ever become meaningful for me. I mean, the ST would have us believe that some random Force wielder can just come along and without explanation push the reset button to get us right back where we started. In the process it also sacrificed the development of many of the classic characters off-screen in an effort to push the new characters to the foreground. What's to stop any future writer from just doing the same to the new characters?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  22. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    While TFA is an entertaining movie, it's also an incredibly shallow movie that didn't bother to establish the mythology of the ST nor to continue the story of previous six movies. Knowing J. J. Abrams to be the a person that usually walks paths well travelled before (read: Star Trek and Into Darkness), I hoped that TLJ will make TFA somewhat meaningful and, in a way, better, that it'll kindle my interest in SW again. Unfortunately, I can't decide which one is worse.
    Like the posters above, I'm not particularly interested in Ep 9. What can they do? Rey will be the one who'll rebuild the Jedi Order? What an utter anticlimax! The Republic? I doubt J. J. will bother. I don't care about the Resistance or Rebels, don't care about the ST characters, the ones I did care about are either gone or, well, Carrie Fisher, although in these movies she was treated the way she was in ROTJ.

Tosche_Station and wobbits like this.
  23. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Right now, they only thing that would make me interested in 9 is if they decide to tie the story together and there is an Anakin force ghost appearance. That would put my rear end in a seat. But I do not expect this to happen at all.

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I was telling a friend this a few months after it came out: the most damning thing I can say about TFA is that I only saw it once in theaters. Like, for me, that's a huge deal. Normally, any Star Wars movie release would have me watching it at least twice - there are a few franchises like this (Indiana Jones, James Bond) for whom that's almost a religious ritual. Even when, as with the last couple Bond movies, I'm not impressed by the movie, I usually still go again because 1) there are at least a few things in the movie that make it worth seeing again, and 2) I kind of want to give it another chance.

But TFA was just... so blandly uninteresting to me that I couldn't talk myself into it. There were one or two evenings when I was alone at home with nothing to do and thought "welp, this is the time to see it again, right?" But each time was just like... "nope. Just not feeling it. Let's see what's on Netflix." Never thought I'd feel that way about a Star Wars movie, but I did.

(Since then, we've had Rogue One, which I did see in theaters twice and didn't regret at all, and TLJ, which like TFA, just couldn't motivate me to go back. The sequel trilogy is just very much not my bag).

25. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    AnnikinStarkiller: It's not at all "terrible" to evince apathy towards the ST. We're simply in a place elemental to all literary/cinematic canons. All longstanding works leave a legacy that yields expansion. So it goes with Star Wars. Lucas is gone, his magnum opus complete. Nothing else is essential, only peripheral. Setting aside the medium, there's not much difference between the ST and the EU. Kylo Ren and Rey are no more essential to the central mythology than Thrawn or the moon that kills Chewie.