main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Jan 30, 2017.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Mark is hilarious.

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Am I a bad fan for not being hyped? I mean, I'm now at the point where I don't think I am gonna see it in theaters. There are so many movies I'm excited about, that I often forget this one even exists.

Lulu Mars and Ridley Solo like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Bad fan! No movie!

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I also am not totally excited for this film..
    Anyways 82 days.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'll definitely see Solo in the theater, but I'm less excited about its release than I have been about any other SW movie's upcoming release. The trailer helped get me more excited than I was before that, though.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah same here.....the trailer did help and I've already taken off work to see it multiple times but I'm just not as hyped as I've been for any of the others.

EHT likes this.
  8. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    I think the trailer was the nail in the coffin for me. I watch it, and nothing within me says "Hey! I wanna see that!"

Ridley Solo likes this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  10. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I don't plan on seeing it in theaters, but will wait to see it through Netflix. For me it isn't about a lack of excitement, and more not being able to justify spending the money seeing so many movies in theater.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  11. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    That's just it though, I'm incredibly excited for a great many other movies. I can't justify dropping the cash on that many movie nights at the theater - so I have to choose some to wait on. If you asked me to rank this summer's movies that I will eventually see based on excitement, Solo would be at the bottom of the list. I mean, I guess I'm lucky that there are enough new Star Wars films that I can pass on one, but I just can't bring myself to care about this one.

12. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I wasn't planning on seeing it at the theater after the trailer dropped. The only thing that changed my mind was the fact that the 501st is having another movie opening event, and costumed participants get a free movie ticket, popcorn, and a drink. ;) If I'm not spending money and having fun in costume with my fellow geeks, of course I'll go! [face_laugh]

Sarge and B99 like this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Me too! I don't know how many times I've thought "Oh yeah, there's a movie about Han Solo coming up".
    My level of anticipation is pretty much zero.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Not me. I can't wait. My enthusiasm is high and I expect this will be well delivered.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  16. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Out of genuine curiosity - what's that based off of?

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Disney is doing their best to give these movies TLC. They hired an acting coach which everyone threw a fit about but many movies hire acting coaches. All the negative reactions are overreactions. And the trailer looks good.

Sarge and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I was genuinely excited about this movie until last night.

What happened last night, you ask?
    Well, I dreamed that I saw the film, and it was... not great. Basically, it went like this: no "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", followed by a young Han who, as some sort of rite of passage, had to steal a vehicle. So he, by magic, transported to Earth. Specifically 1960's America (basically making American Grafitti canon), to steal a car. Then Emilia Clarke's character - who was with him for some reason - started transforming into a monster (this was played as dramatic). Then it turned out that monster was none other than Chewbacca.

I woke up truly hating the film. :p

OK, so weird, weird dream aside, I'm actually quite excited about the film - even if less so than for the movies that came before.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I... want to see that movie! :p

TheYodaPagoda and TCF-1138 like this.
  20. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm still debating whether I'll watch it on Thursday or Friday. I definitely don't want to miss it though!
    So far, I haven't been disappointed by Disney/Lucasfilm, and I'm sure they want a good return on their multi-billion dollar investment. I know BBYD didn't like Rogue One, and I loved it; whether the anthology films have universal appeal is up in the air, Rogue One did take a risk and brought back a bunch of money. The Last Jedi took plenty of risks as well, and I went crazy and saw it five times. I'm sure I'll see Solo at least a couple times...maybe.

21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    See, that's just it. I didn't think the trailer was good. It's pretty sure - but what's there, aside from the Star Wars name, to make me think, I want to see this movie? Imagine this were "Hal Yolo: A Sci-Fi Story," would you want to see it? I wouldn't give it the time of day.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It looks like a really fun movie to me so yeah I'd still want to see it. I'd have a problem with that name though. :p

Sarge, Revanfan1 and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But the Star Wars name and the film are closely linked. I never understood the whole "would you like this movie if it wasn't Star Wars" question that some people ask around here sometimes. I mean, if it weren't Star Wars it wouldn't be this movie.

Revanfan1 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    I mean, sure, but we can't use the Star Wars name as a reason why the movie is good. There are plenty of Star Wars canon stories out there that I haven't touched because, well, the story doesn't interest me. There's nothing in the trailer to separate this from any generic origin story movie. Considering we already know where this story winds up, it's pretty easy to predict the story beat for beat.
    Act I: Han considers the academy, drops it, wins the Falcon from Lando.
    Act II: Lando needs help with a con now that Han has his ship, they discover the Empire's mistreatment of wookiees and save Chewie.
    Act III: With the Empire on their tail, the only way out is through the infamous Kessel Run, which Han daringly competes in under 12 parsecs.
    Epilogue: They find a nice cantina on some backwater called Tattooine to hang out at.

Combine all that with a Han who doesn't look, sound, or act like Han, and we've got a movie that I'm relatively sure we're looking at a global box office haul of less than 500 mil. I'm all for anthology stories. I hope the Obi-Wan one happens. I would love to see one-off stories that don't involve main characters. I'm just still scratching my head trying to figure out why this one happened.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yes, if it were not SW it looks good enough to see. It would have my attention.

[​IMG]