main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Vehicles/Tech in the Han Solo Movie

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Mar 28, 2017.

1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The tractor beam emitters on the Stardestroyers are tiny compared to the dishes on the Arrestor. If the SD ones can haul in a big ship like the Tantive IV then how big a fish is the Arrestor after?

EDIT: Not that I think they're tractor beams anyway (EMP FTW).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Well it wouldn't really matter how strong the tractor beam is, the ship wouldn't be able to stop or haul anything with more mass and bigger engines than itself. Like @Lt. Hija mentioned it doesn't seem to have much in the way of engines, and thrust stuck facing rearwards isn't ideal especially when the dishes look to be limited to facing forwards. Basically for stopping/pulling/pushing other ships in space it is a very bad design. I'm not saying I don't like Colin's work, I do like it a lot, but he didn't design it for this purpose. The dishes were originally weapons, so I think some kind of EMP ship disabling weapon would be more appropriate for the design. But how would you differentiate this from ion cannons?

[​IMG]

4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    It might not be a HUGE fish the Arrestor is after..... the tractor beams would just need to be stronger than typical, in order to transport the captive ship through hyperspace. It could still be a sizable ship, or perhaps several smaller pirate ships at once. There could be a multi-ship pirate skirmish, then along comes the police wagon, and the brawlers are all getting hauled to the clink together.

5. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Hmm I don't know about tractoring ships in hyperspace. I really don't think you'd want to do it with a captured ship that still had its own hyperdrive operational. A ship ripping itself apart right in front of your ship in hyperspace can't be good for you.

One possibility I thought of is if this Arrestor cruiser is used specifically in conjunction with 1 or 2 Star destroyers. Anchor each side tractor beam dish onto a star destroyer, or even a moon or planet, and your ship now has enough mass and thrust to stop anything with the front tractor beam. If these large tractor beam dishes are more powerful, have longer range, and are more sensitive (catch smaller objects) than the smaller regular tractor beams on a Star Destroyer, then the Arrestor Cruiser would be a useful ship to have in your fleet.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Another possibility is that it's just the first ship Han is assigned to when he joins the Imperial Fleet.

He imagines being in cool black leather and armor as a hotshot TIE pilot, but he's a nobody ensign on a second rate cruiser that is failing at intercepting smugglers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    No matter how I try to wrap my mind around this design, the large parabolic dishes rather seem to suggest a communications or a scout ship (perhaps it just belongs to the Arrestor-class?).

8. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    This communication interceptor ship is operated by just two bored guys.
    Clint Howard's character: "Say 'Hey... uh... Black Sheep, this is... uh... Candy Cane'. Just... just say it. You'll be amazing."
    Han: (speaking into radio transmitter) "Hey, Black Sheep, this is Candy Cane.... I've been looking for you all day."
    Clint grabs microphone: "Hey there, Candy Cane, this is Black Sheep. I'm right on schedule." "Now, say 'I'll see you later on tonight, honey.' Go, go, go!"
    Han: "So, I guess I'll be seeing you later on tonight..... is that right?"
    Clint: "You got it. I'm pulling over right now, and I'll see your beautiful eyes in the evening."
    [Radio interference]
    Han: "So.... what was that about?"
    Clint: "Just wait."
    Vader: "Candy Cane, come on."

GregMcP likes this.
  9. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Lol, that has got to be one of the weirdest-designed spaceships ever... The base design is actually okay, like an elongated version of the Super Star Destroyer from ROTJ but I can't really fathom the odd position of the three satellite dishes... :p

In fact, are they even supposed to be communication devices? Or like what some of you mentioned above, possible tractor beams to pull smaller rogue craft into position, hence the name "Arrestor"? [face_dunno]

10. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I wonder how big the Arrestor is.

11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    The hangar bay openings must be tall enough for a TIE fighter at least but it's a shame we have not gotten a good look at the bridge tower.

EDIT: On another point it looks like Han is in some kind of Imperial installation in the latter half of the movie, I wonder whether this Arrestor ship actually manages to snag the Falcon and bring it on board."Full reverse, Chewie lock in the auxiliary power..."

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe it's an older model of one of these:
    [​IMG]

13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    For the hard of seeing;

[​IMG]

Cantina Regular likes this.
  14. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe the GFFA has a plutonium rock band that is as loud as, or louder than, the Milky Way's Disaster Area.
    Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles away from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves play their instruments by remote control from within the Arrestor, a heavily insulated spaceship which stays in orbit around the planet - or more frequently around a completely different planet.
    The Arrestor has three dishes...... one for the guitarist, one for the bassist, and one for the drummer.

Jabberwock2137 likes this.
  15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ [face_laugh] Disaster Area...that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Siphonophore likes this.
  16. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I was thinking of Death Star I, but upon closer examination of DS II there is a circular object (upper right) close to the equator trench:

[​IMG]

Diameter of the circular object must be at least 200 meters, based on the Transamerica Pyramid featured as a size reference on the left side.

P.S. There is an even bigger spherical shape to the upper left I haven't noticed before. [face_blush]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Feel free to disregard my size findings in the last post. Did a thorough examination today, realized that the only reliable size reference is Vader's bay (which contrary to popular belief has to be the active one on the far right) and that the entire equator height of DS II is approx. 600 meters (half as tall as the one of DS I), so the circular surface features are much smaller than I originally anticipated.

18. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    whostheBossk and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    According to the Falcon lego set description

The module on the front of the Falcon is an escape vehicle

20. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Good way to give a "backstory" to how the Millennium Falcon ended up with her iconic twin prongs... But this will effectively KO the earlier stuff about that space being a missile launch area? [face_dunno]

And I am so looking forward to see the Falcon lose her escape vehicle thingy as well as the shiny new paneling, in the Solo movie... Resulting in the ship becoming the literal Hunk of Junk that we know for over 40 years! =D=
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    They seem to be following Legends pretty closely in regards to the Falcon. The prongs are the normal look of the YT1300. We know this from AotC and RotS. Think of it like a USB port, you can plug countless different devices into it. A cargo pod, A huge train of cargo containers, a small shuttle, or a load of missile launchers.
    This isn't a new idea, the original Millennium Falcon toy had an unreleased add-on mini rig toy that was very similar to this.
    http://theswca.com/images-conce/falcon-minirig.html
    [​IMG]

I'm just wondering how they are going to see out of the new version. Maybe video screens only like the Mouldy Crow?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  22. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    That could be a modification that Han makes.

I was thinking this might be a window or view port.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  23. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I read somewhere that there are toys of a Mimban Tank and Speeder. Maybe we'll get to see a down'n'dirty battle in the swamps? Imperials against these guys (and Chewie)?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  24. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    whostheBossk and dekaneas like this.
  25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Nothing really new but now we at least have confirmation that Nest flies the 'hero swoop';

[​IMG]

The toy box front shows Nest, one of the other Swoops (the one seen parked on the beach) the cargo train and the Beckett Mob's Hauler flying above.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    whostheBossk and Corellian Blue like this.