main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit This facility is crude, but it should be adequate- Official Technology Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 22, 2018.

1. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Interesting to note the possible application of special relativity to this idea. If the Raddus was travelling near the speed of light it also would have had the exponential mass increase to go with the acceleration.

force = mass x acceleration=

Holdo basically turned the ship into a kinetic impactor

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I was just thinking...you should be able to take the memory core out from a droid and stick it into a different chassis, right? So when Chopper or R2 are described as being "old" or "beat-up", why not just give them an upgrade? Also, was R4-P17 really dead when the buzz droids chewed off her head? Unless the memory core for an astromech is located in the dome, she should have been repairable.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    No reason a droid could really die as long as you back them up. ANH Infinities directly addresses this. Also I'd like to think Republic scavengers picked up P-17's dome. We need to see more mass-scale scavenging in SW. It would probably require a lot of tractor beams.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd assume that hardware upgrades go hand-in-hand with software upgrades. There are probably limits to what old droid software can do with new droid hardware. So the new droid body ought to be very similar to the old one. That's what happened with Bollux in Daley's Han Solo adventures; his obsolete body was wrecked and he got a new body that was just a new version of his old body.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  5. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Probably not, but certainly after that half of the ship burned up in the atmosphere.

6. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah I suppose there might be compatibility issues, but I doubt they'd be insurmountable. Especially considering that a lot of droids are practically sentient and their owners put a lot of sentimental value in them, I would imagine that they'd go to the lengths to keep them functioning even if it meant making expensive custom upgrades.

7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Would these two technologies be potential game-changers in the SW galaxy and possibly alter the story in a BAD way?

1. An electronic skin that would allow one to manipulate objects from a distance and be able to land a starfighter in case of emergency

2. Nanobots that use neural pattern recognition to correct mental illness

Would these technologies alter the story and make it too techy and less fun. Give regular people Jedi like powers and ruin the possibility of mentally ill. criminals that fuel stories

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    In Legends at least, the Intellex IV brain seems to be a component in the dome, at least based on its appearance.

You pretty much sum up the reasons they'd both be bad ideas.

9. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Who else thinks the First Order has another superweapon up its sleeve for Episode 9. I'm predicting it will have something to do with black holes. Thoughts?

10. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Sure, why not. And fittingly, it'll be directed by J.J. Abrams.

11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Alpha Red Matter.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Dr. Steve Brule and Alpha-Red like this.
  12. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Nostril Of Snoke

13. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
  14. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Happy Friday!!! What new technologies would you like to see in future star wars literature?

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    SKII...an even bigger planet with an even bigger super laser.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They will use a whole star system for the next one.

17. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I sincerely hope not.

No more superweapons for a while please.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  18. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The planets must align and the power of the sun is focused thru Kyber crystals in the planets.

Dr. Steve Brule and Gamiel like this.
  19. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I want to see the glorious return of Magwit's Mystifying Hoop.

SheaHublin and Senpezeco like this.
  20. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Perhaps of interest, from the Truce at Bakura Sourcebook:
    [​IMG]

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  21. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes this is cool. I remember Bakura humans can live into their 100's, but I don't know if that's the case in new canon.

SheaHublin likes this.
  22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I can't find it but I seem to remember a Twitter screenshot on Wookieepedia (possibly from Pablo Hidalgo?) basically saying that in Legends they could get away with humans living for centuries, but that now since we have to worry about actors aging for the new movies they're basically assuming human lifespans are about what they are now.

23. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

No. That was Leland Chee and fun fact. That was ME asking him lol. The tweet is a citation on the canon Human page under Lifespan. However, I remember one of the ROTS human patrons at the Galaxies Opera, the sugardaddy with a Twil'lek was said to be 300. I wonder if that is still canon..... Perhaps humans can live a long time but look perpetually old.

SheaHublin and JediBatman like this.
  24. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Duke Teta- also a presumable descendant of the Ketos and Empress Teta herself. I do hope they retained that into the DisnEU...

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He exists, but the canon page doesn't list his age. However, I'm told that the Visual Dictionaries are being updated for the newcanon:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Complete_Visual_Dictionary,_Updated_Edition

we'll have to wait and see if they recanonize his 300 year age.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.