main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #44-49: Mutiny at Mon Cala (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 1, 2018.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The art is still pretty bad, we've just had our standards forcibly lowered. But I really am liking the storyline.

Vthuil and Daneira like this.
  2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I miss Brian Chang and Doug Wheatley. :(

KikReask and spicer like this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    By looking at the preview, the art doesn't look better I'm afraid. The faces of the Big Three are in contrast with the face of the clawdite on the falcon - it's like they've been copy-pasted from a different comic.
    I know exactly how you feel :( The ignoring of the classic Dark Horse Era artists (and writers for that matter) by MARVEL is a shame. Whenever a new series and/or mini is announced I long to read "with art by Doug Wheatley". That day has yet to come...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    KikReask likes this.
  4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Clawdites are Odo aliens now?

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't see how the Clawdite depicted in this comic is any different than Zam Wesell in terms of the shapeshifting ability. The changelings in Star Trek are puddles of goo that can turn into trees and mice and all sorts of things. Clawdites are people that can basically only turn into other people.

6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    There are a few inconsistencies with the Clawdites abilities. We never see Zam change except between her human form and natural appearance for the briefest second, but based on Cato Parasitti from the Clone Wars, usually they need to be able to touch the person they are changing into, (Or at least that was the implication). Not to mention, Cato had a holo-projector built into her suit to simulate the clothes of the person she pretended to be. (That's what the behind the scenes real said, but even if that is retconed, it still raises the question of how her clothes change when its her skin that morphs. Maybe this Tunga guy has one under his clothes?)

Just a few minor details. Still Happy to see another changling.:D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  7. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Just read #46. Although this issue had a few good moments and some nice dialog, there was little else to get excited about. The artwork was below average like usual, and the plot was much less interesting than the past two issues. Hopefully things pick up again in the next issue, before this issue I had been quite enjoying this story arc.

8. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    holy **** the art was so bad it was comical
    I am screaming
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I want to love this. I truly, truly do. But God help me... the art. I try so very hard to overlook it and focus on the story. The story is actually GOOD! It's just so distracting to see that subpar art, tracings, and stuff of that sort. [face_sigh]

If I could read this story in book form, I'd probably love it. In comic form... not so much. I honestly don't understand how Marvel tolerates that low quality art.

--Adm. Nick

10. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Can they bring back Immonen?

11. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    You know, we all knew KOTOR Vector had horrific art in it but at least that wasn't the standard for the rest of the comic's run. Why are we still get art like this? It's almost comedic. Will we be getting the same art style for a new Tag & Bink comic one day? Because that might work, for 5 minutes.

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think the better panel was his Imhotep impression

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    When someone starts talking about Star Wars
    [​IMG]

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've so had it with these horrifying "photorealistic" faces, but I'm honestly not sure what to do. I'm already not buying the issues as they come out, and I doubt very much not buying the TPB when it eventually comes out will make Marvel think twice about anything. I don't like the idea of just sitting here and complaining, but I really wish there was some way to actually constructively affect the situation.

15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This series is still the best selling ongoing series going on right now outside of Bat man. So obviously enough people aren't being turned off by the art to affect sales that much. Best thing to do to try to make a difference is simply not to buy it. However it doesn't seem enough people are doing that for there to be much of a statement made regarding being disappointed in the quality of the series.

But in anycase guys there is a separate thread to discuss the art (because complaints about the art were taking over this section). In regards to the story still really enjoying the direction the series is going now that Gillen has taken over. Not much happened in this particular issue but you can definitely see a direction and plan that is laid out by Gillen to move the story forward. Once they rescue the king and convince the Mon Cala to help them out in the fight I am definitely looking forward to seeing them get into the actual war.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Two things in this issue that I laughed at and enjoyed:

• The officer's face while drying her hands on Chewie was really funny.

• "Tagge's theorems". (Of course I have to talk about this.) He doesn't only have graphs -- he has theorems! Plural! I think the moff's piece of dialogue here tied in well with that remark of Vader's in DV #2, and with the dry technobabble run-ons from Tagge himself in DV #25. Another nice little touch from Gillen. :)

Comments on the art for jammin to police for posting outside of his dedicated thread:

I'm baffled by this heavy reliance on tracing film stills and incongruous facial colorings, because Larroca *can* draw. The exterior and interior of the Falcon look fine, the Moncaladrome looks fine, the droids look fine, the submersible ship looks fine, the sea monster looks fine, the landscapes usually look fine... and his humans and near-humans look just fine in his other, non-SW works.

(Why does he even color some of the faces? Here's a tweet from him showing what the pages look like when he sends them. Why isn't that left to the colorist so everything looks consistent?)

Again, the man *can* draw. The freaky faces are just so bizarre and unlike what other works of his I've seen that I can't help but wonder out loud why they are the way they are. Is Marvel putting too much time pressure on him?

17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It's hard to go to the separate thread when the art is so very off-putting that those of us who really like the plotting and scripting have a hard time with this series because of it.

It was one thing when the scripts weren't so hot, but Gillen's doing really well here. But for this time period IU, it's really not good that I would prefer Carmine Infantino drawing Luke as a super-buff Asian hippie to something that looks like it's assembled out of old Topps trading cards subjected to an exacto knife and some scotch tape. At least there were some dynamics to that stuff!

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    Star Wars #44-49: Mutiny at Mon Cala (3/6 Released)

Well, look on the bright side, next issue should be good unless they trace all the monsters from TPM.

19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Besides the art style, Larocca's framing tends to be very bland, too. Most of his characters are all drawn face-on, which tends to look weird anyway. It was the same with the Vader series. And he can't for the life of him work out how to have a character just hold their hand up without the pose looking bizarre. His backgrounds are great -- the Moncaladrome and Strokill Prime look good. And, to be fair, the expressions during the Wookiee hand-drying bit work. But the rest is just... bland, and really generically staged.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The random woman Imperial that enters the restroom - who is she a scan of? She reminded me of Roth Cornet (previously IGN, currently Screen Junkies).

Also, the male Imperial is a scan of whom?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    New interview with Gillen up at StarWars.com! https://t.co/68kTmTkL6U

I have very much been enjoying this run from the beginning (with the exception of the art) for all the reasons that I liked his Vader run. It's really nice to feel that we've moved from 'stories that happen to be set in this period' to 'an overarching story set in this period'. Little points of consistency and character development - like how after being blown away by learning about the sacrifice of Jyn and the Rogue One team in the last arc, we see that Luke has learnt the names of every Red Squadron pilot who died this arc. My personal highlight of the Jedha arc was seeing Luke close the door on the Jedi stuff which had been occupying him for Aaron's run (And in stuff like Heir to the Jedi and Weapon of a Jedi) and focus more on his Rebel side, which makes it all feel more dramatically satisfying for me.

It also feels like we are filling in a lot of the big storytelling gaps - notably 'how did the Rebels get that bigass fleet by Endor after what they had before was destroyed at Scarif'. The interview makes me excited for what we'll see in #50 (Rogue Squadron? I'm guessing probably a return from Vader....?)

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There's not much I can say about the art that others aren't already saying. It's a shame, and I truly hope that Marvel takes corrective action by the time issue #50 and the "Hope Burns" arc rolls around because it sounds like Gillen has a knockout story waiting in the wings. I'd hate to see the problems with the art overshadow that story as it did with "Ashes of Jedha" and currently is with the Mon Cala arc.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I really, really, REALLY hope the "major" even that Gillen is hinting at is tied directly to the Mid Rim campaign. The timing lines up great, it's that campaign that nearly cripples the Alliance and forces them to hide again in the far reachs of the Rim. We know it won't be a major fleet loss (he's been very specific that the Mon Cala arc was designed to show how the Rebels had a big fleet at Endor), but a major campaign loss would be perfect.

Just think- the Rebels are emboldened and now have a fleet. They coordinate with various Rebel cells in the Mid Rim, asking them to rise up openly. The Alliance at first manages to take some sectors and hold territory, but then the events of Battlefront: Twlight Company unfold. The fleet retreats to safety, the world's in uprising are isolated, and the massive defeats of the campaign all roll in one after another.

God... I hope Marvel is paying attention to canon in this period. This is a GREAT opportunity for a tie in.

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1, Daneira, Vthuil and 4 others like this.
  24. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    God, the art.

This series would sell a lot more if not for the art.

Great story though.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Check out the ongoing Mon Cala arc in the Vader comic, Matt. It covers how Mon Cala was subjugated. The art is stunning, it makes me wish that the same artist was working with Gillen.

But yeah, with comic being a visual medium first & foremost, a great story can easily be overlooked with crappy art. It's just so... jarring seeing all the obvious tracing, mixed coloration, and shoddy panels.

--Adm. Nick