main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles - DK Book by Landry Q. Walker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Feb 21, 2018.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I don't doubt that other ships escaped. My head canon remains that Raddus and the Profundity intentionally didn't jump to cover the fleet's smaller ships and draw fire from the Devastator.

--Adm. Nick

2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Hoping the ARC-170 fighter is described at moving at hypersonic speeds in canon

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Any updates for this and spoilers?

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    @AdmiralNick22

Not to give too much away....but for ships that did NOT have a manufacturer and class name....did they just start assigning Incom, Koensayr and CEC to them or did they bring in other manufacturers that have not been named yet in new canon?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Honestly, I don't recall. I believe everything got a manufacturer and class name though.

--Adm. Nick

6. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    1 day away.

7. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    @AdmiralNick22
    Alright now that it's out can you spoil the table of contents so we can see what we're getting?

Sarge and TheRedBlade like this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I don't really feel comfortable posting the whole ToC, plus it would take a bit of time to type out. I'm happy to answer questions about whether a certain ship or vehicle is in the book, provided that I don't get a list of 50 requests. :p

--Adm. Nick

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  9. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Just to get the ball rolling, off the top of my head I remember that the Separatist supply ship, Umbaran support ship, and Umbaran starfighter are yet to get class names. Also do we get the names of any specific ships that haven't been identified yet? By that, I mean an individual ship itself rather than its class (e.g. Home One, Chimera, etc. but new.)

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Separatist Supply Ship is in it. Ditto the Umbaran fighter.

In the Home One entry, we learn that the class is an MC80A and that the Independence and Defiance were part of the class and fought at Endor. So those two cruisers were re-canonized!

--Adm. Nick

Grand Admiral Paxis likes this.
  11. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    The Hammerhead Corvette is in it and has a lot of info

are we past spoiler stage??

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, the book just came out... but I don't see any harm in us not using spoiler tags. This is a reference book, not a story.

--Adm. Nick

13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    @AdmiralNick22
    Thanks,

The Hammerhead is the Sphyrna-class...a CEC design. and it is listed at 315m which I find a little off...I always thought it looked about equal to the CR90.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. P4KISTAN

P4KISTAN Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2013
    What about Rendili?

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The length is an obvious typo. I emailed DK about it and recommended they edit it in any subsequent printings. There are a handful of typos in the book, but overall I really, really loved it.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade likes this.
  16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I would have preferred another manufacturer as well....put in some text saying it is a direct competitor to the CR70/90 series.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    So, what's the *exact* nomenclature for the Hammerhead? Is it "Sphyrna-class corvette"?

Chris0013 likes this.
  18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    It is. Still does not say what the 'add on modules' are for though.

There is also a line that hints some U-Wings may have made it off Scarif on the U-Wing page...."Sadly, few of them escape the planet's atmosphere after the Death Star attacks."

It is the little things like that that open possibilities.

19. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    You guys aren't really hyping me for this book.

Pretty boring, eh?

20. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Depends, this book pretty much recanonise stuff and create stuff that clearly tosses out FFG stuff that Wookieepedia is using as sources :p

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I've made notes on what I got on my first, second and third readings. I could post them.

Sarge likes this.
  22. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Can you give an example?

23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    The Hammerhead corvette.

24. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I present thee all with my findings.

A lot of stuff from the Clone Wars Vehicles guide has largely been recanonised, same with stuff from the Incredible Cross-Sections books. What is below is largely what I don't think was in either of them. I could be wrong.

• The Jedi Shuttlebus is now a GoCorp Util-313 speeder bus and are 18 meters in length.
    • Fireships are now Rothana Heavy Engineering F-142 speeders and are 36 meters in length.
    • Coruscant Police Speeders are now SoroSuub Corporation Panther police interceptors and are 5.1 meters in length. They are piloted by SoroSuub Corporation 501-Z police droids.
    • Trandoshan Speeders (now known as the Pteropter) are Gallofree Aerial Products MSP80 speeders and are 4.1 meters in length. Garnac's customised one is painted like a ferocious beast.
    • TIE Reapers are 33.9 meters in length.
    • Mandalorian Police Speeders are now MandalMothers Buirk'alor-class speeders and are 10.1 meters in length.
    • Finn trained to fly speeders in the First Order.
    • Umbaran Hover Tanks are built by Ghost Armaments and are 13 meters in length.
    • The SPHA-Ts are 140.2 meters in length.
    • Gondola Speeders are now the Varykino Workshop Berenko-class luxury water craft and are 7.9 meters in length.
    • The Naboo Water Speeder is a Theed Palace Engineering Corps D-11 water speeder and is 7 meters in length. I have no idea where this appears and will have to find out now.
    • The Kamino Sub used by Obi-Wan Kenobi during the Battle of Kamino is a Kamino Engineering KE-UW33 submarine aquatic transport and is 7.3 meters in length.
    • The OMS Devilfish Sub is built by Kuat Drive Yards and is 2.43 meters in length.
    • The Quarren subs are QiuQin Inc. Underwater Turbo Sled (UTS) Pike and are 1.8 meters in length.
    • The Tactical Infiltration Pod used by EXD-9 is an Arakyd Industries X3-13 pod ship and is 11.7 meters in length. They are fitted with Class 0.5 hyperdrives.
    • We have a new interesting angle of the Geonosian starfighter in picture.
    • Umbaran starfighters are Ghost Armaments Zenuas 33 starfighters and are 10.4 meters in length.
    • MandalMotors Kom'rk-class starfighter/transports are 68 meters in length.
    • TIE Advanced v1s are fitted with Class 4.5 hyperdrives and are 3.6 meters in length.
    • TIE Defenders are 9.2 meters in length.
    • More U-wings then the two we saw on-screen are noted as being present at the Battle of Scarif though few were able to escape the atmosphere when the Death Star attacks.
    • The Maxillipede shuttle is built by Haor Chall Engineering and are 14.4 meters in length. They have a Class 1 hyperdrive and are armed with 3 laser cannons.
    • Taylander shuttles are built by Gallofree Yards, Inc. and are 43.5 meters in length. They have a Class 2 hyperdrive.
    • Turtle Tankers are Corellia Mining Corporation Goji-DF transport/walker. They are 38 meters in length.
    • The Moogan gunships were manufactured by the Techno Union and are 21.1 meters in height.
    • Baron Papanoida parks the Falfa next to the landing platform reserved for the Naboo (interesting if the platform next to it is for Chandrila since there is a Taylander parked there in the picture and Mon Mothma's ship in Rebels was a Taylander).
    • Lancer-class pursuit craft are built by MandalMotors and have a Class 1 hyperdrive rating. They are 18 meters in length.
    • A Dornean gunship is noted for narrowly avoiding a collision with the Devastator at Scarif and escapes.
    • The Republic Tugboats are MandalMotors TUG-314 spacetugs.
    • The IGV-55 surveillance vessel is a modified Gozanti-class cruiser, and is considered an espionage ship. It is run by a cybernetic controller and staffed by the best Imperial Intelligence officers. So the whole Chopper incident was by Imperial Intelligence and not ISB, interesting.
    • Imperial Cargo Ships are Kuat Drive Yards Class 4 CT freighters and are 233 meters in length. They have a Class 1 hyperdrive rating.
    • The Perpetuus is back!
    • There is mention of a CCS-8 design that was to be an upgraded model of the CCS-1 but production was put on hold indefinitely after the Clone Wars started.
    • The Crucible is a Rendili Vehicle Coproration Paladin-class corvette and is 99 meters in length. It's unarmed and has a Class 2 hyperdrive.
    • The Separatist Supply Ship is a Hoerch-Kessel Drive Inc. DH-Omni Support Vessel. They are 1,257 meters in width and have a Class 6 hyperdrive rating.
    • The First Order Transporter model is the AAL-1971/9.1 and four were deployed to Jakku.
    • Error on the Resistance Transport page: it is dubbed a SS-54 assault ship model.
    • Error on the Pelta-class frigate page: it is dubbed a YT-2400 model.
    • The Haor Chall Engineering Corona-class armed frigates were originally intended as droid ships for the Separatists but were deemed unsuitable and their production was halt. Most of the line is sold to investors and ship collectors and one was stolen by Hondo.
    • The Imperial Interdictor is 1,129 meters in length and considered a prototype. It carries 24 TIE fighters and 2,800+ crew. It has Class 2 hyperdrive rating. It appears that the one from "Stealth Strike" was the only one, making the others likely older smaller models.
    • Quasar Fire-class light carriers are back as a SoroSuub design and 340 meters in length.
    • Tantive IV is 150 meters in length.
    • The Hammerhead corvette is now a Corellian Engineering Corporation Sphyrna-class "Hammerhead" corvette. The length is given as 315 meters (which is obviously an error) despite being between 150 and 90 meters in length. That means FFG was wrong again as with the MG-100 StarFortresses, ha!
    • The Vuutun Palaa is back as the Droid Control Ship!
    • The Eclipse is considered the Executor's twin.
    • Home One is once again known as the Headquarters Frigate, is 1,300 meters in length and fights alongside the Defiance and Independence at Endor.
    • Poe and BB-8 were the only survivors of the hangar explosion aboard the Raddus.
    • Imperial Construction Platforms seen over Geonosis and later Lothal are Huppla Pasa Tisc Shipwrights Collective ICM-092792 space stations. They are 828 meters in diameter and fitted with point-defence systems. They require a staff of 3 control technicians and 24 mechanics and can serve 100+ starfighters at a time.
    • Death Star and Death Star II diameters have gone up to 160 km and 200 km again.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    This is consistent with both Star Wars: Rogue One: Death Star Deluxe Book and 3D Wood Model and the edited canon versions of the OT junior novels.