main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Partisans (Saw's Gang) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Cantina Regular, Sep 14, 2016.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly Maz's bar ended up feeling rather more like something from Dr Who to me with a degree of cartoonish camp to a lot of the designs.

my kind of scum, Blue 5 and Avnar like this.
  2. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Right on! I absolutely adore the designs for Edrio and Benthic Two-Tubes! :D I didn't know that Benthic is the one that does the talking, I thought that it was Edrio.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah I thought it was Edrio too... Seems they are mixed up a fair bit depending on where you look. I am taking that from the visual dictionary.

4. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

The Rogue One Visual Dictionary which I proudly own is a great and luscious book for an equally great and luscious film! :D

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Of all the VD's it is the one that has the most "meat" in it... I know this is a bit over the top but I am still blown away by RO! I never thought we would get a SW film I loved as much as the OT... Dare I say it ? I may even have it above 1 or 2 of them =D= Now I wish Cassian and Jyn had survived at the end just so we could get another film with these great characters...even though I loved the fact they all died!

6. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I don't know where the idea came from (maybe it was a mix of Saw from Clone Wars and Kallus's story about the ambush) but I always envisioned Saw's Partisans as a ragtag group of exotic and intimidating aliens. Bugs, reptiles, strange and tough looking thugs and killers who were talented at killing stormtroopers. I must say I was not at all disappointed with the end result. There were more humans present than I anticipated but that's true of every corner of the GFFA.

The Two Tubes twins instantly became my favorites

my kind of scum likes this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Fantastic designs! I actually think Saws hideout gives Jabbas palace a serious run for it's money, as far as how many character cool designs we see...

8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    One thing that's not mentioned with SW enough for me is the influence of Frank Hebert's Dune, beyond the general setting of galactic empire the middle eastern atmosphere and more specifically the moisture film and Tusken raiders. Rogue One does I think clearly look to revisit this with Jedha obviously having a strong middle eastern influence as a place of Pilgrimage and indeed more specifically Benthic's "two tubes" design being rather reminiscent of Fremen still suits.

whostheBossk and my kind of scum like this.
  9. Cantina Regular

May 24, 2016

I finally got around to watching the film again and you were spot on! That was him in Saw's hideout and he was in fact holding his triangle face helmet while feeling the Death Star's attack! I really really hope that the people who write the lore are aware of this repurposing and include it in his story, otherwise I'll be very disappointed. Tam Posla is featured on a cover of an upcoming issue of Dr. Aphra and I hope he looks like the actor who portrayed him in Saw's hideout and makes mention of his Partisan affiliation.

....crazy idea.....do we update his Wookieepedia page with stills from Saw's hideout?

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would update it! I am a continuity nazi :cool: Bet you no-one is aware of the re-purpose, so the character in Dr. Aphra will look completely different and still have his original story etc... Then when it is pointed out they will create a new name for the guy at Saws, and say "He was also a interstellar lawman - but he chose to join Saws rebels" Good lord...

Cantina Regular likes this.
  11. Cantina Regular

May 24, 2016
    That made me laugh [face_laugh]

It's so true though I wouldn't be surprised at all. Fingers crossed someone over there noticed this too. They wouldn't even have to rewrite him, his bio says he was taken off the case and he went rogue, what better way to go rogue then meet up with the Partisans and exchange info

Avnar likes this.
  12. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011

A bit late here, but dude literally looks like a cross between Boba Fett and the Cyborg Ninja from Metal Gear. I was wondering where you got your avatar from.

Avnar likes this.
  13. Cantina Regular

May 24, 2016
    Happy Thanksgiving fellow Partisans, I have a bounty of new information for you today

- the comic Star Wars #39 came out this past Wednesday and its cover is graced by none other than Benthic Two Tubes
    [​IMG]

Leia, Luke, and Han travel to the remains of Jedha and discover Benthic has survived and is running the Partisans in Saw's place.

- While doing some more digging on Tam Posla I came across this post showing some screenshots of this puzzling character. He certainly seems to be in cahoots with Saw's Militia
    [​IMG]

- While playing through the Battlefront 2 campaign I stumbled upon two intriguing characters hanging out in Maz's castle. They seemed very out of place considering the rest of the crowd were variations of playable character and npc models. Considering how much the new canon is being pushed it appears to me that Weeteef Cyubee and Kullbee Sperado survived Jedha and were patrons of Maz's Castle post Endor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems to me that the New Canon wants to put a small focus on these radical rebels, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled and post any and all new information

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I always find it unintentionally funny that guy behind Bodhi is getting ready to put that bag on his head. "Shut this guy up!" Great acting from Riz Ahmed throughout the film.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I love everything about this scene, it feels properly dangerous and realistic to the kind of thing that would happen if a tyrannical Empire ruled the galaxy. The tone of Jedha and the mood of Rogue One as a whole was perfect.

Bor Mullet and Avnar like this.
  16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The music takes me out of the scene quite a bit and it has no danger element what-so-ever... When you are in the Cantina, Saws Cave, Jabbas Palace etc it feels like "stuff" could go down at any minute.

Blue 5 and Cantina Regular like this.
  17. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Saw's Den was awesome, and the Partisans were freaking great. Really odd and eccentric...technically allies but with that genuine radical tinge.

The scene where Jyn gets led through there was awesome. I honestly wish we could spend a few more minutes there. The book Rebel Rising really adds to this scene, too, since we learn so much more about how Saw ran things and how Jyn interacted in the group.

avcpl, Bor Mullet and Avnar like this.
  18. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    From my point of view, the Rebels are evil!

I like how the Empire is shown to be preserving the law here. And the grey areas of this so called Rebellion.

19. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Hmmm... I've read the latest Aphra comics and, re: Tam Posla: he now cannot canonically be the guy spotted at Saw's hideout. When introduced in the comic, the character has the same backstory detailed in the R1 visual guide, which didn't preclude him also winding up in Saw's cell eventually. However (mild spoilers maybe) -- Posla does not have a human head. Particularly as depicted in #18, he actually appears to be a droid; certainly the "head" behind the helmet is basically machinery. So he can't be the guy with the helmet off at Saw's. In fact it seems to be implied that the weaponry built into Posla is standard issue for the Milvayne Authority, so what the "other" guy in the same armor is, is a bit of a mystery.

Oddly (and this is kind of typical Aphra whimsy that plays just fine on its own pages) Posla doesn't seem to act like, or be regarded as, a droid; he's even in a romantic relationship with Caysin Bog, the overweight headless dude from the street of Jedha. By the same token, Bog despite having no head is portrayed as fully sentient and conversational in a human-like manner (and also apparently hollow enough to serve as a storage container). So, there's that too.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I never even thought about the fact that Jyn was probably recognized by a lot of them when she was being led through. Really adds a lot more depth to that scene.

By the way, is Rebel Rising worth a read? It's been on my radar for a while, but I happened to see it in the Teen Readers section at Barnes and Noble once and just sort of wrote it off. Is it on par with Catalyst and the Rogue One novelization, or is it geared more towards the younger audience?

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Personally, I really disliked the book. It's not really geared towards younger readers, since it's dark as hell. It was too dark for my taste, with little to no lighter scenes to counter that darkness. It turned Jyn's life - which was always supposed to be tragic - into an (almost comically) over the top grim one. If I want to read something that depressing I'll read The Road, not Star Wars.

But - a lot of people disagree with me, so... [face_dunno]

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It's not as excellent as Rucka's Guardians of the Whills (the best and most underrated of new canon, IMO) but I found it very satisfying. Certainly a sad tale, as it's about Jyn's very difficult life before Rogue One, but there's some genuine humanity and warmth puncturing the gloom. Good stuff, and more mature (in a good way) than I was expecting.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder (now that he is in Solo) whether the powers that be know about his re-purposing and joining of Saws militia?? I assume Solo takes place well before RO and hope this gets rectified on his Wiki page so it doesn't contradict what we figured out!

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    These guys, and the Enfys Next gang, may turn out to be some of my favorite minor characters in the whole Star Wars slate of material.

25. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    How much money do you think was used to pay Moroff into joining the Partisans? Credits wise?