main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you think we have already seen the "best" and "worst" SW films??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Avnar, Jan 10, 2018.

1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I think that 1980s fantasy sci-fi feel that TESB and ROTJ had is the true essence of Star Wars. Therefore, it would be difficult to see TESB ever topped.

They could strike lucky with a really good anthology film - Rogue One was excellent, but it would have to be pretty much perfect to compete with the gravitas of an original trilogy saga movie.

Avnar likes this.
  2. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    After TESB, I don't see how the bar can go any higher.

Avnar likes this.
  3. MWPP294

MWPP294 Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2018
    As long as the big mouse owns Star Wars, nothing this studio ever does will even come close to crossing over into the same galaxy as AOTC and TPM for me.

But no, I think the worst things Star Wars has to offer has yet to come. To quote Count Dooku: "This is just the beginning."

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  5. MWPP294

MWPP294 Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2018
    I'm not "bashing" Disney, nor did I bash any of the new movies. Bashing would have been me saying something much more vulgar or condescending that is written in a way to get a rise out of people with opposing viewpoints. I am simply answering this question honestly and what I said shouldn't offend anyone unless they are completely new to the Internet and can't stand when others oppose their viewpoints especially the status quo.

6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    You and I have slightly different definitions of what constitutes bashing. But in any event, I was giving you and everyone else a friendly reminder.

So we don’t don’t derail this thread any further, if you have any further questions PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MWPP294

MWPP294 Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2018
    Oh...well I understand that and sorry if I came off as too defensive with my post, I thought you were directing your message solely at me.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Its all good. Certain threads in this forum tend to lend themselves bashing are we are pretty sensitive toward it. You are right however that there can be a fine line between constructive criticism and bashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    Well, ROTS is the best for me so far and I haven't seen the worst yet.

I watch SW purely for my enjoyment so I don't really care about the new ones surpassing the old movies as long as Lucasfilms deliver something I can enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Really hard to say on both. I don't think anything will top the originals. But I would like to see some films on par with them. I think ROTS,TFA, TLJ, RO, could potentially be a tier below them (my opinion), but not on their level.

11. ChillCaladbolg

ChillCaladbolg Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2017
    The answer to both questions is probably no, if we are just speaking generally.

For Star Wars, considering it in its context and as the mythic saga that it is, I feel the pinnacle is Revenge of the Sith and I do credit much of that to the unique mind of George Lucas. It’s both the center piece and the grand finale to his original saga. So I think it would take a lot to top that.

As for just general contemporary film quality, without really considering the other films or overall context too much, I think The Last Jedi is the best so far. But it can always be topped.

As for the worst, it can always be worse. They’ve never had an all out disaster with the production of one of these movies. Until they do, I don’t think the worst is potentially here yet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  12. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    I have faith in Ep 9

13. Darth 47.1

Darth 47.1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 1999
    I think there is plenty of potential left in the franchise. There can be a dozen more movies with ups and downs and as long as they can keep it interesting it does not have to stop. And it certainly does not have to be contained within the immediate vicinity of the Skywalker saga. The Old Republic era is a great potential series to look into or something in the Unknown Regions or far off into the future looking at how the galaxy has changed since the time we are used to although I am not as interested in what happens 200 years from the current.

The Bond franchise is a fairly good example of a very long running franchise that has had some great movies after some truly terrible ones that could have ended the run.

14. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    I think ESB is locked in place as the best. I rate TLJ as the worst and, I do think that there could be a worse movie than TLJ. Like we have yet to have a straight up terrible movie. One where the effects are bad (for it's time) and the story is even worse. But hey, the guy who wrote Justice League is working on the script for next one, so there's always a bigger (bad movie making) fish.

lookameatbag likes this.
  15. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I too am dreading Oscar winning writer Chris Terrio being involved in Episode IX.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting question...

I believe we haven't yet seen the worst of SW. After all, things have a tendency to dilute naturally, rather than enrich. Looking at several different franchises can be great examples of this. I'm sure anyone here can think of some of the same ones I'm thinking of. And I do believe we have already seen the best of SW. IMO anything that comes after is basically becoming a "copy of a copy" of sorts, that's the way I see it.

However, I do believe that if they start fresh with all new....everything, there's a CHANCE the same kind of enthusiasm we've seen in the OT and PT days can possibly be revived. But then again, it could wind up like the Fantastic Beasts films-enjoyable films, and nice to get back into that universe, but just not quite as epic and moving as the original source material-and likely never will be.

17. julianaray

julianaray Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2018
    I haven't seen the worst as well.
    Hopefully it will not be in future.