main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT So, I Recently Re-Watched Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AussieViking, Apr 3, 2018.

1. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
    Without any fore site i.e without watching TPM to introduce the characters and having knowledge of the state of things. I am surprised how much better it was in terms of bringing everything together. Now I love the prequels (which I am sure will get me a lot of simple minded hate) and think a lot of things make sense when you watch them all together more so than singular.

(It’s just the way Lucas tells stories) But I am surprised not having the backstory of TPM to bring things together like the love story. Anakin being a rebel and being to old. Etc. I really had to pay attention to character interactions and shot capacity. Framing. Editing. Piecing things together. Getting into the mind of characters. And it kinda came off a lot better than I thought it would.

Anakin being a young teen in love and emotionally unstable. Especially later on. But also throughout the film he’s with someone very important from his past.

Padme being very much a figure of politics and not letting her emotions get the best of her yet still being impressed by what anakin has become. Yet being very adult about there feelings.

Yet over time she sees what anakin goes through and understands him more so than any Jedi could. (Though I still think certain deleted scenes like the neberrie house hold was back into it. Reading between the lines and piecing things together I think the love story works well)

I like the whole who’s trying to kill padme and why and the Jedi being caught in a web.

Jango is great and goes out fighting

I like how there’s a different feel to the universe but it makes sense in context to the areas they are in. Slums being seedy yet alive with a variety of species. Seeing more so how these other species live in the background. How it’s alien yet familiar. Underground’s of a large City complex.

A gladiatorial arena. A Vietnam/ world war start to the clone wars.

A bigger picture being made. Dooku and sidious playing everyone.

The Jedi failing and wanting to cover it up. I have to say I really liked the film. Without much context to the start of the film story with TPM. Even though I like AOTC more so with that context. But I payed more attention without it.

I could type more but typing on a smart phone is being patient and trying not to rage when it mis spells a word.

Sure CG blending with the practical effects should of been better but other than that I loved the film felt like an evolutional story in the Star Wars universe.

That and geonosis battle and dooku saber fight with the emotional value will never get old for me.( Emotional Value being that dooku betrayed the Jedi order. Killed many a Jedi. Had a hit on the women anakin loved and basically help start the clone wars)

I am sure I’ll get a lot of hate for this. But treat this like a new perspective on things. Because thats what Star wars is built on, Context, Perspective and what you perceive it to be.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Hate? I don't see why. There's nothing offensive about what you write. You express appreciation for a film taken out of the context of being the middle act of a trilogy. It's an interesting perspective and just the kind of experimentation that we like around here [:D]

3. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    AOTC is an amazing movie, to me by far the best in the SW franchise. It has an amazing, very personal, family story, it has great visuals, John Williams excels. Lucas had no fear when he made it; he made it as he wanted, a love story in a forties style (and more). Why would anyone hate you for liking this movie?

4. Jabba'sNumber1Fan

Jabba'sNumber1Fan Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2018
    AOTC is a wonderful movie, mostly because it features some beautiful scenes on Tatooine, the vacation home for Jabba the Hutt! While it was disappointing that we didn’t get to see the hero himself, at least it showcased the wonderful society that he oversees.

Sith Lord 2015 and Lulu Mars like this.
  5. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    AOTC is wonderful movie indeed and I never understood the hate. I actually rewatched two times recently and I really enjoyed it.

6. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Attack of the Clones is a very misunderstood film. It's easily the most ambitious of the prequels, and I think people get too distracted by the way it was shot or the effects to really appreciate all of its splendor.

7. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I rewatched it recently again too. Loved it even more than I ever used to. The art direction and overall design cohesiveness is really top notch. The Geonosian architecture reminds you of Gaudi. The look of the clone troopers and all their vehicles and gear was far better than a lot of the rest of the Saga (not that it's a competition).

The only part that fell flat for me was trying to objectively look at and get pulled into the love scenes. Maybe I'm missing the old meldrama connection they may have been inspired by, but they fell flat for me. On an objective viewing I guess they work well enough. Also the factory sequence, but I don't remember ever liking that, hah.

My favorite scene in the whole movie is Dooku and Obi-Wan's back-and-forth on Geonosis before the arena. Christopher Lee's measured delivery of "What if I told you the Republic was under control of a Dark Lord of the Sith?" is perfect.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    AOTC, although not my favorite, is IMO much better than people give it credit for. Any shortcomings notwithstanding, IMO there are FAR more things that are great about it than negatives. It has a very SW (and GL) feel, and I love the air of romanticism and mystery surrounding the film. Obi-Wan's investigation is one of my favorite subplots of the whole saga. And there's just such beautiful imagery. GL meant to emphasize the fading of a peaceful, romantic era, as we enter into the beginning of the Clone Wars. IMO this film did that perfectly. I also love seeing all the Jedi fighting together. That's something I have always imagined and hoped to see, ever since I was a kid.

9. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
    Should of taken the hate thing out I had this on the star wars reddit so the "Hate" was needed since reddit is just mindless hate

BLemelisk, Huttese 101 and Lulu Mars like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Ah, gotcha :)

EDIT: This thread got me in the mood for some AOTC! I might watch it this weekend.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Its not hate, just complete disbelief that some people can think AOTC is a good film.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    It's sad to think that people can be hated simply for liking a movie, especially on this forum. But the simple fact is that the world is full of narrow-minded people who will hate out of even a very small "motivation". Anyway, I completely agree with everything you wrote.

Dagobahsystem, MWPP294 and wobbits like this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    What I find baffling is the idea that people can be in disbelief about people thinking AOTC is a good film. Like, you can't even remotely see what some people might like about it? Not even in theory? This isn't exactly The Room we're talking about here. It's an imaginative space adventure movie with cool visuals, great action, and some pretty real pathos and drama.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    But then again, how can you even like a movie in which a character dares to talk about sand? Isn't that absurd? And we all know that Hayden is a bad actor, right? It's been proven countless times in countless courts, so it's fact. Also, the love story itself can't possibly work. It's not even imaginable in fantasy that a woman could love a guy who tells her he dreams about her, much less in front of a fireplace. I mean, we all KNOW that. Right? So how can anyone even in theory like AOTC? All SW fans all over the world agree that it's the worst in the saga. I can't believe there are still people who deny that. It's not like "opinion" or "taste" but proven fact. :rolleyes:

15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The chase scene with Zam Wessell is one of the best action scenes of the entire franchise. Also the debut of Anakin and Obi-Wan's together shenanigans on any screen.

Also the last half hour is perfect. I cannot believe people aren't in awe over the Battle of Geonosis.

16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I remember when I saw the film for the first time I was wow'd by Anakin jumping out of the speeder during that chase. For some reason his confidence in himself and his belief in the Force made me really look forward to what else may come by way of showcasing Anakin's force potential.

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This was a great preview of the opening 30 min. of Revenge of the Sith and pretty much any scene they shared together in The Clone Wars.

[​IMG]

18. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Oh that gif reminded that I love the arena action too with Obi Wan and Anakin against the acklay and the reek.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Acklay is scary as hell. Glad Obi-Wan cut it down to size. :p

20. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    A rule of thumb for opinions on the Internet: no matter how strong you think the consensus is, there will always be those who disagree.

You may be more surprised to learn there's a vocal minority that thinks it's Lucas' best. That said, I'm in disbelief that people could think AotC is an objectively bad movie in the grand scheme of things. I don't think it's even close.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Urmmm have you forgotten this?
    [​IMG]

Cringe worthy C-3PO humour throughout the film, including scenes that would be more at home in the old Droids cartoon. There are some good things in AOTC but they are so outnumbered by things that make me feel a bit sick inside.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  22. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I really appreciated the difference in approach between the two Jedi on how best to defeat the creatures. Obi Wan used physical weapons at his disposal to maim and kill the acklay while Anakin used the force to control the reek and then use the creature to his advantage.

Revanfan1 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  23. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    That segment literally represents less than 5 minutes of screen time in a 140 minute movie.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    See the definition of the word perfect.

25. MWPP294

MWPP294 Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2018
    Yeah, and I actually liked that scene along with all the C-3PO and R2-D2 scenes in the film by the way, LOL.