main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Is it ONLY a set menu, or can you order a la carte? It'll be just me, lol...

And I also found Sichuan Paradise which sounds good (in Wan Chai), but looking to expand my HK eating places besides Tim Ho Wan and several Indian places...

Master_Lok and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a fixed menu. Trust them! They know what's best.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ [face_rofl] I love Asia and their insane food memes. Go ahead and give me guilt about eating eggs now. [face_laugh]

Dear people, do not eat thinkThin High Protein bars, as like most of their brethren, they taste like cardboard (I am looking at you Brownie Crunch!)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The Chinese do some great things with eggs - thousand year egg, tea eggs - but also evil things, like virgin boy eggs.

6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_rofl]

Please read the whole thread it's worth it. The
    amuse douche
    made me nearly fall out of my chair.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Silly me, I ate my favorite veggie pizza today. And, no an ingredient in McDonalds french fries will NOT cure baldness.

Bummed because local Chinatown ice cream legend Chinatown Ice Cream Factory are fighting an eviction. I can't believe the family sold the building to the landlord. :( It really annoys/saddens me that Manhattan's Chinatown is capitulating to genetrification.

Chyntuck and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    That's sad news about Chinatown Ice Cream Factory :( Sounds like the landlord is a real piece of ****

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    This recipe of Moroccan bstila just came across my Twitter feed, and now that I've read how easy it is to make I'm cooking it as soon as I can get my hands on all the ingredients.

@Rylo Ken I realised that I never reported back about my pulled pork experience so here it is. I followed your tips more or less faithfully – I used a clay pot instead of the foil tent you described and had to shift between the regular oven and the wood stove for searing/slow cooking, plus I also threw a bit of chopped onion and celery in the pot just because :p The result was splendid. It turned out there was no need to boil down the juice, it was almost syrupy already, but I did skim off the fat because there was a lot of it (the truth is that I was using a pork leg that had a healthy layer of fat all around it). I served it with mashed potatoes, but next time I prepare it my nephews and nieces will be around, so it will be hamburger buns. I'm officially including it in the Chyntuck Gourmet Repertoire.

Rylo Ken and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today is National Burrito day. Too bad I had already had lunch, but maybe dinner.

And as such, I wanted to give a "shout out" to a San Francisco's "La Taqueria" that won FiveThirtyEight's contest for the Nation's Best Burrito.

Chyntuck and Master_Lok like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I've still only eaten one burrito and that was back in 1992 before they were as popular as they are now. I prefer tacos myself.

Chyntuck and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I'm more of a taco person myself as I like the crunchiness to it.

Chyntuck and Master_Lok like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Same here. Crunchy is good. And while I love pinto beans with caramelized onions and guacamole, I could never get on board with the refried beans thing.

I have more Skyr (yay!) I can see why the Icelanders love this so much.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It was Easter here yesterday (the eastern one). Lots of food. *burp*

[​IMG]

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't know what all that is but it looks good.

Juliet316 and Chyntuck like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Top to bottom: roast goat, jacket potatoes (still in the aluminum foil), mageiritsa (offal soup), misc. grilled meat and sausages, roast potatoes with lemon and oregano. Oh, and that's not coke in the glasses, it's marouva wine from Crete, a relative of Madeira wine.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What's goat like? I read in one of the weekend papers that some supermarkets in mainstream (non-ethnic) areas are starting to sell it. The article said it was similar to lamb.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Chyntuck likes this.
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    If it's a baby goat, it tastes similar to lamb and it's quite tender. Basically if you like lamb chances are you'll like it too and many people can't really tell the difference. I'm a big fan of both, but goat is my favourite.

If it's an older goat (usually female, which is more fatty), it has a much, much stronger taste, stronger than mutton, and more often than not you have to boil it forever, or boil it first and then roast it. I like it a lot, but it's definitely not for everyone.

(I had billy goat once too. I'm really not picky about food in general, but it was an experience I'd rather not repeat. And I don't even want to imagine the stench in the house while you boil it.)

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Sounds like I'd probably like baby goat but not older goat.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Loving Skyr. Not only that, I think I found a natural protein bar that is good tasting, not too sweet and fills me up ("The Perfect Bar" almond butter variety). I am bummed I only bought one.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh hell, FunkOs?!? [face_rofl] That's brilliant. And I may actually buy a box or two. Because, mmmm....cereal.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for upping this thread. I couldn't remember what it was called.

Last week I made Brussels sprouts on the grill. Cut them in half, placed them in bacon grease, maple syrup, and brown sugar. They came out pretty darn good.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Sup foodies?

So I took a shot at making a beef brisket pho last weekend, and although it lacked salt, my Vietnamese mate who gave me the recipe later informed me that he forgot to tell me to put in fish sauce. That said, I have a tendency to add less salt anyway.

It’s a long cook, but if like me you get excited by boiling bones, and skimming grey detritus for six to eight hours, it’s a very rewarding process.

Ingredients
    Beef marrow bones (shin)
    Beef brisket joint
    Large onion
    Ginger (thumb size amount)
    Bean sprouts
    Chilli
    Cabbage (I used Pak Choi)
    Spring onions
    Firm Tofu (optional)
    Coriander
    Rice noodles
    Star anaise
    Black cardamom
    Fennel seeds
    Coriander seeds
    Fish sauce
    Salt to taste
    Bouquet garni bag

method

Take large cooking pot, put bones in, cover with cold water.

Bring bones to boil, and boil them for 10 minutes. This process cleans the bones.

While you’re waiting for bones to come to the boil, peel and cut the onion through the middle so you have two halves, peel the ginger and cut it in half longways, and on a hot skillet or grill, blacken them.

Discard that water, rinse pot and bones. Refill pot with cold water, and bones, and start again.

Add brisket, blackened onion and ginger, and a bouquet garni (cotton pouch tied with string) consisting of Black cardamom, star anaise, fennel, and coriander seeds).

Add a glug of fish sauce.

Bring to the boil, then simmer. Skim as much scum off the surface. As you can.

After two hours, remove the brisket. Let it sit, with a piece of foil over it.

Keep simmering pot for a total of six to eight hours.

About one hour before service soak rice noodles in cold water.

About 30 mins before service, dice and add tofu to pot.

Chop spring onion, chilli, coriander, and take stem off the cabbage.

Boil a pot of water for the noodles, stick them in the boiling water for a minute or so.

Add noodles, chopped veg, bean sprouts, and brisket into a bowl, ladle on the broth. Sprinkle some chopped coriander and chillis, and serve.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The fish sauce isn't for the salt (though it obviously has some) -- it's for the umami flavor. Sounds delicious!