main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #44-49: Mutiny at Mon Cala (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This would indeed be very sweet. Let's hope it happens.

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Nick:

I've seen the art in the Vader comic and I agree with you. I was the one who posted on being excited to see "Dac" City and the recanonization of floating Mon Cal cities.

I'm not sure why better artists aren't being given to the main series.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    spicer and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I'm with you, Matt. You'd think that the flagship series would have one of their best artists. I honestly can't figure out why Marvel hasn't made a change, unless it's because they prefer to use their main talent on their more traditional comics.

I'm an optimist, I keep hoping the art will change at or shortly after issue #50 when the series goes into new territory. [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

4. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    After reading the interview, I'd have to agree that the next thing we're going to get is the Empire striking back. Gillen talks about how he gets chosen to write dark stories and what could be darker.

That being said, the pre sequel trilogy stuff is pretty well coordinated. I'd not be surprised if we start seeing the execution and failure of the Mid Rim push by the Rebellion.

My my. We might actually get to see the Executor crush rebel fleets and Imperial turncoat fleets.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  5. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Actually...they could echo the Clone Wars a bit with Vader fighting on various planets as he did as Anakin.

That would be interesting to explore. Many Imperials would see it as a new round of Separatism.

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Exactly! The coordinated uprising in the Mid Rim (which saw local cells rise up and raise armies, hoping for larger support from the proper Alliance) would definitely evoke the fear of separatism in the Empire. It would be so awesome to see this campaign (initial Rebel successes, followed by a counterattack from the Empire that forces the Rebels to retreat) in comic form... with a good artist.

--Adm. Nick

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  7. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I really like this line of thought — I feel that Rebellion/Separatism would be an interesting association to explore in upcoming Star Wars storytelling, especially so in the comics, for which (as you’ve mentioned, Nick) the visual medium plays such an important role. The comics are perfectly suited to representing Imperial unease at perceived resurgent separatism, in that the visual format allows for iconographic allusion (whether overt or subtle) to the PT’s villains.

Maybe I’m being overly optimisic, but the introduction of a Lucrehulk-class Battleship under Alliance control in Gillen’s Doctor Aphra comic (beautifully portrayed by Emilio Laiso) could hint at more Separatist equipment showing up in future Gillen stories...​

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Gillen has said that when he works on these series he reads all the canon material that takes place within that particular time period that the series takes place in. So good chance he would have read Twilight Company and would be able to at least reference some of the things that were talked about in that book. Wouldn't get too in depth with the material Twilight Company covered because those would have been telling the story of the people on the front lines where this comic will be telling the story of the leaders of the Rebellion. But there are definitely some passing lines he could give to tie that novel into what is going on with this series.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Mid Rim campaign is the definitive event of the middle years of the Galactic Civil War. Where the Alliance goes from fully ascendant to the dark place we find them at the start of TESB. They need to go through this period, as it makes the Alliance's attack at Endor so much higher stakes. Sure, the Alliance Navy is safe in the far reaches of the Rim... but a hidden fleet doesn't inspire support for the Rebellion among the galactic populace.

Dan Wallace directly addresses this in The Rebel Files. Mon Mothma knows that the size and strength of the fleet is ultimately irrelevant if the Alliance loses the battle for public support. Endor is where the Alliance risks it all- their leadership, their fleet, ultimately their entire cause- because failure means both an invincible Death Star and the loss of the battle for the hearts and minds of the Galaxy.

If we see the Mid Rim campaign, I'll probably die of delight.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth and The Raddinator like this.
  10. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Since that is exactly what Gillen keeps talking about as the main issue he wants to address in his run, you'd figure someone in the Story Group at least must have pointed him in the direction of the BFII book.... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this in some form. In fact it might come very logically out of this current run as the Alliance, flush with confidence at securing a fleet, seek to turn that into a major offensive. (Although it might not be named directly, I guess)

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That's definitely my hope. My guess is that the combo of Scarif/Yavin/Mon Cala/gaining a fleet makes the Alliance over confident, hence the launching of a major campaign into the Mid Rim. We know that the fleet survives and Alliance leadership, but there can be a lot of losses and stuff that goes down between now and Hoth.

--Adm. Nick

Vialco and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The art is diminishing this book for me too - the tracings are just so jarring. I've read every SW issue Marvel have released and I'm tempted to drop the main series until Larroca is replaced or stops tracing. I quite enjoyed his past work on X-Men and Iron Man, so the weakness of his SW art has been disheartening.

Senpezeco, Jedi Ben and Vthuil like this.
  13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    They are. Giuseppe Camuncoli is busy illustrating the new Darth Vader series. This series has to make do with the less talented Larroca. Wish Marco Checchetto would come back, he's even better than Camuncoli.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    He's occupied with Old Man Hawkeye.

It's strange with Larroca though. Like Sean, I don't recall these issues cropping up on his earlier, but still heavily referenced, run on Iron Man, nor was his Vader run anything like his SW. It had its moments, yes, but nowhere near to the same scale.

15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    There is probably a good chance that he is supposed to draw the Star Wars books this way. For as loud as some are being about the criticism of that style of artwork there are probably those that are fans of that style. We need to remember that what we see online is just an extremely small sample size of all the people that are getting the books.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I've seen some reviews for that series, actually. Marco's talents are wasted there, they should bring him back to Star Wars. His art is a marvel to view.

spicer likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Y'know, it occured to me just now that while I've used it as a rhetorical device before I honestly would pay money for a "pure script" form of this arc. Whereas I am not, and will not be, paying any money for the issues that are actually being released because of the artwork. That is just such a ****ing insane thing to realize about a comic book.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I've been tossing around similar thoughts about the art situation. The scanned faces thing has been Larocca's signature style now for fourteen issues and counting of the mainline series, nine months worth of comics. Marvel clearly doesn't have a problem with what he's putting out, and the series continues to be a best-seller. Larocca proudly displays unfinished artwork on his twitter, scanned faces and all. Kieron Gillen continues to sing his praises in interviews. Art is subjective, and I can only conclude that while most of us here in Lit are not fans of Larocca's current style, someone out there must be. If I've learned anything from Dark Disciple, it's that majority opinions in Lit don't necessarily map to majority opinions in the larger fan community. Not a defense or a justification, just an observation.

DoubleSith, Daneira and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Whenever I've seen an image of Larocca's recent art, it's less the line art and far more the colouring contrast that has jumped out at me. I can't say I care as much about the tracing given the production speed Marvel has set, seems to be a necessary evil and I don't have the time or inclination to seek out image sources.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I'd agree. If the tracing's coloration matched the rest of the panels, it would be less jarring. Basically, we end up with a weird mishmash of super detailed, highly colored tracings and more standard fare all in the same panel. I really, really, REALLY wish that this arc looked better, cause it's basically telling a story that is about as Nick-class as it gets.

--Adm. Nick

21. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Friendly reminder that the art problems have their own thread.

22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Mini-moding a moderator? Now I've seen it all.

23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's not easy to discuss this book without addressing the art situation in some way or another, because it does impact the experience the comic provides the reader. Not to put words in jamminjedi23's mouth (or the mods) but the dedicated thread came about because loud and frequent complaints about the art, which tended to include multiple examples of poor artwork or "tracing," were drowning out efforts to discuss the actual story. With most posts devoted solely to bashing or mocking the artwork (or posting examples of it) filtered to their own thread, discussion of the story arc proper is hopefully a little more robust - but again, it's a comic book. No matter how good the writing is, the story is conveyed through the art, so it can't just go unmentioned. And with the writing being so good right now, the contrast is more pronounced.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  24. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    At one point I was going to do a script with the Ashes of Jedha arc, but sorry, I didn't like enough of what I was reading to really do it. (the point being, you can do this yourself!)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #50 and #51 solicits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #50
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by MIKE MAYHEW
    Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by David Marquez
    Variant Cover by TERRy DODSON
    VIRGIN VARIANT Cover by TERRy DODSON
    Galactic Icon Variant Cover by ROD REIS
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    IN THIS ISSUE…HOPE DIES.
    • The REBEL FLEET is completed. It’s magnificent. It’s beautiful. It’s secret.
    • But no secret is kept for long from DARTH VADER.
    • The most epic story yet done in a STAR WARS comic begins here. Prepare to witness the Empire TRULY strike back.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #51
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by MIKE MAYHEW
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHERR
    HOPE DIES PART 2
    • The MILLENNIUM FALCON – alone – versus an entire IMPERIAL FLEET.
    • Can LEIA discover the cause of this disaster?
    • And even if she can, is it too late?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    tatooinesandworm likes this.