main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Jaxxon was also in one of the "Darth Vader and Son" books, the one that came out a few months pre-TFA. And yes, I know they are very obviously non-canon, but still, it was after the canon reboot and well into the Disney era... I actually think his appearance there was the only time those books used an EU element.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Hey you all. Remember the Star Wars Adventures Ashcan special preview? Well, apparently, every snippet of flashback we saw in it has a context behind it. On Twitter, Landry Q. Walker told me that "pretty much every panel of that was from something [he] wrote out a full pitch for at some point." Interestingly, the one with Ventress takes place on Dromund Kaas.
    [​IMG]

The panel with the Crimson Corsair would've been part of a scene "where the characters were riding on the back of what appeared to be a space chicken that fired rainbows from it's eyes."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The power of the "Crimson Corsair Stare" was known 'round the galaxy.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Awesome! I hope we'll get to read this eventually.
    [​IMG]

5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    "Forty-nine times we fought that beast
    "Your old man and me
    "It had a chicken head with duck feet
    "With a women's face too

And yes, I'm particularly intrigued by this one. I mean what is this? Red-robed individuals keeping Ventress in chains over a bubbling vat of lava?!

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Aw it pains me to think they didn't believe we were ready yet for the Prophets' glorious return and a giant rainbow laser space chicken.

7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    In regards to my second favourite Star Wars rabbit alien, I really hope this is just the first of many appearances for our little green friend.

8. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Hmm, who's the first? Ikrit? Just trying to remember my Star Wars lagomorphs.

Please forgive my continued squeeing but I'm still SO excited that Amaiza is returning. Between this annual, the Easter egg shot of Jaxxon and Skorr in a Forces of Destiny short, and *especially* (even though presented as just a rumor or piece of disinformation) the Omega Frost in The Rebel Files... oh gosh, any degree of reintroduction of my favorite Classic Marvel and newspaper strip content makes me nearly keel over with happiness. And seeing other folks here also enthused makes me even happier! May the trend continue... [face_praying]

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Mauricet, the Belgian artist who drew the Jaxxon story for the annual, is coming to FACTS convention in Gent (Belgium) tomorrow. I'll try and ask him if he can draw our favorite Lepi for me!

Dr. Steve Brule and MrDarth0 like this.
  10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yes. Yes indeed.

I can only assume that revan772 is a Hoojib fan?

Let's not forget Mimban. It's a glorious time for the recanonizing of EU stuff from before it was called the EU. That stuff always made more sense as a reflection of the pulpy feel of the OT films, to me at least... post-OT EU always felt like it was made by the SW kids who felt like they'd "grown up" wanted things to be more "serious" than the films indicated, and ironically ended up feeling even cheesier in many ways.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  11. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Yep, Ikrit. I loved Hoojibs lol. Definitely top three Star Wars species up there with Ithorians and Zeltrons. My dog is actually named Ikrit Jaxxon so a good chunk of my family now knows Ikrit's and Jaxxon's backstories. (Or at least some of it lol.)

edit: spelling, though I probably misspelled more then just Hoojib lol.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Senpezeco likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    So, I went to see Mauricet earlier today, and here is his very first Action Jaxxon convention drawing! I got it even before the story's release, heh heh heh. And a very cool guy too; we had a long discussion.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  14. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Heads-up that the delays are over and Adventures #9 as well as the annual are indeed out next week! They did right by Jaxxon... can't wait to be able to share my review. :)

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #9 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    LelalMekha likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #12 in July.
    [​IMG]
    (W) Elsa Charretier (A/CA) Elsa Charretier
    Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala embark on an action-packed adventure where not all is as it seems in a story by fan-favorites Elsa Charretier and Pierrick Colinet!

• Fun for Star Wars fans of all ages!
    • Plus, an exciting new Tales from Wild Space!
    • Star Wars Adventures: Forces of Destiny fan-favorite creator, Elsa Charretier, returns!

*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
    In Shops: Jul 11, 2018
    SRP: $3.99
    More Anakin and Padme stories! [face_love]

Mandalorian Riddler likes this.
  17. Darth-Krayt

Darth-Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2018
    I can’t believe the R2/3PO story is called “in trouble again”!

That is the best reference ever!

18. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Just finished the Annual...

1) The Rabbit's Foot looks exactly the same!

2) "Aduba-3", "green-ears", "cottontail", even Jaxxon's steaks!
    "I know this great place that does dewback steaks...""Think'a how many steaks I could buy for what that plating will cost!"

3) THE WHEEL

4) THIS PARALLEL: (even uses the same sound effect!)
    [​IMG]

But...

-1000) Amaiza is a double-crosser? =((

19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I loved that - a "deep cut" if ever there was one. The whole issue was a lot of fun, honestly - at times I felt like I was reading a lost issue of the old Droids series from Marvel's Star Comics. SWA may be for kids, but the writers know their Star Wars and love the source material, that's for sure!
    My FLCS didn't get theirs. Looks like I'm waiting another week :( Still looking forward to the triumphant return of Jaxxon and Amaiza, "KCHOP" sound effects and all!

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Just finished reading the annual - great fun!

First and foremost, a big welcome back to John Jackson Miller for his return to Star Wars comics! I sincerely hope that this annual is his big time return to the medium! His story was super fun to read with a lot of funny moments. The art was fittinly great for the style of the story.

The Jaxxon & Amaiza comic had a bunch of awesome Legends stuff
    T3 model droids from KOTOR are baaack!!! I jumped from my chair when I turned the page and there it was ML-08 aka Mel, a droid that looks exactly like T3-M4. Also the Wheel! Aduba-3! Jaxxon's ship from the old MARVEL comics! And of course, Jaxxon and Amaiza themselves.

Overall I loved the annual. One of my all time favorite Star Wars authors is back writing Star Wars comics, and as if that wasn't enough there are some Legends treats sprinkled in here too. Good job IDW!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  21. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Is the Annual already akin to a trade paperback like Destroyer Down, or is it strictly a comic like any other?

22. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    I was grinning ear to ear while reading the Jaxxon story.

LelalMekha likes this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Same. The main story was great too. As much as I've been enjoying most of the comics output recently, there's something about John Jackson Miller's writing that feels like a return to form. Maybe just the longer page count for his story, but there seemed to be more space for worldbuilding and extra details that are perhaps missed in other tales.

But the Jaxxon one is pure joy. Great day for comics.

SWpants likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice to see the Wheel is consistent with its appearance in The Freemaker Adventures. :)

AV-6R7 and Vthuil like this.
  25. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    This whole series has been a blast to read. I'd been wanting SW anthology comics back for a while now, and I wasn't disappointed.