main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Expanse (book and TV and...video game series?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Nov 30, 2014.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Still have to read the previously released book and the newest entry in the series, but I'm very much enjoying both the books and the show. I'll probably rewatch the last couple episodes of season 2 just to refresh my memory, I don't quite recall how the show has changed/added characters into the architecture of the plot. There's a lot of cool stuff happening further along in the books, and I have to kindly disagree with Vivec because I like the problem of an ethnic group/race seeing their end coming and painfully lashing out against the system that created them and is just as easily going to leave them to die.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Persepolis Rising goes full Lensman with the proto-molecule, I mean talk about flipping over the chess board.

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So I started up on my journey through the books again (took a break while waiting for the next book), and Nemesis Games was up next for me. I raced through it eagerly. It was fantastic, tense and exciting with game changing events that had me at turns, gutted, surprised, relieved and elated. Onto Babylon's Ashes!

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Persepolis Rising....

30 years later? Sheesh!

5. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    yeah, that was a surprise, But this book is about overturning the chess board.

6. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Finished Babylon’s Ashes. Decent read and I liked the conclusion for the Marco Inaros/Free Navy plotline and what they end up doing with the Belters.

But I’m certainly ready to get back to some protomolecule action. Which the first chapter of Persepolis Rising certainly has started to deliver on.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I for one was quite happy when Bobbie busted dude in the teeth.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I am still grasping the final plan of Winston Duarte, the martian psyche I find both fascinating and disturbing. The fanatical devotion to a singular principle ie terraforming Mars to a galactic scale. I wont go into the details because, you have to read it for yourself. Duarte seems to have an understanding of the failures of the Martial Congressional Republic, but he is also falling for that same devotion to an ideal. A different ideal, he seems hell bent on avoiding the evil overlord list, but is his ultimate goals are still crazy.

Picking a fight with those who killed the proto-molecules creators?

Was it always likely to happen? sure, but still going out looking for trouble?

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Just finished Babylon's Ashes and loved it, a great second part to NG's opening part. Personally, I much prefer the humanity stuff over the mystical alien/protomolecule stuff, and the politics and battles of these last two books have been great to read.

I don't have Persepolis Rising yet, and was waiting for the paperback later this year, but damn do I want to leap into it right now. These books are real page turners.

10. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Finished Persepolis Rising. A great new entry that sets up the end game, as posters have said above appropriately flips over the chess board, bids adieu to a main crew member, and ends on a pretty impressive cliffhanger. Really interested to see how this comes a conclusion in the next two books.

@Likewater

It's probably hubris. There's a realistic way to use the protomolecule to just enhance their already existing technology for a better quality of life/terraforming for Laconian colonies, but whether it comes down to arrogance that he is (possibly) immortal and psychic and the shepherd of some grand human empire that will be able to succeed where the proto-civilization failed or just a built in Martian need to bash his head into an impossible task until it gives way I'm certainly interested to see how SA Corey develops Duarte in further entries. It feels like we now have an appropriate big bad that combines the thematic resonance of the worst of human need to subjugate and rule combined with tampering with the unknown in the protomolecular tech as well as the cool twists and turns the political plotline has taken setting up Mars as a faction. I now have to go back into the series and track his appearances/ the protomolecule sample as it changes hands.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    PR

I can see Holden getting the superior alien tech in hand and ending Duarte. I would hope though that perhaps they keep it and use it rather than just revert to where they started tech-wise.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Finished Babylon's Ashes the other day. Getting Persepolis Rising tomorrow and I'll be all caught up.

13. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm only 30 or so pages into PR but
    pretty surprised by a three decade time skip. Alex got married, had a kid divorced and the kid is in college, all in between books!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Finished Persepolis Rising.

Glad we're back to the proto-molecule, its creators, and their killers. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine that we took a break from it in NG and BA (and how they set up PR) but it's good to be back.

I got used to the time skip now that it seems that 70 is the new 50, if Holden's parents and Avasarala are anything to go by.

Singh was an ***hole but he was a great character in that you got to understand his (awful) mindset. He was definitely set up from the beginning by Duarte to be the sacrificial lamb to make Laconia look good in taking care of its own messes.

Also Duarte was suitably menacing, especially at the end when he realized he could see other people's thoughts form. Also I'm reminded of Miller's comments about shooting Dresden in LW. Duarte does make sense, and that's very scary given how awful a person he is.

As for the crew of the Roci, its going to be interesting without Holden for the foreseeable future. Losing Clarissa was sad I suppose, though she got off way too easy for the hundreds (possibly thousands) of deaths she caused in Abbadon's Gate.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    darthcaedus1138 and Lord Vivec like this.
  15. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    The Culture of Lacona is just as creepy fanatical as Mars was, as I understand it it is a representation of the United States ideas of predestination aka shining city seen fron the outside as well as inside.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Your first paragraph: so much yes.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    We've got a title and release month for the next Expanse book. It'll be out in December and will be titled Tiamat's Wrath.

Link

Someone posted this on the subreddit:

"In the religion of ancient Babylon, Tiamat is a primordial goddess of the salt sea, mating with Abzû, the god of fresh water, to produce younger gods. She is the symbol of the chaos of primordial creation.

Surely this will end well for the Laconians"

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Can't wait for the Laconians to get their just desserts. Getting whatever Materialist fallen empire mad at them for using forbidden tech is gonna be awesome

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Cool, thanks for sharing.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    no big twists in the season 3 premiere, but i'm glad the show is back. this was the first time in a really long time that i watched a scripted show as it aired and had to put up with the commercials. that part i didn't like one bit. i will probably watch the rest of the season after the fact.

22. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Please try to watch the show live or dvred or through an online supplier. It needs as much support as possible for it to get renewed.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I heard it was on the bubble. It sucks to hear about this and Brooklyn 99 within 24 hours. Save us, Overstock.com!

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999