main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I wonder if he's a dialect coach - like the dude who plays Major Ematt in the ST - he was on set to help actors with accents etc. Maybe that was all it was and someone didn't bother to check and just went with the easy clickbait. Alden's a good actor. Any issues with the performance (if there are any) won't come from lack of ability.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I suspect much ado about nothing.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    No mistaking it now. He's got it.

[​IMG]

4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    As long as he's charming and charismatic in his own right, then that's enough. Doing a Harrison Ford impression would probably be funny in a bad way, and honestly I don't think that would be a smart way to go about making this kind of movie.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I'm only interested in whether or not I like what Alden does. Not on whether or not he tries to be Harrison.

Taylore, PymParticles , Giovs and 3 others like this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    His "I thought we were in trouble, but we're fine" line in the first trailer started me believing he could be Han. Then pretty much everything he said and did in the new trailer convinced me. That, combined with this being set ten years before ANH, makes this work.

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. While Karl Urban does a decent Bones impression in the new Star Trek movies it still feels very much like a dude doing an impression. I'm glad Alden's not doing that.

Taylore, wobbits and Glitterstimm like this.
  8. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I showed a co worker the trailer today and compared it with the two minute long Anthony Ingruber impersonation video and it just reinforced my feelings that watching someone do a two hour impersonation is not what I'd be interested in seeing. She didn't think it was such a hot idea either.

I really like what I am seeing from Alden.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Taylore, EHT, Jamie1001 and 1 other person like this.
  9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yeah, I can't stand Ingruber's impression. People always refer to Age of Adeline but I always cringe watching 20 something Ingruber doing his best 35 year old Harrison voice.

10. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I’m not sold on this guy at all.

11. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    He's very flat.

Given what's been shown I can believe the acting coach rumor, Disney denied the production troubles on Rogue One and claimed that it was just undergoing normal reshoots which we now know was a lie so it's clear they don't want the truth about their troubled productions going public.

Seems this was a big miscast, Lord and Miller mentioned they auditioned 3000 people or something and what they ended up with was Ehrenreich playing on set wallpaper.

12. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Ehrenreich looks fantastic. Solo is my favorite movie character of all time, and this kid has nailed a younger version from what I have seen so far. Lets hope he brings that to the whole movie. I'm confident he can. Doesn't matter who they picked, their would be those not even willing to give him a chance.

13. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I thought he was fine in both trailers. A lot of Han fans think it's sacrilege to get someone else to play Han, but it's been done since the beginning of time to recast younger versions of characters, including in SW. I have some concerns about the movie, but I'm fine with suspending disbelief watching a younger version of Han. I do think he'll be overshadowed by the super charismatic Donald Glover, but it seems Lando only appears in the last third of the movie.

14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Agreed. It's just so obviously an impression. You don't hire impressionists to perform. It reminds me of what James Arnold Taylor said about voicing Obi-wan in Clone Wars. Paraphrasing: "It's great that you can do a voice, like, say, Marty Mcfly. You can do a great impression of Michael J Fox's performance in back to the future. But can you scream as Marty? Can you get electrocuted as Marty? Can you read Shakespeare as Marty? If you can only do the same lines the way they were delivered in the film, you're not Marty. The same applied to me for Obi-Wan."

Ingruber isn't actually a bad actor. His performance as The Joker in the telltale Batman games has been quite good from what I've played so far. I just don't buy his Harrison act. It's forced, and not very good. If that's what he was going to bring to the table, I'm much happier with Alden.

11-4D and wobbits like this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Only the early part of the movie, most of what we have seen in the trailers is set about five years before ANH.

wobbits likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You'd think but Han is already on the Falcon when he says that line so it's not early in the film.

EHT likes this.
  17. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Yep, what I said.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Some comments from Ehrenreich from a USA Today piece on the big summer movies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...see-summer-avengers-young-han-solo/498954002/

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    And new pic....

[​IMG]

Taylore, 11-4D and wobbits like this.
  20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I am really looking forward to the press tour heating up here soon.

Giovs likes this.
  21. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Do you think he'll end the movie in the classic waistcoat?

22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I really don't have a problem with someone else playing Han, because we've been through it already. In the OT radio dramas, Perry King did very well as a snarkier, somewhat more complex Han. Whenever I read the Brian Daley books, I imagine King doing Han's dialogue, rather than Ford.

Ehrenreich doesn't have to do a Harrison Ford imitation. If he gets the rhythm and the attitude right, he'll do OK. The new trailer looks promising, in that respect.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I personally hope not, it would be way too on the nose.

wobbits likes this.
  24. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I was always fine with the idea of replacing Harrison if they did a younger storyline because Young Indiana Jones was introduced to me when I was very young so I've always accepted that. I know Indy and Han are two totally different characters but it's the same principle.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  25. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    If the recast of Han goes well with this movie, will Lucasfilm consider doing the same for Luke and Leia.......
    Opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk