main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    One word - WOW! ^:)^=D=

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    (Hear the breathing)

Me: Uh oh.

(See the Red Lightsaber ignite)

Me: THey are gonna die

(Onslaught begins)

Me: (In my best Simpsons quoting capabilities) Stop! Stoooooop! They're already dead!

christophero30 likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There is also the relevant detail that, in Rogue One, he is desperate to stop them from getting away... while, in the "next scene" in ANH, he stopped them from getting away. You don't maintain the same sense of urgency when the people you had to chase earlier are now no longer in any position to go anywhere.

wobbits and Artoo-Dion like this.
  4. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    It took me back to being a little kid sitting in a local Cinema seeing Vader for the very first time in IV. His presence was menacing and you wanted to close your eyes in horror but you were transfixed by the Dark Lord.

christophero30, Blobofat and Sarge like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's like watching my own reactions in a mirror.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    My Dad saw the scene on TV and all he really had to say was something along the lines of "that's what little Ani becomes. Wow." :cool:

christophero30 and Lady_Misty like this.
  7. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
  8. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    It was EVERYTHING I expected, but horrifying also. IT MADE the movie.

christophero30, Blobofat and jaqen like this.
  9. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    One of my best theater-going experiences (and I'm 51).

christophero30 and Blobofat like this.
  10. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I wished that it was longer!

Master of None and Sarge like this.
  11. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Over the top jubilation....no better villian than Vader

12. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    It was the best moment I had watching Star Wars since The Duel of the Fates fight in TPM, when the elevator opens and Darth Maul slowly looks up.

13. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
  14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I was close to stand up and shout: "Da Capo!"

Blobofat likes this.
  15. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    EPIC EPIC EPIC!

Honestly what a scene!

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    [​IMG]

I have no memory of ever thinking of Darth Vader as truly terrifying. Until Rouge One. It's perhaps the only Star Wars scene that's executed like something directly out of a horror film. And it's the only one of the entire film that I truly loved, easily one of the most effective scenes saga wide.

Interestingly enough, I was far more scared for, and moved by, the plight and fate of those nameless Rebels in the hallway than I was by any of the actual named cast (save K2).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    DarthTalonx and EHT like this.
  17. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I'll be honest, I was a bit dismayed, because I felt that the film had already given us a perfect climax when the Death Star fired on Scarif and the shot of Jyn and Cassian faded to white. I didn't feel it fit the general rhythm and focus of the film to have a big Vader scene right there. (I'd have made it a post-credits scene myself, but I do get that I'm in the minority in preferring Rogue One's other aspects; a lot of people really enjoyed Vader, so fair enough.)

But part of it was that I'd been reading comments in the leadup to Rogue One in which people talked about wanting to see the rebels 'slaughtered' by Vader, and I'm just not on that wavelength myself so I wasn't looking for that sort of scene. I liked the sacrifice that the team made in battle.

18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I felt like I'd just chased a bunch of stormtroopers down a corridor only to find a hanger bay full of them.

19. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Please be advised that my first thought was in line with the epic head canon that was sparked with the conversation between Vader and Krennic: Yeah, unleash your anger Anakin, you have every right to be PO after what you found out...unleash your Vader rath! Oh no..poor men..by the end of it I just really sad.
    Well he certainly learned to work with what he represents and I'd like to believe that he finds that aspect of his job amusing.
    I can see why people don't like it, but for me it was like- Finally something that really shows Vader properly at 42...once I found out he was 23 when he turned, it was hard to take Vader's physicality in OT seriously for quite some time; the unmasking being downright jarring, I thought he looked like a huge teddy bear for years. Besides the moves were nothing we haven't seen before...it was perfectly done. Shows why Palp kept him around so long despite most likely considering Vader a failure in many aspects.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I really had the same sentiment. The only thing that came to mind as I watched that scene unfold was, "oh boy, most of the folks in the JCF are gonna be on Cloud 9 over this one". If the movie ended with the sacrifice and the corvette escaping with the plans, I'd have been just as satisfied. Vader was really a side character to the movie; even Tarkin had a somewhat more significant role.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Taylore likes this.
  21. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    TBH I could've done with out it, but it does give more weight to the conversation between Vader and Krennic and a peek at the likely power struggle between Vader and Tarkin to become sole enforcers the Empire; making the scene an urgent attempt to get the plans before the stolen plans before they become an "Official Empire Matter" allowing the Moffs to get involved.

22. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I was completely blown away. I thought they really did the character justice both in the moment and also as a set up to the original film. He went in to complete Jason Voorhees mode and it completely worked. I was very skeptical going in to the film, and it wasn't perfect however it was very good and the Vader scene along with the Leia shot at the end really made it special for me personally.

I loved it.

DarthTalonx, christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    That scene was excellent. Really adds to my wish for a Vader film/trilogy.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    As long as that includes a live action Dr. Aphra, I'm game.

25. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    YES! With proper writing it can be done..but Disney SW at least cinematically, lacks a lot of that atm.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Togruta likes this.