main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Thankfully he's dead then. The only thing more ridiculous than an Inquisitor with two helisabers would be Pong Krell with four helisabers. Like the drone from hell.

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm pretty sure he just divided his single heli-saber in half....

3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Yep, it was.

They could have used the AT-TE in Imperial colours instead. Same for the TIE Fighters. Instead of TIEs, they should have used ARC-170s and V-Wings, but I guess they want to keep the visual style of the Empire distinct from the Grand Army of the Republic, even though it doesn't make any sense at all from the in-universe point of view. Especially when the story now officially takes place only one year after ROTS.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't see how he had two double bladed swords. I thought that was a Pong Krell thing.This issue comes out this week doesn't it.

5. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Welp...just had the identity of the Jedi spoiled for me :(

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    HOLY *****. Holy ****. This issue was epic. I can't even start to describe all the epicness... I need a moment.

--Adm. Nick

7. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Haven't read it, but I WANT to be spoiled. Who is it?

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    And the mystery Jedi is...Barr? He is an iktochi Jedi Master like Saesee Tiin (and actually looks quite a bit like Tiin too). He's also a brand new character, so I'm not sure why he was teased in the previous issue. However, I am glad that we weren't teased any further with the reveal and that Barr is made known relatively soon in the issue. I am also relieved that it's not Quinlan Vos either, as many were speculating. He is not alone though! There are six other Jedi beside him, and funny enough, several of them look vaguely like Jedi from Legends. When I first saw Verla, I immediately thought DASS JENNIR. The way she is drawn in the first panel she appeared is a bit difficult to tell if the character is a male or female, and her hair is very similar to Jennir's as he appeared in Into the Unknown part 1. Next there is a human male with a shaved head that looks kinda like Mace Windu, but almost certainly isn't him :p And finally, there's Rebb, who to me looked a lot like Bultar Swan. That all said, I am very pleased that all of the Jedi are original characters and I'm looking forward to the resoluion of their stories in this arc. I'm half expecting a Vader vs multiple Jedi ala Purge: Last Stand of the Jedi. But, it seems like Barr has a specific plan as to how to deal with Vader, so maybe the confrontation will be more elaborate than just simple lightsabers vs lightsabers.

It was cool to see the flashback Vader had from his time during the Clone Wars season 4 Mon Cala arc. It is good to see that Vader stories utilize his memories as Anakin, such as Dark Times: The Path to Nowhere and Lords of the Sith beside this issue.

The entrance of Vader and the inquisitors in front of Lee Char was epic, probably my favourite panel of this issue. RIP Lee Char (I guess he's dead?). Vader tossing Lee Char across the room reminded me a bit of the Force Unleashed when Vader did a similar thing to Starkiller. Tarkin's response to Jordo "It is a long fall to the ocean" was adequatelly cruel for the character. It was cool to see the Ninth Sister using a mind probing Force power on Lee Char similar to Kylo Ren. By the way, did this issue re-canonise WHALADONS?!?

In a nutshell, another good issue with plenty of Mon Cal action that I'm sure certain members here will love :D Also happy that we got brand new Jedi characters too.

EDIT: My attempt at translating the aurebesh from Barr's hologram:

Sidious

Order 66

Skywalker

Padawan (not sure about this one, I don't know what the two symbols at the beginning and end of the word mean? perhaps they indicate what is selected for the hologram to display, as the next image shown is of Anakin as a Jedi Padawan)

Maul

Tyrannus

Plagueis

Binks

Amidala

Sifo-Dyas

Kamino

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Ithorians and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  9. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    So it's an Iktochi by the name of Master Barr and he has a bunch of padawans with him. He managed to get achieve footage during Operation Nightfall and put the two and two together.

cwustudent likes this.
  10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Master Barr isn't Saesee Tiin, so why all the hype about him? Although he lost a horn like Legends Saesee did...

Not sure how he could be Tiin at all considering Palpatine himself killed him, and would definitely check if he were actually dead.

spicer likes this.
  11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    My best guess at the moment is that he was teased in the previous issue just to hype the fans and start a debate.

12. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I really loved this issue! The opening battle sequence was awesome, and the story continued to hit all the right notes through to the end. I liked meeting the surviving Jedi, and the strategy to defend Mon Cala was brilliant and has me very excited for the next issue!
    I really don't think he's dead, just captured. The arc in the main Star Wars series right now is about rescuing him from an imperial prison

13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Ah, didn't know that as I'm not reading the main series.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  14. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I really liked this issue! It´s becoming the trend with this comic, surely. I´m quite alright with the Jedi not being a Legends character; he didn´t needed to be to make a good story. Also, I think it´s fantastic that there are more Jedi with him. It opens quite some possibilities, even if I´m not expecting a Purge remake with this lot (maybe a reference).

I take it that Lee Char is alive, with Vader and his Inquisitors distracted long enough for him to escape, and perhaps using their Force barrier to avoid being crushed by that much water. I´m still surprised at the perilous situation they have been put into; I´m rather impressed if all of them survive the attack (well, I guess we can count the stromtroopers out).

All in all, while I was reading the comic I was constantly thinking "please, don´t end just yet" haha, that´s a pretty good sign, I reckon...

15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Lee Char
    survives Vader’s attack
    because the main Star Wars on going
    is currently trying to break him out of Imperial Prison after an approximately 20 years it seems

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

spicer likes this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    JarJar continues to be the key to all of this

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  17. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    So, question:

This Barr guy with his hologram list, how does he have Darth Plagueis on that list? I assume no one outside of Sidious and Anakin knew about Plagueis. And according to canon Plagueis is still Sidious's master not some Sith Legend. So, how does he know that name? Did the force tell him? Also is Tyranus's name spelt slightly incorrectly with an extra N, in Aurebesh? That's impressive, but we can easily wave that off as a typo on Barr's part.

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This series is full of continuity errors. The last arc called Anakin a "Jedi Master", and not just "Master" the way the younglings called him.

I assume Story Group edits this series? This seems sloppy considering the comics are probably one of the few areas they have actual power (I'm guessing they don't have much over the films themselves, take Luke's non-reaction to Jakku, the site of the Empire's defeat, in 8. Rian might not even know the Empire died there.)

MrDarth0 likes this.
  19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Wow, ok.

So to actually answer KikReask's question:
    We don't necessarily know that the name "Plagueis" was actually that big of a secret. Both Palpatine and Dooku operated under their "Sidious" and "Tyranus" names with third parties at different times; it's not much of a stretch to speculate that the canon equivalent of Hego Damask did the same, perhaps leaving a clue that the resourceful Barr was later able to pick up during his investigation.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    To be fair, I didn't answer the question because as far as I know there IS no answer--even what you have posted is well reasoned speculation, but still speculation.

There's no secret answer that I know about and am purposely withholding. My comment about continuity errors stems as a continuation from the earlier one regarding Anakin being a "Jedi Master" as opposed to "Master" that, as far as I know, was never addressed by the writers or Story Group, so I had skepticism they would address this one as the previous was a more glaring error contradicting ROTS itself.

Nor was Leia's return to Yavin in her comic series ever explained to my knowledge, despite other sources (including the beginning of this series) saying Yavin was being evacuated in literally a day.

I would suggest someone ask Pablo or the writer about this on twitter to get an actual answer (although it may very well be along the lines of what @The Positive Fan posted).

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Okay, so much cool stuff. Bullet points below:

• Awesome flashback to Lee-Char's coronation. Nice tie to Anakin knowing this world, the king, Ackbar, etc. Plus it shows him thinking about Padme.
    • We see the king, Ackbar, Raddus, and the Calamari Council discussing the progress of the attack and their focus on evacuating civilians from the surface cities.
    • Raddus is angered by this, as he sees any retreat (even strategic) as a failure.
    • Cool scene where Lee-Char and Tarkin converse via hologram. Lee-Char questions why the Empire would attack it's own members... nice reminder that at this point all former Republic worlds still feel a connection to the Empire.
    • Master Barr was the one let down. He's a cool character with cool motivations... but he is a NEW character. They didn't need the mystery, IMO.
    • Lee-Char learns from Master Barr that the Jedi had a force vision about the Mon Calamari being key to defeating the Empire. Nice foreshadowing of their role in the Rebellion.
    • Lee-Char is a good king. Orders Ackbar to command defense of northern hemisphere and Raddus to command the southern defense. Focus is to get all civilians evacuated from the surface.
    • Lee-Char is captured by the Empire... but not before he unleashes his secret plan!
    • Massive Whaladons, coordinating with the Mon Cala, surface across the planet and cause tidal waves, swamping or sinking the surface cities. This is done to deprive the Empire of surface point to mount their operations from. I ****ING loved that. Whaladons.
    So good, can't wait for more!

--Adm. Nick

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Well I found #14 to be very underwhelming.
    To hide the jedi's identity only for him to be a new character that nobody knows, is a complete cop-out, just like the huge Christmas present under the tree that is actually just a pair of socks in an otherwise empty box. An his name reveal by the white haired girl lol so ironic "Skywalker, Master Barr? who is that?" While everyone reading that will be thinking "Master Barr? Who the %#@* are you!". And Tarkin's words on the panel above "There are no surprises for us on Mon Cala.". They are trolling us. I'm almost surprised that Master Barr didn't have the troll face expression when we first see his face.

So Barr knows about Skywalker because he somehow got this footage of him killing the younglings? Pfff. We have also still not seen the Inquisitors actually do anything but lightsabre pose or walk, everything happens off panel. And King Lee Char's plans suck. Plan A, ask Tarkin to leave or else. Lol.
    Plan B. Magically make huge whales all around the planet to jump out the water and splash down all at the same time to make tsunamis? LOL. Reminds me of that myth that if everyone on earth jumped at the same time, the earth's orbit would change. A very disappointing read.

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I thought the Rebels AT-AT was meant to be more advanced?

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    So a couple of things make me very suspicious of this Jedi and think they have fallen to the dark side.

It looks like Barr is using a Jedi mind trick to convince Lee-Char to go along with his plan to save the galaxy. I would bet he killed the ambassador so as to provoke a conflict and try to force his vision of the Mon Calamari being key to the defeat of the Empire to come to pass quickly.

And I don't think the other "Jedi" with Barr are survivors of Order 66. They have blasters instead of lightsabers, and what Jedi would not know who Anakin Skywalker is? I think Barr may have found some Force-sensitive beings to train. Or maybe they are not even Force-sensitive, but members of the Church of the Force or a similar organization. Whatever the case, he is going to get them all killed.

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Must agree.

Such an underwhelming surprise. Why even hide it if they’re new?

I won’t care when they inevitably die in two issues because I have no history with this character and thus no attachment.

Pretty dull.