main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    There’s interviews from back in 1977 where even Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Lucas himself state Chewbacca is about 200 years old. You can find these on YouTube.

Many of the old EU concepts and planets and alien species and even some characters like Thrawn and the Chiss have been incorporated into the new definitive canon and I’m currently reading through some of my old Legends reference books and wondering how much do we know was also lifted to canon so far. It seems most of the corporations like Merr-Sonn, Blast-tech, Incom, Taim and Baks, Frie Tek, Czerka, Tagge co are canon. And even the planet Rakata Prime is canon which makes me wonder if the pre republic Infinite Empire and the star forge are canon too.

What about the Noghri, Ysalmari, the Hapes consortium etc and what are the chances of the Yukazan Vong being transferred to canon in some form? The unknown regions has basically been already trailblazed in new canon by the first order but what about outside the galaxy? The concept of sectors outside the galaxy are referred to in attack of the clones with the rishi maze and beyond.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, with Rukh being canon, we know at least some of the Noghri are canon, assuming he's not the sole surviving member of his race.

3. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    So, Darth Vader's suit has little blinking lights on it, for reasons. In Rogue One, Vader is all dark, until he turns on his lightsaber and wrecks the rebels. What happened to the blinking lights?

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I have to imagine he can turn the lights off for stealth purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I’m totally fine with this explanation, even though stealth isn’t really Vader’s thing.

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Low battery power saving mode.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    When was the wookiee lifespan first introduced?

8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Out of the box Chewie was around 200. Topps Trading cards, Poster Magazines, comics and novels, even general press stuff stated "a 200 year old Wookiee".

vncredleader likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm....Metal Gear Vader?

Gamiel likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Has it ever been suggested that the Tales of the Jedi comics are the contents of the Tedryn Holocron?

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Ultimate Alien Anthology (Wizards of the Coast, 2003) gave this information:
    I'm not certain that this was indeed the very first time the species' lifespan was given, but I'm posting it anyway in hopes that someone can one-up me with an earlier source if it's not. And of course, as @FiveFireRings noted above, Chewie's age was stated in sources much earlier than 2003.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Has anything ever been said about how Palpatine felt about the destruction of Alderaan?

revan772 likes this.
  13. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    How are we suppose to work Legends chronology with TCW? Of course we have small things that retcon the novels, like Even Piell dying in both CN and TCW, but we also have the "mother" of the One family appear in later books. Do most people assume that the Ones just exist anyway and don't count TCW, or is there some kind of work around for this?

14. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Officially, TCW exists both in Legends and Canon, and where there is a contradiction, it overwrites any previous Legends source.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    RaptorMusic, revan772 and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Thought I'd add more to clarify: they appear in the one-shot Cassian & K2SO comic.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When and where was the idea that Rule of Two Sith essence transfer into their apprentices first suggested?

17. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Do you mean in-universe? Bane ambiguously essence transfers into Zannah at the end of Dynasty of Evil (though Karpyshyn states that was not his intention).

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant by fans. I suspect that the idea was around in the fandom before that.

19. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes, it was stated that it was very dangerous for the user to use it on a strong willed, unwilling subject. The users soul would end up forever in chaos if they lost, or something like that. So a Sith Lord would have to be overwhelmingly more powerful than their unwilling apprentice for the transfer to be successful, and even if successful, the Sith Lord could only become less powerful. This is why clone bodies were used by Sidious in Dark Empire. No battle for possession of body, and potentially, identical power.

PCCViking likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually it was unambiguous that he transferred into her.

What was ambiguous was what happened immediately afterwards - who won the fight inside her head.
    Karpyshyn said intent was that Zannah won, and that the Bane mannerism seen afterward was "leftovers" of his destroyed personality.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Until Karpyshyn's blog post, I certainly thought that the author intentionally left it ambiguous...why else set up the hand-clenching detail so meticulously? As a side note, I really loved the Bane Trilogy. Those 3 novels and Deceived are my favorite "Sith-focused" novels.

Here is a portion of Karpyshyn's blog post for those who want to recall what he wrote:

I’ll be honest; I thought it was pretty clear in my writing. I wrote the scene from Cognus’s point of view to keep you guessing to the last instant, but when Zannah proclaims “Darth Bane is gone. I am Darth Zannah, Dark Lord of the Sith and your new Master,” I thought it would be pretty clear.

The whole thing with Zannah’s hand twitching was only to show that some part of Bane had passed through to her. How much – was he still “alive” in some way, or is it just a small part of his identity imprinted on her – was supposed to be the ambiguous part. But I never wanted people to assume Bane had taken over Zannah’s body successfully.

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I got the intent right away. The hand tremor is just a nice little reminder to her that the burden of master is now hers. Bane is a spiteful guy after all

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When were lightsabers invented in-universe?

24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Sometime between Dawn of the Jedi and the Great Hyperspace War, I would imagine. Lightsabers in the latter conflict/era still needed to be "charged," at least going by the Paul S. Kemp duology "Crosscurrent" and "Riptide."

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In Golden Age of the Sith they needed large external batteries connected to the hilt of the 'sabre by an electric-cable

PCCViking likes this.