main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    I don't find it underwhelming, but actually smart since it generate discussion and it wasn't dragged.

About the issue, it was great and I really liked the flashback to the clone wars. The Jedi though seem to be quite shady and I'm curious to see what he is planning.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    revan772 likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The point of the mystery was to get you to buy the next comic so you could find out who it was.

EDIT:
    Ackbar
    Master Barr
    Lee-Char

Did Dr Seuss come up with these names? I'll have to read the comic again to see if it rhymes.
    Would you eat green eggs and ham? Would you could you with Ackbar? Would you could you with Lee-Char? Would you eat them with Master Barr? Would you eat them in a car?

Noir Deux and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Gladly, I wasn´t so affected by the whole "who the Jedi is!!!" thing... it wasn´t such a big deal for me from the beginning. So, he wasn´t Quinlan Vos, Obi Wan (?), Mace Windu (???)... it´s not like only Legend characters knew Skywalker´s past! But I can understand the frustration from people that did get their hopes up in that sense...

Myself, I´m rather glad that they are presenting new characters. It would be pretty easy to keep running around the Legends ones and just adapting them to the needs of the story, but they are trying to expand the lore. Would the new Jedi (plural) become a staple for new Star Wars material for years to come? perhaps they are not meant to, we´ll have to see where their story take us.

Still, it´s several Jedi vs Vader and his Inquisitors. I´ve long waited to see this... I´m at the very least intrigued by the outcome!

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I like that the jedi is a new character. As others had previously said, a major existing character (Like Quinlen Vos), would be done disservice by showing up only to die in this arc.
    And I am utterly relieved it's not Windu, who by all means should stay dead as I have indicated before.

I do admit it was kind of a cop out to hide his identity to stoke speculation only to reveal him to be a new character.

I didn't expect there would be others however. They dress like Jedi, but have no knowledge of the chosen one, and wield blasters. They might be young Padawans, or alternatively followers of the Jedi Religion, non (Or ambiguously) force sensitives like the church of the force from Rogue one and TFA.

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I would prefer a Jedi we knew escaped order 66....just so he or she could get killed by Vader after an epic duel.

And I am tired of all these people knowing that Vader is Anakin.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Exactly =D=
    Who are all these people you are talking about exactly? I presume you mean about Jedi, and do not count Palpatine and/or Mass Ameda. If it is only Jedi, to my knowledge there are only two in canon who figured out that Vader = Anakin: Jocasta Nu (for which we know precisely how and when she learned that; also, she died like an hour later) and now Barr. If you want to include Legends Jedi too, then there's Roan Shryne (who Vader revealed that he was Anakin just moments before Roan died, so not sure if it really counts), Ferrus Olin and...I think that's it? Jedi that learned that Vader is Anakin after the events of ROTJ (like A'Sharad Hett for example) don't count either, because it would be ridiculous for them not to know.

Oh, there's Obi-Wan and Yoda as well. So five people in total from both continuities, six if you're pushing it. Am I missing anyone?

7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    In Nu-Canon...Jocasta Nu figured it out and now this Barr guy...is this going to become a thing...Vader will find a Jedi and they will some how figure it out before he whacks them??

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Two Jedi does not a tired trope make.

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Kirak never figured out that Vader was Anakin. The majority of the Order 66 survivors from Legends never knew who Vader was. We're talking only about a handful of Jedi from both continuities combined, in stories told years apart.

EDIT: I forgot to add Sha Koon in my above post. So that's seven Jedi.

An important thing to consider is the quality and originality of the stories. If we already have 100 stories where Vader fights Jedi, and now we're getting a 101st that is distinct from the previous 100, that's fine by me. If however, we got just one such story and the second one is a lazy rehash of the previous, then we have a problem. Quantity =/= quality. We've yet to see the outcome of this arc. As long as it is interesting and doesn't recycle elements from older Vader vs Jedi stories be it from Legends or canon, I don't see a problem.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Kirak didn't know who Anakin Skywalker was. He'd been in exile since before the Blockade of Naboo.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  11. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    To quote Ian Fleming....Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. I just don't want to see it get started. 2 of the first Jedi he encountered figured out who he is.

cwustudent and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    To be accurate, Jocasta didn't figure it out - she simply overheard the guardian droid who bioscanned him.

13. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Not trying to pick a fight, since I agree with your concern, at its base. But keep in mind that Vader and his mooks have been killing Order 66 survivors for a year, now - certainly enough that they’ve gained a reputation for it. So Barr isn’t one of the first Jedi he’s encountered.

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  14. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Barr sensed the presence of Skywalker. He didn’t “figure it out”. That would imply detective work and identity researching. Like a Jedi Squad of hackers trying to “figure out” the man behind the mask.

Also, it seems that film and tv canon has set the precedent that feeling the presence of a force user lets you know their identity. Kind of like a Force Fingerprint unique to an individual. Ahsoka knew it was Anakin while dogfighting in space. Vader felt the presence of Obi-Wan aboard the Death Star. Luke felt the presence of Vader as they approached Endor.

I think that Barr knowing that Skywalker has arrived is intriguing because that means he had personal interactions with him pre-fall. And Jocasta was so absorbed in her mission, she didn’t reach out with the Force, but was notified by a droid who had a bio sensor.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, we've kinda known that since 1977. "I sense something. A presence I've not felt since...."

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Okay so the guy who knows is new, cool, no problem, just needed clarification since I didn't know if he had shown up before. Anyway, he seems super ticked and also everything went ka-blewy real good here so I'm a fan.

Also if the king knows that Vader is Skywalker, it does not bode well for his survival odds in the liberation of Mon Cala arc. And Barr was right, Mon Cala will be liberated and key victory of the Rebellion. Just not now.

17. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I really enjoyed this comic and am glad about the lack of a time skip, I would have felt cheated if the comic skipped a couple of years since I don't want to miss any of the action.

I was a little annoyed at the reveal being a new Jedi, and not one that we've seen. I felt like the tease was a little wasted

Overall, I enjoyed it and enjoyed the edits that were made to keep the timeline consistent, this is exactly what I expected would happen when I found out about the errors, the content creators I feel should pay closer attention to the timeline of events.

18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Certainly Ahsoka is one of the people being referenced here, Jedi or not. And depending on where she is during the OT, she may have informed others. There seems a fair chance given the setup for Thrawn Alliances that Thrawn will sort it out too. And we have reason to believe Tarkin at least suspects.

It's not, strictly speaking, damaging to continuity, but I think it's a legitimate gripe that maybe too many people have the goods here.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  19. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Right. That’s my point. So I don’t understand the argument of how are all (see 2) of these Jedi “figuring out” that Vader=Skywalker.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Ahsoka also figures it out but it doesn't matter and the comic even says so.

Random Jedi: Shouldn't we tell someone? It would undermine Palpatine's rule.
    New Jedi: Naw. Who would listen and Palpatine would twist it around anyway and lie about it.

So at this point people figuring out who Vader really is or who the Inquisitors really are doesn't matter. Palpatine wants peace and order in the galaxy. When the Rebellion comes along creating chaos, they look like the bad guys instead of the Empire.

21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    It would actually matter to the Inquisitors I think. It could undermine some of Vader's authority with them, if they would know he's also a former Jedi like them.

And it obviously matters to Vader, otherwise he wouldn't have killed all those clone troopers after Jocasta said it in front of them.

Some Imperial officers and dignitaries could also potentially use this information against Vader. The fact that nobody knows where Vader came from and who he really is helps build an aura of mystery and fear around him.

22. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I tend to agree that the galaxy wouldn't care about the whole Sith thing with Palpatine or even understand it. The only thing I've thought Palpatine would have have a problem with is the murder of the younglings. How the hell do you justify that? I always suspected that Palpatine gave an official story that he ordered the clone troopers to "rescue" the Jedi younglings from their "captors" but in a final act of villainy the Jedi slaughtered them rather than let the Empire "liberate" them.

Anyway, really good issue. The battle of Mon Cala is already turning into something epic and I like Vader using his experiences as Anakin not to underestimate Lee-Char. I don't mind the Jedi being a nobody but it was completely ridiculous and misleading to his identity last issue if he was going to turn out to be a nobody.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Sure, I agree, but as far as the galaxy is concerned, it does not seem to matter or at least according to Master Barr. I didn't read Bloodline, but from what I heard the galaxy did care when they found out Leia was the daughter of the man that was Darth Vader, but people still followed her anyway right, so I hate to relate this to our current state of things, but Anakin being Vader during the height of Palpatine's rule would be labelled "fake news" by the Empire.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  24. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    So far they're using the Season 4 arc as a flashback, but I wouldn't be surprised if things from the Tikkes/Padme unfinished arc comes into play near the end of this story.

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    One thing I didn't get was, how the Padawan/knights didn't know who Anakin Skywalker was?!

I mean wasn't the dude the most famous Jedi/ War hero of the TCW that at this point was only a year ago?

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.