main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Indeed.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Sweet jeebus how did I not know that?! Being a internet savvy Stargate and PlayStation fan I am ashamed I did not know sooner! I may not be able to wait for the game to price drop after all....

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    So I may or may not be the last person to know, but in case I'm not KOTOR is now playable on Xbox One thanks to backward compatibility. KOTOR2, "Original" Battlefront, "Original" Battlefront 2, Republic Commando, Jedi Academy, and Jedi Starfighter are all coming on April 26. Maybe I'll actually finish KOTOR2 this time, who knows.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    ... why? :confused:

Is there some backstory here? What do they have against Christopher Judge that they wouldn't also have against T.C. Carson?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    darthcaedus1138 and JediBatman like this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I just finished the ROTS novelization for the first time, after all these years of recommendations.

My preliminary review score is Meh out of Ten.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope Uli. It's utter idiocy, but it's hilarious too:

Remember the furore over the casting of Idris Elba as Heimdall in Thor? This is the same thing.

A black guy voice acting a manly white dude? Cue outrage.

Carson would also be in the firing line these days if the series started now. Though, if it did, in its original form, it'd probably get a kicking too.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Right, I suppose I didn't see how there was even a flimsy leg for anyone making that argument to stand on given the series' history. Carson even mo-capped him in GoW3.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    funny, because I remember the massive outrage over a white girl voicing a black character in Uncharted 4

9. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Ok, I’ll bite. The erasure of black voices and the appropriation of black bodies has a long, nasty history in US audiovisual culture. Think minstrel shows, in which a white performer, dressed in blackface, would talk and sing in a “stereotypically” “black” voice. Did African Americans of the day have any say in how to best, accurately portray them? Did I even need to ask that question? The tradition continued in cartoons of the early 20th century (which were effectively the successors to minstrelsy), in which hateful caricatures of African Americans were voiced by white voice actors with the explicit intent of ridiculing the character’s otherness. Even the “progressive” 1950s musical Carmen Jones, which features an all-black cast in a retelling of Bizet’s Carmen, replaced its black leads’ voices with those of white opera singers for the musical numbers - once again, singing in a “black” way.

Add to that that the political voice of people of color in the United States has historically been and continues to be silenced by those in power, and the ‘outrage’ you mention gains quite a bit of context. And I now remember that I’m not in the diversity thread, so carry on.

10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    You my friend, truly are Supreme Leader WOKE. :D

Jedi Ben and Vthuil like this.
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think it's also a matter of Neo-Nazis literally worshiping the Norse gods, so having one be played by a person of color was especially an affront to those people. Though from what I remember, there didn't seem to be any outcry when the sequels came out.

Versus none of the Neo-Nazis for the most part really caring as much about invented pseudo-Greek characters.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, it goes well beyond that.

Idris got similar hate for his role as Roland Deschain (despite the movie, sadly sucking, he was a great choice).

Miles Morales was beloved by 90% of the market except that 10% who booed hissed it.

Sam Wilson as Captain America is something no one should object to among Captain America fans but they cancelled his role despite the fact Steve Roger's role in the MCU is coming to an end.

White Supremecists gonna hate.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    It's also funny because in God of War 1 (story spoilers for the uninitiated):

He's only chalk white because he has the ashes of his wife and dead magically bound to his skin, his truer self has fairly dark skin, if I recall correctly.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That spoiler is so God of War!

It is epic.

15. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    You know the killjoys have settled in when people can't even accept that a specific actor might fit the character's changes PERFECTLY well.

Kratos is a dad - older, more grown-up - in this latest iteration. Apologies if I'm being too careful with the spoiler tags, since Atreus has been no secret, but I figure why not be careful.

Plus, Christopher Judge has an utterly awesome voice and is a very skilled actor. Teal'c, anyone? Anyone?

I suppose next, there'll be some trolls who want Vader's OT dialogue rerecorded with someone other than Mr. Jones. :oops:

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    (looks quietly at his wish that they had used someone else in R1...)

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  18. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I've been thinking about what would have happened if the Disney buyout hadn't happened, and honestly, it appears that it would be more or less the same. The EU folks had just wrapped up the second volume of Legacy, and sales were low enough that it, and Dawn of the Jedi, were both cancelled and not coming back. After the debacles that were FOTJ and Crucible, the novels had just found a stopping point, and were reorienting back towards the Original Trilogy. Tim Zahn had just done a book set in that era, the first Princess Leia focused book had just came out, and books about Luke circa ESB and Grand Moff Tarkin had just been commissioned, while the Dark Horse comics were back in the OT era. Similarly, the Sword of the Jedi books remained in development hell, and weren't going anywhere either.

So, uh, we'd get more comics about the original trio, a comic about a Imperial spy (Agent of the Empire), and maybe some SWTOR tie ins, while the novels would continue to rehash the OT. Or, what we have now, except without movies.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    DOTJ and Legacy2 wouldn't have been rushed and cancelled if there was no Disney sale. There were plans for a Christie Golden "Sword of the Jedi" trilogy, and Denning said he was planning more books too. SOTJ was not in development hell, it was literally announced just a few months before the Disney sale happened.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not necessarily - if they had been published by Marvel, then yes, cancellation would happen, but DHC has lower expectations than Marvel and probably would have continued them.

21. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Everything I've heard about the Golden trilogy has had it having broader issues beyond the buyout, but DOTJ and Legacy were having sales issues regardless. The last DOTJ issue sold 12 thousand issues, which is less then half of Dark Horse's OT-era comic the same month, and less then a third of the sales of their Firefly comic. It was selling less then their Buffy stuff, even. I sorta doubt that it would have stuck around. The same applies to Legacy 2.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hard to say, but DHC is a small operator and it does pretty well on trade sales, both of which suggest a less than clear-cut picture of what might have happened.

23. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, sure, but we have to operate with the numbers we have - and digital and trade sales aren't a part of those numbers.

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe that Legacy Vol. 2, Agent of the Empire, and Dawn of the Jedi wouldn't get at least another story arc each if the buyout hadn't happened. On the other hand, I wonder if The Star Wars would have been approved if it wasn't essentially a swansong, not only by DHC but by Lucas.

1313 probably would have come out, too. I highly recommend the chapter on it in Jason Schreier's book Blood, Sweat and Pixels for anyone interested in the story behind that game and its cancellation.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012