main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The alternative is putting up with people complaining that the movie violates canon because Han and Lando no longer go "way back." Take your pick. Anyway, how exactly do we know what specific year it is when we meet Lando in the movie given all this talk of it spanning a number of years?

wobbits likes this.
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Han seems to only recently have met Chewie when he asks how old he is; Chewie being 190 puts that scene at 10 BBY, and Chewie's with Han when he meets Lando for the first time.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Well, Bill Clinton, Alexander the Great, etc. had not clean reputations and were governors/rulers by their early 30s. I mentioned canon because if the Rebels guide says he's circa 30 in ANH, then he's circa 20 in Solo. They're already locked in by their previous statements, so Lando is 20 regardless of Glover's look.

The EU had the situation where Lando was the one who made the Falcon filthy, not Han, to underlie how important it was.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You are correct; thanks for setting me straight. I should have made that connection!

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Keep in mind that Sabine...

is 16 at the start of Rebels and was a bounty hunter before joining the Ghost crew

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  6. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    As the meme goes, Anakin was a Podracer and droid-builder at nine. Padmé was ruling a planet at fourteen.

Luke was... drinking blue milk and playing with his toy Skyhopper.

Still, plenty of Star Wars folk get their start early. Lucas seems to like shouldering young characters with adult responsibilities; Leia was going to be fourteen in early ANH drafts, I believe.

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Lando being a teenage seasoned smuggler is nothing to ruling a planet at 14 I admit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

AusStig likes this.
  8. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    And she was elected. The Naboo thought that was a perfectly sound idea.

9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Not Tam Posla.

This is where we see him:

Found Tam Posla in Jedha City just as the Dauntless was leaving.
    http://caps.pictures/201/6-rogueone/full/rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-4389.jpg
    He's the blurry guy directly on the right. This must be when he and Caysin Bog depart the city before its destroyed. After all, the Partisans are seeing that moment and haven't reached the Catacombs of Cadera yet (looks like another ten-fifteen minutes away from it).

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm sure it was an electoral vote thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Voltron64 likes this.
  11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well in Ep2 she said she wasn't even the youngest Queen ever elected. So I think the position is more like the actual Queen rather then the US pres.

12. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    IIRC a few sources have said that the Naboo Queen was usually someone very young, and often more of a figure head than anything. Not sure if they are technically still canon but I don't think that really matters. Obviously 14 is still younger than usual (the youngest in fact), but it's not like the Queen of Naboo was usually someone in their 40s.

AusStig and BobaMatt like this.
  13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I thought padme said she wasn't the youngest Queen ever? When she is walking with Anakin before the meeting on Naboo in AotC.

But yes the rest I agree with.

Just shows how dumb the people of Naboo are

wobbits and kalzeth like this.
  14. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Ah, didn't know there was a separate sighting of Tam "proper" in there. I guess we can say now that the Partisan just stole some Millvayne Authority armor like the Fetts and their Madalorian gear (canonicity of that being equally ambiguous). Although, is it armor? I'm still not sure what Posla IS in Aphra -- looks to be a droid but doesn't act like one -- and whether or not all Millvayne Authority agents are the same kind of thing under the armor or just him. Or some of them. Hmm.

15. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Maybe Tam Posla was a victim of Evazan and that's why he quit the Milvayne Authority largely to get justice for what the "good" doctor did to him.

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's not so stupid, throughout history, young people have been shouldered with adult responsibilities, up until the late 19th/early 20th century. That's another real life parallel, next to all the monarchies in SW. They're both based on the majority of human history, where monarchs ruled and people were working from their single-digit years.

I think the 'elected royal system' was based on the Kingdom of Hawaii, iirc. The invasion of Naboo by a merchant army was meant to be a callback to the irl invasion and subjugation of Hawaii by US merchants in the 19th century.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Well elected royals were also from the Holy Roman Empire.

Also in history young royals tended to not be in charge, a regency instead

18. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    The Topps Star Wars: Card Trader app added a bunch of SOLO cards. I pulled some images of the new characters I'm most anticipating to peep the costume details.

2x Val:
    I wonder what the wiring and tubing across her gloves and jacket are for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enfys Nest and Moloch:
    Is that Wookiee fur?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2x Mimban Stormtroopers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patrol Trooper and Range Troopers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Apologies if some of these images have been officially released elsewhere already and aren't new to anyone here. I haven't been able to stay on top of what promo material has been released where and when! I somehow managed that for RO but not for this film.)

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Those are neat.

Does Val have an ermine scarf? And she has like climbing ropes.

20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    - I don't understand why range troopers are different from snowtroopers with mountaineering gear.
    - I'm really glad that the Mimban Troopers are just stormtroopers with muddy armor.
    - Val looks like her trigger fingers are powered, somehow. Could have to do with interacting with her weapons.
    - Looking forward to reading the translation of Nest's helmet

21. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    WELL ACKCHYUALLY
    The forehead of the helmet protrudes a bit. (I'm just giving you a hard time :p I have no idea if this distinction matters one bit to anyone, even Stormie variant aficionados. But it's a good excuse to post another cool picture.)

[​IMG]

Crossposting from another thread: that image plus the two below are also from SWCT:

Another shot of a Mimban Stormtrooper:
    [​IMG]

Mudtrooper:
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee, MrDarth0 and spicer like this.
  22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I wonder why they have both Mimban stormtroopers and mudtroopers - at first I thought it was because the mudtroopers were army troopers, but they look more stormtroop-ish in the full gear

AusStig likes this.
  23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    The chest plate of the mudtrooper looks like what Veers was wearing in Empire, so maybe it's an officer thing? (or imperial army)

vncredleader likes this.
  24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Veers wears a repainted snowtrooper chestplate, so unlikely officer-specific armor. (Fun and obvious-in-retrospect fact that I didn't know until like 2 minutes ago: his Imperial Army helmet is also just a repainted snowtrooper helmet with extra greeblies and no mask.)

The mudtrooper chestplate looks slightly different (presumably deliberately) from the snowtrooper version, though not by much.

That doesn't rule out this particular mudtrooper being an officer though---his red arm-armor feels vaguely suggestive of officer-ness.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Can we all agree that having upper-arm armor, but no forearm armor, is pretty bizarre?

Revanfan1 and kalzeth like this.