main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Kylo vs Luke - Military victory vs Moral victory

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sidv88, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, there are some things that should make a good person angry. We just have to be sure our anger is kept under control and focused in the right direction.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Really, the Jedi's central tenant seems like it was exaggerated beyond what is basic advice. It strikes me the Ancient Jedi probably didn't mean to take it as an absolute but it got hammered over and over again until it became all-encompassing.

The original tenant being, "Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement but think before you act, especially in a manner which might lead to violence."

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Sarge and Voltron64 like this.
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I don't think there's much in any Star Wars media to suggest that the Jedi don't get angry or think getting angry period is bad on its own. Mace Windu is angry for at least ten years straight.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, Mace literally created a new martial art that had previously been incomplete for 20,000 years to make sure he never lost control. That's not the actions of someone okay with his rage.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    If Ben stayed with his parents, how would Snoke have trained him?

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    My favorite lightsaber style is the art of tower on a dog.
    "I have had it with these motherfraking snakes in this motherfraking temple!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Kylo was ~30 in TFA. Even if his parents smothered him he was an adult. Snoke might not have got to him young, but Snoke could've got to him as an adult.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

8. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Snoke training Ben is irrelevant. Its now canon you can train from books. ben just needs to find some Sith books and declare himself a sith, much like rey will declare herself a Jedi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I didn't say "okay with." The Jedi are very much about not letting their emotions control them, but this has somehow been interpreted by the fandom as the Jedi being averse to experiencing emotions.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Presumably in a similar way to how he took Ben from Luke?
    [​IMG]

Voltron64 and The Positive Fan like this.
  12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Since the idea of Luke actually fighting Ben on Crait was brought up, I wanted to pose the question, in the spirit of continuing this discussion:

Would killing Kylo Ren deal a major blow to the First Order? Would it benefit the Resistance if Luke had manifested himself solidly enough to deal Kylo a fatal blow?

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It might not have done anything at all if Kylo Ren died. There are 6 other Knights of Ren out there that could take the throne.

Look at the EU's the Old Republic MMO.
    Everyone thought it would be a big deal if Emperor Vitiate died. But he got replaced by Darth Acina, then Darth Vowrawn.

14. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I still think Rey should have just stabbed him through the heart when she woke up before he did in the Throne Room.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Star wars has this thing that killing an unarmed enemy is Dark Side though, going from 1-6. But you know, it probably would have been the practical thing to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Voltron64 and Vialco like this.
  16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Eh, I'd counter that Rey doesn't really need to be a Jedi. She can just be a Light-Side Force-Wielder that doesn't limit herself to specific teachings. Like Ahsoka.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Of course the FO version will be that Snoke was killed by cowardly assassins followed by a surplice attack by honourless Resistance terrorists (who had proclaimed that they had given up and had wounded that needed help to make the honourable FO lower their guard ) crippled Supremacy. And when the brave and noble FO forces tried to capture the Resistance terrorists to bring them to justice they was hindered by that terrorist-anarchist warlock of a Jedi Skywalker and his cowardly trickery (not man enough to actually face his former apprentice, Kylo Ren, who he betrayed and tried to murder).

ObiWanKnowsMe and Charlemagne19 like this.
  18. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Well I wouldn't say the resistance only has the falcon left. Obviously there's allies in the outer rim or they wouldn't mention theyre going to search for it. But militarily obviously kylo won and he is now in TOTAL COMMAND of the most powerful organization in the galaxy. obviously he is empty at the end. But he still won. The Resistance are going to be in mega adversary going into Ep 9

Snoke was essential to Kylo's descent into darkness. Kylo may have always had a darkness hiding deep in him, but he needed someone powerful to exploit it and make it grow somehow. Snoke has done that

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018