main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Perhaps it's that opportunities like this were so few and far between that Draven decided it's best to just kill one of their top commanding officers then to attempt a risky extraction operation. Draven gave this order without any input from the rest of the council. Meaning that he obviously went against the more diplomatic approach in trying to bring Galen in. After having been at war with the Empire for so long, Draven was likely at his wits end and decided this would be a more effective blow against them.

mirrorbright likes this.
  2. The main characters are very generic and boring
    Krennic and Galen Erso should have been the protagonists

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2018
  3. PotatoFighter

PotatoFighter Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2018
    A television series about them going to blows would actually be pretty interesting.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  4. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    No opening crawl
    The two main characters both die at the end
    Vader should have had a longer part in the film

5. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    The At-Ats not hitting enough targets

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I just think it’s a little dreary and unnecessary. The characters aren’t very interesting, and it covers ground that doesn’t need to be covered. And Tarkin and Leia give me uncanny valley vibes.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Not complaints per say as they are explainable, but annoyed me all the same:

Why do Stormtroopers sound so different from one another, when RI is meant to be a prequel to SW?

Why most in the RC are a bunch of pansies?

What in the world was Leia on Scarrif? Head canon is she sort of disobeyed Bail, in true Skywalker fashion.;)

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Not really sure what you mean, but stormtroopers are not clones. They don’t all sound the same as each other in the OT either.

And Leia wasn’t on Scarif, unless you’re questioning why her ship arrived at the battle above it.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  9. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    It's difficult to offer a complaint as, in some ways, R1 is the most flawless of the SW films. From beginning to end it unfolds in a logical, seamless fashion with outstanding visuals, characters and emotional resonance. However, I do find the opening theme and accompanying card peculiarly substandard.compared to the rest of it. It's more like something out of a bad early 80s sci-fi show. Just hearing that cheesy fanfare makes my skin crawl. Fortunately, it's over as quickly as a medical jab.

Jedi Knight Fett and MS1 like this.
  10. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Not according to Lucas, which is why one of the changes he made was so that Boba and Troopers in the OT would sound like Jango. You are right though, and it gives fans the option to believe whatever they want in that regard. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me just slightly annoy me; as said leeway is what allowed Filoni to get away with such BS storyline for the Clones in TCW.

Yes, and yet ...not exactly. watched the Battle again last night and the way is set up it leads you to believe
    that Raddus and Leia are occupying the same ship, are they?:confused:
    And yes why was Leia at Scarif at all, considering the importance of her individual assignment? Like I stated above, I don't mind in the slightest but I can see why people are calling it a plot-hole.

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    They redid Boba’s voice in TESB to be done by Temuera Morrison, who played Jango. But there were no changes like that made to the stormtroopers.

Leia’s ship in RO was docked with Raddus’ ship. So Vader’s landing party entered Raddus’ ship, and moved through it trying to get the plans... but ultimately failing because the plans got onto Leia’s ship, which then launched and got out of there.

12. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    I ask again: How did the blind guy with a wooden staff take out storm troopers who wear armour? Same question goes for the Ewoks (save for the two trees mashing in the Chicken Walker)

13. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh yeah..keeping up with details among my fandoms get confusing and slip.[face_peace]

Oh, no wonder Raddus is presumed dead. Thanks a lot for clarifying this to me.

EHT likes this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Sure! Yup, poor Raddus... @};-

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  15. MyMotherTalzin

MyMotherTalzin Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2018
    How did a tiny group of Rebel soldiers not be quickly overwhelmed by the much larger garrison in the initial battle on Scarif? There was what, 20 of them?

Why is Chirrut able to seemingly dodge blasters by walking very slowly. Please don't tell me they couldn't hit him from that short range. Weren't they Death Troopers? An elite force?

16. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    One of the few in the Alliance with actual testis metaphorically speaking..in my head he lives though, if barely.

Catalyst seems to be a good foundation for that- on my reading list after I finish Tarkin. I'll let you know if its worth it once I'm done with it, if you'd like.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The Deathtroopers certainly missed their target, but I think you may have missed the point. ;)

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The rebel forces are spread out all throughout the beaches and jungles, so they aren't concentrated together to be easily beaten. They use guerilla tactics, hiding, and exaggerating the strength of their force to draw out the troops so that Jyn and Cassian can sneak in effectively.

Bodhi also helps by convincing the Imperials that certain pads were under attack, diverting the forces further.

As for Chirrut, he used the force I guess? And he does end up getting blown up seconds later.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    In a world where information about modern conflicts like the Vietnam and Afghan wars is readily accessible, I have difficulty understanding why this question would even be asked.

MS1, Ahsoka's Tano and Avnar like this.
  20. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    My only real complaint about the movie is that the first third of it was too choppy. It jumped about too much for me to care about any of it. I feel the movie doesn't really come together until Jyn sees the hologram of her father. From then on, it's a solid movie.

21. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    My only real complaint isn't about the movie itself, but what LF has said about the movie. It irritates me that they have tried to say that Chirrut has no force sensitivity. I don't buy it based on their movie so I don't understand their marketing technique here. Blind people can't hear crystals on a string around a neck. Blind people can't hear what a stranger's father used to say to her and then subtly reference it. Blind people can't hear a person's intent to kill based on tone inflection of the voice. I could go on. It feels to me like Edwards wanted Chirrut to be a less powerful force user than the Jedi we are accustomed to, and the SG didn't like that idea for some reason so they're vetoing it. I preferred Edwards' idea.

MS1, Ahsoka's Tano, EHT and 3 others like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Not to mention that the Rebels ARE overwhelmed in the end. Almost all of them are killed before the Death Star fires. It’s just that the diversion worked for long enough to allow Jyn and Cassian to transmit the plans.

MS1 likes this.
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It's kind of true though. In the Guardians of the Wills book, he's shown as not force sensitive. But, with time and meditation, he's able to attune himself to the force.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I believe Chirrut was a way for LF to expand on what the force is defined as throughout the SW universe. And to make it much more of a grey area than what we have come to know about it up until this point. Prior to Chirrut, it was simply black and white, someone is either force sensitive or not force sensitive. With Chirrut, we now have this character who wouldn't objectively be considered "force sensitive", but through his own training, practice, and meditation has achieved some ability to tap into the force. Characters like this were already hinted at in TFA with Maz Kanata's claim that she is no Jedi but she knows the force. And while she wasn't much expanded on in TLJ, I believe her character is similar to Chirrut in this regard. So now we have these two characters who go against what we as the audience have come to understand about the force. Which is their intent. Because remember, this is a brand new canon, not just in characters and plot points, but also in re-defining concepts and ideas throughout the SW universe. It's a totally blank slate for LF to do this, whether we like it or not. And I have no doubt that the force was likely a priniciple discussion in terms of how they want to move forward with it in universe. Which brought about these quasi force sensitive characters.

Personally, I like it this way. I like the idea of somebody being able to dedicate and train themselves in mastering the force. Versus people either having this objective ability to use the force, while others simply do not and there's nothing they can do about it. In the old canon, I had always felt that there was too much significance placed on this sole group of individuals who are force sensitive. And that they were almost uppity about it in a way, that they and only they can be the true saviors and protectors against evil and the dark side. I even had this comedic idea of a force sensitive character who refuses to train in the force and is seen as an underachieving slacker Jedi, but because he is so insufferably the only hope for the galaxy and nobody else is, everyone has to rely on him. And that idea came about specifically because of this black and white definition of the force, that someone either is or is not sensitive to it. I know if I lived in the SW universe, and saw this group of people who acted like they are the end all be all of everything, I'd say **** those guys, they don't have anything I don't, I'm going to go be a Jedi too. And I'm really glad that somebody like Chirrut is basically that now and represents that ideal. And I say that regardless of his disability, that's a different conversation.

That said, I am not implying that anybody and everybody who attempts to master the force is going to be successful at it. It wouldn't be any different in this regard from any other kind of learned skill. Some are successful at it and can master it, while others falter. It should be a rare occurence that someone goes from not being sensitive to the force to obtaining a full mastery of it. I am not denying that. However, I do think it should be possible. And EARNED, especially, through years of hard work and dedication. This isn't just some 10 week course someone can take to be a Jedi, although that can bring about some comedy gold itself. But in all seriousness, I do look forward to the great number of possibilities for the kind of characters we are going to see. Especially those who achieve that mid level range of force use. Not quite a master, but obviously in tune with it and able to use it. And keep in mind, this goes both ways, light and dark. I can imagine various criminal and dark side elements also arising from those who attain knowledge and use of the force. Again, lot of grey area. And years from now, assuming characters like this come into fruition in one capacity or another, it will be Chirrut that we can all look back on and consider to be the one to have given us our initial understanding that these characters in fact do exist.

AhsokaSolo and Outsourced like this.
  25. LukeLives

LukeLives Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2018
    What really bugs me......when chewie busts in Luke's door and speaks..and Rey's translates..now come on! Luke can understand chewie! ....Can't he??