main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I liked a lot of the Star Wars stories DH published. But the books after NJO really lost me. I’ll take the new Disney stuff over those any day.

2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Do you mean the Legacy comic series which took place approximately 137 years after ANH, or are you saying you stopped reading DH Star Wars after 2003 (which is when NJO ended)?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry, I meant books as in novels. The LOTF and the books following the NJO are what I meant I do not care for and will take the new Disney stuff over.

The Legacy comics for the most part I enjoyed. And volume two with Ania Solo I thought had potential.

Vthuil and JediBatman like this.
  4. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I just saw that R. Lee Ermey has passed away. :( Mail Call was my favorite program on the History Channel when I was a teen. And I just remembered his small parts in The Frighteners and Se7en, both of which I rewatched constantly during those years too. R.I.P.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My favorite random role of his was in Saving Silverman- great wacky comedic performance and he bounced really well off Jack Black.

MercenaryAce, Kylun and Senpezeco like this.
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I rather enjoyed his rather random appearance in the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, narrating the elf-dwarf war.

Though what I remember most was how he was in interviews, more quiet and somber than his Sarge persona.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It’s a bother as SotJ, the next Crosscurrent novel(s) and Legacy II were something to get really hyped about in Legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Meh. I've talked about this before, but the title alone was a pretty big hype-countering device for SotJ.

Honestly, it really struck me when reading that post that this spun off of, that the only thing there that feels like a genuine, awful loss is Agent of the Empire. (And furthermore, if Dr Steve is correct, that not getting The Star Wars would have been pretty disappointing in its own right).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  9. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But monthly sales of issues are not the sole arbiter of a title's fate.

If that were so both of the Marvel books Ms Marvel and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl would have been axed long ago. They don't sell much on the issues, but they absolutely clean up in trade.

Marvel's attitude to trades is pretty damn weird at the best of times, but they don't ignore the market.

Nor does anyone other company.

I'd take a look at Brian Hibbs' columns, he does a lot of the data analysis on this, from a store owner perspective. Think CBR currently host them, he covers both trade sales and the direct market (monthlies).

11. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I'm aware, but we don't have the numbers to look at those sales as fans. I, a person not in the industry, can't make judgements on numbers I don't have.

Aaaanyway, the graduate students at my university just voted to strike. Now, on one hand, yay for them, they have a raw deal and are working to change that. On the other hand, I'm paying more then I can afford and racking up a ****load of debt to take these classes, and if the graduate students strike we don't have enough teachers to have said classes.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, but you should be able to see that, whether you have the data or not, monthly sales alone do not decide these matters in the clear-cut way you seem to be claiming, there are other factors also at work.

Seriously, go take a look at HIbbs' columns, they'll really help you on this - they're worth reading.

Here's a recent one:
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-a...at-bookscan-2017-and-this-time-its-certified/

This area is one huge mess, but Hibbs' columns are a good guide / summary to it all.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  14. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah... as a grad student whose union chapter has been floating the idea of striking, I’m just glad that I’m not teaching this quarter.

Sure, the whole point of striking is that it’s disruptive, but given that the price of higher education is already prohibitively expensive in the US, wouldn’t we ultimately be doing the most harm to an already-disadvantaged group? The circumstances here are vastly different from those of striking public school teachers, right? Hmm. I’m still mulling this over, myself.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I fished baby eels for a few seasons. It's an interesting industry.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

16. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

18. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Huh... TIL a new word.
    If I ever become a professional crossword puzzle writer, 'elver' will be one of my go-to filler words. For now, I will deploy it in Scrabble as often as possible.

Duck, I'd also like to know more if you're willing to share!

spicer, Senator Wan, Vthuil and 4 others like this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Well, I wouldn't be much of a Maritimer if I didn't have some fishing stories. And you asked for it....

Eels are born in the ocean and when they're really young they migrate upriver to a lake to mature. At this stage they're known as glass eels because they're eerily transparent and you can see organs inside and it's kinda fascinating and disgusting at the same time.

This is the magic time to catch them for live transport to Asia. They're not wanted once they start to get dark and used to freshwater.

So what we'd do is set up nets near the mouths of rivers to catch them. But we'd also go out at night (their big run time is night) with hip-waders, dip-nets and head-lamps to catch them as they came in with the tide. This meant for a weird work schedule as it would slowly move later and later with tide until you had one or two unfishable days when both high tides were during daylight hours and all you could do was check the nets.

While fishing we'd store the eels in these floating bags we had rigged up to keep them alive. The material allowed for water to flow through and keep them fresh without letting them wriggle through. They're wriggly little critters. At the end of the night we'd weigh them, load them into a tank on our trucks and transport them back to our holding facility where'd they'd be weighed again, held for a few days and then shipped out to the airport and to another airport and then another country. The weighing at the river is important because it's a highly regulated industry, strict quotas and few licences, and if some Fisheries Officers pull you over and your paperwork is not in order you will get in big trouble.

It was weird doing it solo in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception and a bear in the woods across the river. A guy I was fishing with on another river got stuck on a rock when the tide came in and had an angry otter doing laps around him, I just laughed cuz I'm kind of a jerk. Fisheries Officers and Mounties just emerge from the woods sometimes, even when everything goes well and it's pleasant you kinda wish it was a bear that came out of the woods instead.

I did it for two years. The second year was hard starting off because I was balancing fishing at night with classes during the day. But it was great to spend some time working outside, working with some cool people and doing something not a lot of people do. It helped that it paid right some good.

Edit: they're really tiny when we catch them, like an inch long. And we'll catch pounds of them on a good night. A few grams on other nights.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    starfish, MercenaryAce, Ghost and 8 others like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Also, don't eat eel, they are red-listed. At least in Europe, maybe it's different in USA

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    First I ever heard of eels being banned
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel#Use_by_humans

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe I was mistaken and they are not red listed but the up here it's a returning talking point that we are overfishing eels.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  23. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Apparently the new Ewok Hunt mode in Battlefront is downright survival horror from the stormtrooper perspective.

This amuses me greatly.

Also the ewoks use bags of whisties as flashbang grenades.

Of all the Star Wars things I expected to see in battlefront, whisties were not one of them

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    According to the link within that link, they're on the Greenpeace red list, for whatever that's worth.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I haven't played it yet. Ewoks already haunt my nightmares.

MercenaryAce likes this.