main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    And of course Starkiller was working under Vader the whole time so that means Vader is the true founder/mastermind of the Rebellion. The Emperor takes partial credit for it as well. "This Alliance we've unwittingly created will be our undoing..." The EU is truly something else. :D TFU is all sorts of wacky.
    And Sam Witwer voiced the Emperor, which means Sam was a principle in establishing the Alliance. See? it all goes back to Sam.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  2. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    And he holds the Star Wars belt. ;)

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If we see Kanan and Hera's kid again, I really hope he doesn't become a Jedi (or maybe he doesn't even have the Force but instead is just a skilled pilot/fighter. It would be an interesting dynamic if you had a non-Force kid of a great Jedi). But if he does become a Jedi, he's destined to either die at Ben's hand or be one of the (probably) crazies who left with him and let's not consign the kid to certain death after a minute of screen time. (and I'm not a fan of "oh but some of Luke's students survived!" possibility, Luke is the Last Jedi and then Rey is, that's the point)

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The whole point is that there's no Last Jedi because they're an ideal, I thought. The kid becomes a Jedi because the Force chose him. It's impossible to be destroyed.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    if you're talking about broomboy, he's a Force sensitive who was inspired by the legend of Luke Skywalker, but he is no Jedi. the lineage goes Luke and a dozen students, Ben kills everybody and a handful of people run off with him (that a pretty big indication they are not Jedi anymore), just Luke again, Luke makes Rey a Jedi ("And I will not be the last Jedi" - Rey lifting rocks), for about a minute or so there's 2 Jedi (Luke and Rey), then only Rey.

But, yah, making Kanan and Hera's kid a Jedi means they are going to be quite dead or possibly quite evil and crazy. Poor kid, lets not do that.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, that was my first thought the second I saw him. He's exactly the right age to run into Kylo -- he's older by a few years granted, but not by much.

Which is another reason why naming him Jacen makes no sense. Is he going to be some type of foil for Kylo? Maybe holding true to the original pre-Dark Nest Jacen's morals? Granted they don't really *need* a reason and I know Filoni was just doing it for kicks, but like a lot of things in TCW/Rebels, they often preferred to make things look/sound cool at the expense of the plot. I'm not asking for Charles Dickens-level storytelling here, but if you're going to use a homage, be aware it carries expectations and baggage.

The other possibility, of course, is if he's one of Kylo's "crazies"....which admittedly, I've started to grow rather fond of that idea since it's the more unexpected route, and would cause all kinds of moral mayhem for Ahsoka and Ezra...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That'd be really interesting if he was, like, buds with Ben and was totally cool with the evil thing, so we can get Jacen going to the dark side (again, there's a bit of truth in Legends). Like I'm sure someday, somewhere, in some medium we're going to get Ben and Luke Jedi academy years story so Ben does need a character to talk to. But basically putting Jacen on the Jedi path doesn't really lend itself to happy endings. And Jacen for Hera and Kanan is their happy ending, maybe we will never see him again and he'll be the happy ending epilogue kid, which is what he was intended to be. But us Star Wars fans are always jumping to big picture decades spanning stuff so basically it's like "Yeah but that kid's gonna die or turn evil if he's truly 'his father's son' cuz that means Jedi and that means dead or evil". so maybe random 3 shot happy epilogue kid we never see again is for the best.

Voltron64 and kalzeth like this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As I think I said at the time, if there was ever a time where "Jacen Syndulla" actually made sense as a shout-out (and I'm not sure there was), it ended when they didn't give him a twin sister. So I'm honestly fine with them either using or not using anything about Jacen Solo in relation to him, including Force sensitivity.

9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Or it's just a name, and the only thing Syndulla has (or even needs to have) in common with Solo is that they're Force-sensitives born to important parents. He doesn't have to follow the same trajectory; doesn't even have to become a Jedi, in the same way Leia didn't to still be doing her thing in the era of "the last Jedi".

10. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think if the name Jacen is to hold any meaning beyond a shout-out, (which...who knows, could really go either way at this point) then they're probably at least considering doing their own take on a couple of Legends storylines. That said, I doubt we'd be looking at a Caedus scenario when Ben Solo has kind of covered that concept already.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Jacen Syndulla for the 2nd in command of the Knights or Ren! It's all going to lead up to that, we all know it! Okay, maybe not but I wouldn't mind.

12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I see Jacen as non-Force sensitive though acts a bit like his father Kanan/Caleb does. I would love to see him as a Resistance pilot or something (maybe an appearance in Ep9 *hint hint*)

vncredleader and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    A bunch of side characters who are the The show runners OC’s who are shown to be far superior to be the original cast in every way.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    TFU was one of the best portrayals and Vouce acting of Vader outside the OT in Jmo.
    The way he says “He’s dead then” at the end with that sadness was great.

BobaMatt likes this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Expect not since they mostly end up dead or accomplishing a fragment of what the OC does.

Also, if they were more awesome, isn't that a complaint about how canon has used the OC?

Legends had Luke, Han, and Leia kicking ass and taking names left and right--which is how it should be.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Yes, how dare Filoni create a show with original characters and then have the temerity to make the show about them. The unmitigated nerve of it all.

:rolleyes:

Slater, ShiroxCloud, Vthuil and 7 others like this.
  17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    [face_dunno]
    How can you say they mostly end up dead when with the exception of Kanan they all survive, including Ahsoka ???

They do all the OT Characters do and more. Whether it’s taking down AT AT Walkers/beating lots of Boba fetts or blowing up Star Destroyers or out witting Darth Vader and resisting Palpatines lures and blowing up Imperial bases. In fact they were so successful, the Empire stays the hell away from Lothal forever more.
    Are those characters really that original. They pretty much used Aladdin in space as the main character, so much so they even used Aladdin’s parents for Ezra’s parents [face_dunno]

While every other sentence they used an OT line or moment and put it in.

Vialco likes this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Ahsoka isn't one of the Rebels. She's just sort of a side character that won't leave. As for everyone ending up dead, their supporting cast had a huge body count including at least one suicide run.

Constant pathetic loss after loss.

Mandalore, the destruction of their home base, their "victory" at Lothal being due to Pryce's ambitions, and constantly on retreat. The ending of the show was thankfully a reversal but just barely.

I read and watch Star Wars to enjoy good triumphing over evil and heroic adventures.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I know, right? It's almost like he was trying to make a... a parallel of some sort. But that can't be it, of course it has to be just an unoriginal ripoff because obviously Filoni and the writers are incompetent.
    Yeah, I mean, it's a Star Wars show, what kind of writer would dream of adding OT references of all things? There's just no place for that sort of thing.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Unless Ezra teaches him.

Or Ahsoka.

Because, again, I'm against any and all attempts to limit the Jedi's numbers due to Yoda's words.

revan772 and Voltron64 like this.
  21. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Question: are you also against any and all attempts to limit the Jedi’s numbers due to what Luke says in TLJ?

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    There are no Jedi. Ahsoka was expelled from the Jedi Order while still a Padawan. Ezra was a Padawan whose Master was incapable of completing his training. Neither of them qualifies as a full Jedi Knight. Luke is the only heir to the Jedi tradition and we know that for decades after ROTJ he didn't train anyone.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It doesn't matter if there are Jedi or not. What matters is that there a lightside Force-users. It's nice to have a direct link to the history of the galaxy's most prominent Force-using lightsiders of the past, but not necessary. Rey, and any future students, might call themselves Jedi or they might not. They might follow the teachings in the ancient Jedi books, or they might read through them, decide they're outdated, and put them in a museum. It doesn't really matter.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Voltron64 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Last Jedi is by far my least favorite of all Star Wars media. Note: I include Legacy of the Force.

Primarily for its treatment of Luke.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They could call them the Skywalker Knights or Sky Knights and they'd be a cool.

Ghost, revan772 and Voltron64 like this.