main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Padmé YA novel CONFIRMED (Queen’s Shadow by EK Johnston)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 13, 2017.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    @Lady_Skywalker87

I do dig the micro-series representation of A&P, it's my favorite version, the only time I've ever liked them.

[​IMG]

Just that one picture was worth more than a thousand of Stover's words.

Genndy seemed to get their relationship, Anakin, and Star Wars in general. Or, at least, Genndy's vision and mine seemed to line up pretty well.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

No one's that good.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The microseries had very little dialogue so it allowed the viewer to take the visuals (which were some's cup of tea and some not so much) and fill in the rest with their own imagination. Things can often seem really good when you have the ability to see the story the way you want to see it.

The image you just linked to was just about a five second shot where Anakin was simply going off to a mission and him and Padme were just waving goodbye. Something extremely vague but at the same time it allowed people to use a lot of their own imagination.

RaptorMusic and Jedi Princess like this.
  4. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    George R.R.Martin...;)
    In fact, that's my Geek dream...Sana's arc in A Song of Ice and Fire, not the show, depicts `just how hard it is to be a true Lady..just as much as Ellen does with her not quite fitting Victorian upper class NY in The Age of Innocence.

And THIS is what Padmè's character essentially IS...a True Lady in the twilight of civilization as she knows it.
    But because she's The Warrior Princess's mother ..No, she can't be THAT! Let's give that to Kenobi's love interest.. :mad:

in order for it to work though TCW would have to be re written ...[face_devil]

100% in agreement! and people dare to tell me TCW has oh so much development..its like he watched the PT and completely understood what Lucas was aiming for, then again,Genndy is great visual story teller as well.
    I'll go back to this point...but do you see why it woks for me or starting to?

True, but for the longest time in our history it was and there was power to be had within that...but my point was that there are still places in the world that take not having a family as something to be worried about.

You know, I made a similar comment when my Woman Studies class touched upon The Cult of Domesticity back in high school and my aid told me a that there was nothing wrong with being a housewife if one was truly appreciate it for it. I begun to look upon all things more
    objectively after that.

I believe you mean 20th century like Leia? Because represents Padmè19th century women just fine.;)
    Padmè going to Mustafar was her "I have to try " moment nothing more..and by the time she gets there's part of her that knows everything she wanted personally is lost. Also she knew her death was imminent.

Had she been primarily worried about Anakin she would have broke her vow of silence to Mon in a smart way..she chose not to.

@Onderon1 Nice Post! I don't totally agree though.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

TCW did have a lot more development than the microseries did. Genndy's style of storytelling allowed for people to create their own development. If you watch the microseries and pay close attention to the dialogue you'd realize that the dialogue that it does have in it is pretty poor. Genndy is a good visual storyteller but some people need more than just the visuals and TCW brought that to the table.​

RaptorMusic likes this.
  6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I prefer Tartakofskys Clone Wars over the Dave Filoni Clone Wars any day. Gendy is the genius who resurrected his old creation (Samurai Jack) and made it even more awesome- if that's even possible. Tartakoskys Clone Wars, despite having Force users a little overpowered meshed very well with the movies, and I find Filoni's interpretation to be sometimes an awkward fit. Also I loved the fact that each "episode" was so short. It made all the moments significant instead of dragging it out like the Filoni Baloney. The Clone Wars was less than 3 years in length (adjusted for temporal gravity), and Filoni's 6 seasons seemed to take place over the course of lets say an arbitrary number; 5 years. Also all the Anakin-Dooku encounters still make my blood boil. In the old Clone Wars, it was better. Dooku hadn't faced the "power has doubled since the last time we met, Count" Anakin and it was such a great evolution and growth of Anakin's abilities. In Disney canon, he fights Dooku 6 times in total and the last one in Dark Disciple has to be roughly 6 months before ROTS.

7. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    @jamminjedi23 Since Lucas is visual story teller too it worked for me just fine.

If the undermining of the PT in TCW worked as great story telling for people than great! But I wanted better from someone who worked on Avatar: TLAB.
    In fact, when TCW did work for me it was NOT Saga focused.

Its 3..slightly 4 years exactly, as Anakin lives 23 years as Vader..I agree with you btw.

spicer likes this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    My headcanon for the Clone Wars includes the microseries.

It goes:
    22 BBY
    - 13:5:16 - 13:5:30: Events of "Attack of the Clones" (including the wedding taking place a week after Geonosis).
    - 13:8:1 - 13:8:10: Clone Wars microseries (Chapter 1-21) take place as per screen (Ventress recruited into the Separatists here).
    - 13:9:1 - 15:5:31: Events of the Clone Wars series, accounting for a time skip between "Hunt for Ziro" and "Heroes on Both Sides" (c. 6 months).
    - 15:6:1 - 15:12:31: Events of Clone Wars Legacy, Dark Disciple and Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir.
    - 16:1:1 - 16:5:20: Events of Clone Wars microseries (Chapter 22-25, though the Nelvaan arc takes place just before Siege of Mandalore and the Battle of Coruscant occurs separately to the Anakin & Obi-Wan storyline) and the Siege of Mandalore occurs in the final month. By this time, Eeth Koth and Oppo Rancisis have perished, leaving the vacancies on the Council. Depa Billaba steps down from the Council permanently as well.
    - 16:5:20 - 16:5:30: Events of "Revenge of the Sith".

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This would make some sense to me, considering the difficulties of time and distance in their relationship...and perhaps even her place in the movies, ie almost unmentioned in the OT and presumed separation from Darth Vader via Leia's memories.

...but where did this idea of a True Lady come from? Is it there in TPM and the beginning of AOTC? Not that I noticed.

In TPM...Padme actually was a Warrior Queen. She goes back to her planet to fight a war. Do True Ladies pick up a blaster and use violence?

What happened to Padme the Queen Mother of Naboo? She doesn't want to leave her people, her place is there. She comes back and gets on her knees and begs the Gungans for help.

So what is the true characterization here? In TPM she's at least part Warrior Queen, at the beginning of AOTC she's some sort of political champion...and then it just disappears...and suddenly she's a True Lady?

Even in ROTS, she's such a sobbing, hysterical mess...is that a True Lady? Maybe I couldn't see it under a face full of snot and tears. I guess by the end ROTS, she doesn't care about the people of Naboo anymore, or the children inside her. This character that defines herself as the mother of Anakin Skywalker's unborn children...gives up and dies only moments after they were born.

Maybe? I don't know.

The point of my comments in this thread has been that she is poorly developed and ill-defined...I don't know who Padme is. Saying her relationship with Anakin redefines the way she sees herself and her life...is like trying dead reckoning without knowing a previously determined position (her character prior to Anakin)...and it says nothing about the destination, or how she got there. It's all very vague.

Apparently Stover's answer was that she was someone's wife. Not exactly a great definition. It's not an acceptable answer for me, though I think it does provide clarity if you just give up and accept that ultimately she is not an independent character in her own right.

Again, it reads like an encyclopedia entry for someone not important enough to have their own.

Padme Amidala: See: Anakin Skywalker.

My comments in this thread have called for the development Padme as a character, and you've helped a lot with that...but you don't work for LFL.

I do feel like Stover was writing on rails quite a lot because he had to stick to the ROTS script. There was only so much he could do. And, honestly, ROTS is not Padme's story, it's Anakin's story. Plus Padme was competing for time with Kenobi, Yoda, Mace, Palpatine, etc.

Maybe Padme could still use a novel in between AOTC and ROTS...but then she's defined by a husband she won't see because he's away fighting the war. Maybe someone could write Army Wives (a show I've never seen, but heard of) in Star Wars? It might be hard to do that when the children aren't born yet, and Padme actually has another role to play as Senator.

I'm more interested in who Padme was in between TPM and AOTC, before she ran into Anakin again. I'm more interested in Padme as something other than wife and mother. At least then we would know more of who she was before she became defined by someone else.

For laughs, I'll quote Leia and Teneniel from COPL:

If it makes a person feel better, they can make an argument that there's power to be had in anything, as Isolder did above. Padme's entire existence became defined by and dependent upon someone else, to the point that his betrayal caused her to lose the will to live and die. It seems more like Padme needlessly surrendered all her power to Anakin.

10. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I wish that were so (sad Qui-Gon face)

11. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I'd like this...

12. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    No need, because it was explained right in the movie why she was understandably emotional.

There was a devastating war going on, she was heavily pregnant woman, her husband told her that he has a dream about her dying the same one he had about his mother (who you know, end up dead), she lost the republic she spent her life serving and her husband who she didn't love him any less than he loved her. How dare she become emotional and not running around with a blaster to show how badass she is? A person dare to get emotional after all of these? Weak and illogical!!

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  13. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    There were plenty of characters (all men) in the film going through much the same thing and they weren't struck into inaction and hysterics. Just sayin'.

Blaming it all on womanly hormones sure is convenient though lol

14. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    How about the fact that she is responsible for what happened as much as anyone?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. Anslyder

Mar 8, 2018
    Anakin says hey. The most emotional person in the whole saga and wait for it! He is a male.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin’s irrationality was terrible as well but he definitely was not “struck into inaction.”

And yeah, blaming Padme’s pregnancy for her behavior is ridiculous. My personality did not change during pregnancy, nor do the personalities of most women. And we’re talking about a woman who, at age 14, did “run around with a blaster showing how badass she is” when her entire planet was taken hostage. No reason why she should have lost that great aspect of herself.

And no, she was not responsible for what happened, the entire Senate bought into Palpatine’s bull.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Anslyder

Mar 8, 2018
    Padme's pregnancy is one of the reasons, not the sole or main one. I never claimed that it was.

The user claimed that only female was hysterical in the movie (she wasn't) while the males handle it well which isn't true at all. Anakin freaking lost it and break down under the pressure more than any character in the movie.

When Anakin told her about the dreams, her main concern was her child and she still comforted Anakin despite being told she is going to die. Padme hold it together pretty well until the very end when everything fell apart. She wasn't useless nor illogical, she was a human.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Is this book still going forward? Has there been any updates?

Re: Padme acting emotional

I don’t really cared if Padme was acting emotional in ROTS or not because I think the amount of tragic events happening in that movie were enough to mess up with any individual. What I do care is if there is more to the BS statement that she lost the will to live after she just gave birth to two babies. Would really love if there was someone more substantial added to that. Maybe the droids were incompetent and didn’t understand her internal injuries. Maybe Palpatine was doing something to her behind the scenes. I don’t know. I don’t really care what the explanation is, I just want it not to be “she merely lost her will to live”.

19. Anslyder

Mar 8, 2018
    My best friend's mother died years ago and there was no medical explanation for her death. She was healthy, not elderly and her heart just stopped beating one day.

I don't understand why it's such outrageous notion that Padme died without there being a medical explanation for it or why some act like Padme killed herself to avoid raising her children.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  20. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    By no means, I’m not trying to imply that can’t happen. It also happened to my paternal grandfather, who was a very healthy and active individual, and one day he went to bed and never woke up. It was unexpected and shocking to the family and the autopsy report couldn’t find an explanation. I know that it can happen to healthy and strong individuals, sometimes the heart just stops.

But the reason why I brought this up is because of the way ROTS presented Padme’s death. A droid said she just idk, lost the will to live and that kinda irritates me, which is why I would love something in the EU to challenge that explanation, or at least not make it look like the reason why Padme died was because she "lost the will to live". If the droids didn’t say anything about that, or only said something like “sometimes the heart just stops” I would have zero issues with that. What I do have issues with is the “explanation” provided in ROTS, and I wished a book said something different about it.

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Is this book still happening or has it been cancelled? Maybe moved?

22. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Hopefully moved. It was originally tagged to come out around April but it’s the end of April and not a peep. Maybe 2019?

23. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    She was the spark that lit the Rebellion, Lucas did this in deleted scenes, and I believe Stover included some of it in the novel. A bit harsh on both.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Including the deleted Rebellion scenes would have definitely helped her character in the movie, although they still would not have salvaged the “lost the will to live” element. They helped some in the novel, with Padme actually leading a coalition that confronted Palpatine in his office with a petition of sorts.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    They entirely dropped the ball on Padme's Naboo connection with Palpatine. ROTS focused a lot on Anakin and Palpatine, but Padme's relationship is just as significant I would argue. She's even known him longer than Anakin. They're from the same planet and basically did the same thing for a living. For all we know, she was under his wing taking advice, just like Anakin.

If the plot focus had shifted just slightly, they could have made Palpatine try -- and fail -- to lure Padme on his side. Instead Palpatine and Padme sort of drift apart by ROTS, so it doesn't matter they share the same backstory. Even the political cut scenes (which I agree shouldn't have been cut) don't really emphasize that Naboo connection. It seems to be really important for TPM and even AOTC, but ROTS ignores it. And unfortunately, Padme's character becomes more 1-dimensional as a result. She's just along for the ride, whereas she was driving the other two films.