main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As to Kalgrath - even if he was created by Kun... if the Sith are summoning Oldspawn from the depths when they conjure Sithspawn, there would be similarities between them and other creatures such as the Alashan beast.

But I’m inclined to a single major Cosmic War circa 100,000 BBY before the Ones enter into their cycle with Abeloth. Which while devastating only includes one Old One/Evil Celestial.

Do we not have also Kopa Khan now to explain dark side pyramidal structures that pre-date the Sith Kingdom/Order, also? Alashan, Kabus-Dabeh, Zabba II? So the creature in Alashan may be an Oldspawn...

It’s also really curious how the Tribe figured out that they needed to become the Protectors (with the Jedi)... but then tripped against the first Old One/Destructor they met. Presumably Kesh was first devastated in the original Cosmic War as Abeloth has no knowledge of it...

... the Celestials may have actually taken Reo from the Old Ones with the assistance of the Killik Nest Thuruht.

The Kathol Gate was destroyed circa 4250 BBY (if the logic holds), but the Cthol also had regenerating super tech including Gates, so they definitely come across as Old One vassals - the original Kathol Rift was a Celestial constrict according to the Atlas: to seal them in?

The Hapes Cluster is also listed as a Celestial construct of sorts... so thats curious as there is not a direct link... Milinar includes a pyramid, and that’s within Hapan space...

Is it too large a reach to connect the Knell and Darkknell?

To assume that the Koornacht Cluster originally bound the Yevetha to N’Zoth, or, New Zoth, Zoth being the homeworld of Typhojem?

That the Stygian Caldera, Cloak of the Sith and other spatial anomalies became more porous as the millennia went by, and those species that had formerly served the Old Ones were thus released in the last ten millennia of the Old Republic?

Are we to take it that the Gree sided with the Old Gods in subsequent conflicts with the Kwa, what with their Gates being repurposed to allow through Lotekk?

Was the Dread Masters Phobos power from the Old Ones themselves, what with their campaign turning to release Old Ones? What of Darth Vitus of Oricon, who was millennia old in the Great Sith War era? Does the connection to the Phobos term make Darth Phobos, who opposed the Jedi and Sith, an Old One cultist?

Do we have a second Cosmic War only in 30,000 BBY, when Abeloth escapes anew and the Killiks are removed?

Did the Abrans drain their intellects like the Sharu as Old One allies - looking at the Darker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Wow, all that stuff is amazing. I wonder if the Marvel series was going to actually do something with all that had it continued longer. The Fourth Precept resemblance is uncanny, too.

The Unknown Regions also has a brief but oh-so-tantalizing mention that it wasn't just the war that drove the Taungs from Notron - there was also a period of massive, inexplicable volcano activity, with ash plumes kilometers long.

3. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Cosmic War just sounds the coolest and is also suitably "epic".Han's statement that "everybody knows that Seoul V was destroyed in a Cosmic War eons ago" can also be read as it being the in-Universe name, and that the event itself is something a lot of the Galactic population might have some vague, general notion of.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Hopefully it would still be possible to get in contact with somebody from the Marvel days and ask them more about the Cosmic War that all those stories mentioned. There might actually be old documents somewhere that could shed light on any plans they might have had. For now, all we can be sure of is that those mentions are not coincidental.

I had forgotten about that reference to volcanic activity from The Unknown Regions, but yeah, you're right- that must be "Onrai" up to her usual no good. It's unmistakable. This is when it was still called Notron, too, and that would also suggest that the statue on Seoul V would have to have been erected before the name Notron fell out of use. #84 goes a bit further into the Cosmic War backstory and indicates that while Seoul V's outpost worlds were all "slagged" and glassed, it was always just assumed that Seoul V also was. It wasn't- and it's cities were kept intact. Han even theorizes that a "germ warfare" attack was used. In light of all the newer Abeloth/Onrai/Notron hints, perhaps the destruction of Seoul V's outposts and the precise targeting of Seoul V itself were part of an ancient attempt to contain a previous Abeloth/Onrai outbreak.

Sinrebirth and Hamburger_Time like this.
  5. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Well, with Kalgrath having been retconned into a Kun creation, perhaps the knowledge Kun used to create him had older origins. Who knows how old some of what he learned from the Sith Holocron (which contained histories going back over 100,000 years) and whatever he pillaged from Ossus really was.

Same here, though how Abeloth fits in to that one from 100,000 BBY, particularly in light of the hint from The Unknown Regions of inexplicable volcanic activity on Notron circa 200,000 BBY all but confirming that she was active during an earlier cycle.

That could explain the very similar Dark Side pyramids seen in TotJ and the similar one from Dromund Kaas. And the Alashan structures are interesting in another way, as the end of the story has multiple evil voices laughing at the end- which would seem to imply that whoever created Forever and its Guardian were still there in some form...

Other than distance, nothing serves to rule out any connection between the Knell of Muspilli and Darkknell. And we know that distance is meaningless when dealing with these ancients.

I was just re-reading this one to see if there was anything that fits in with the other Cosmic War references from Marvel. The Darker and the ancient buried city on Arbra are a fifth Marvel reference to some long-vanished ancient civilization, but one that isn't as closely linked as the others mentioned above. No Cosmic War connection, and the city has decayed in a way the other civilizations never did. They still fled the planet, though, as did the "Massassi" inhabitants and those from Keeper's World. What struck me was that the original inhabitants of Keeper's World are described as nonviolent- and it made me wonder if they were one and the same as the former inhabitants of Arbra! The Arbrans could have perfected themselves and moved to Keeper's World (which is very much like Arbra), only to have to leave that world in turn when the War threatened it. The text says that they fled to another part of the Universe- indicating that they actually left the Galaxy itself and went to another.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    So if I have this right...

* Onrai was the original goddess of the Zhell.
    * Onrai is implied to be Abeloth.
    * The Zhell fought the Taungs.
    * The Taungs were driven from Notron by massive volcanic activity (could this be what the Fourth Precept panel depicts?).
    * Abeloth is associated with volcanoes.

So it definitely seems like that Abeloth took the initiative to drive the Taungs away from her worshippers. This also implies she's much older than we thought she was, unless that's just an error.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  7. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Flawless analysis!=D=
    And yeah, it would indeed seem that Abeloth/Onrai was active circa 200,000 BBY- another earlier cycle of destruction.
    Good to hear that I'm not the only one who saw what the panel from 4th Precept seems to actually depict, or at the very least can be interpreted as depicting. Volcanic activity and propulsion-based ships fleeing what sure looks like a slightly less developed Coruscant can very easily be explained by all this. :)

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish they hired Bongiorno to write FOTJ instead of Denning.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I wonder how the Rakatan Mother entity would fit in. Was she created in response, or was her development a separate issue?

10. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    And you know I just remembered another super-ancient creepy thing from the old Marvel series: the Shawken Device from #87. A superweapon-to-end-all-superweapons that was supposedly capable of collapsing the entire universe and remaking it from scratch. It's said that its designer for some reason saw this as a comparative mercy, and that the new universe would likely be far better. Mercy from... what, exactly?

CernStormrunner likes this.
  11. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I think the creator was just mad.

Nom von Anor and Landb like this.
  12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    So, how do you all think the so called "World Razer." imprisoned on Belsavis fits into this. If what the Rakatan writings left behind are true, (That it took the entire might of the infinite empire to subdue, it was the first prisoner entombed on Belsavis, could devour worlds, potential galaxy dooming consequences of it release.), there are definitely interesting implications.

13. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Zeta Magnus appears to have ties with the Sorcerers of Rhand, Wookieepedia saying this: "Traveling the Unknown Regions, Magnus interacted with a schizophrenic bio-ship, the Vagaari, N'Gai, and Ebruchi species, as well as the Chiss Ascendancy and the Ssi-ruuvi Imperium before establishing a kingdom of Dark Worlds which would come to be blessed by the Sorcerers of Rhand." The Sorcerers were formed by three sects including the Knell of Muspilli who apparently seek to summon "apocalyptic deities from beyond shadow" and I think have already been mentioned in this thread.

Zeta Magnus is planned as a major villain in my campaign as the "architect of the Clone Wars". These Clone Wars are not the canonical ones, but will be more similar to pre-Prequel Trilogy conceptions of the Clone Wars.

14. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    There's also the Cthulhu-like being the Dreadmasters were attempting to summon - Lotek'k, Terror from Beyond!

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    We also know that the Zhell became humans. Maybe Abeloth created humans because she figured that a species with free will would create chaos? Abeloth could be the Prometheus of the GFFA.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    mnjedi and Hamburger_Time like this.
  16. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    On the age of these beings, one line in Cult Encounters insinuates that the Celestials and Old Ones appeared in the Galaxy as it was still forming. This would of course make them billions of years old, and even 100,000 is a drop in the bucket next to that. So 99.99% of the Galaxy's history went by before they went to war...

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The 200,000/100,000 BBY crossover with the Taung/Zhell conflict is oddly unclear. It recalls the million year old Centerpoint, retconned into the hundred thousand one.

I assume Abeloth completely upset the balance when she became a Celestial. Selfishly destroying the Old One realm so that she could rule alone - only for the Ones to turn on her. She’s the aberration to the trinity of trinities.

If I was postulating, I’d say that she was Typhojem’s daughter and had no desire to be the lowest of the rung, instead she wanted to become more powerful than any of them, thus her infiltration of the realm of the Ones. It fits her personality to be fair

Obtaining her new found power she heads to Coruscant and lays waste to the Old One capital. Perhaps.

18. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Actually... the Galactic Architecture article on the official blog detailing Centerpoint's history says that the Son and Daughter of Mortis were already known by those names as Centerpoint was being constructed. So I guess the Abeloth dates aren't that much of an inconsistency at all?

SheaHublin likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Do we know for sure that the Abeloth backstory given in FOTJ: Apocalypse is accurate? Might Abeloth actually be the creator of
    the Font of Power and Pool of Knowledge?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The Killiks' memories have been known to be less than completely accurate, so it's possible that they may have given their own spin on things re: Abeloth, even unintentionally.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Ooh, found another possible Abeloth guise in another RPG fluff book. The Legacy Era Campaign Guide mentions Vahl, a "goddess of destructive fire" worshipped by the Dark Side cult called the Ember of Vahl, who appears as a woman with eyes burning like brimstone.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That’s a definite for me.

23. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Thinking about it, I reckon 100,000 BBY was actually in all likelihood the end of the Cosmic War. The retreats of the Columi and Sharu, the Muurshantre Extinction wiping out the Gunninga Gap cultists, the binding of Abeloth... these don't really sound like things that would happen at the beginning of a conflict to me.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Definitely with you on this. Also, if the Abeloth backstory given in FOTJ: Apocalypse is accurate (as I said above, I have my doubts), Abeloth would be among the youngest Old Ones.

Also interesting is all the references to the Sith species and 100,000 years...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    SheaHublin and Hamburger_Time like this.
  25. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Also interesting to explore would be which side the Son chose in the Cosmic War, as he's not an Old One but an evil Celestial.

SheaHublin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.