main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, plausible and probably the route they'll go, still doesn't feel particularly satisfying to me but given the total disinterest in the politics in TFA I suspect the audience won't care much where the fleet came from.

2. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    This is why I say that those who are working on Star Wars should be following along as well, to avoid contradicting something else in canon.

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm sorry if my comment caused offense. Your previous posts read to me as if you were claiming that the story content of TLJ itself - that well-trod list of "controversies" and "schism points" - somehow caused a failure of "cohesive storytelling." I understand now you meant the film making process of the ST itself, which honestly I also don't agree with but it's a far more rational opinion than what I thought you were trying to say.

Vthuil likes this.
  4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Is the past 2-5 pages really necessary for a board about one upcoming book?

I don't see it as relevant.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the post TPF:

Yes, that's pretty much it, in a wider sense. Like it or not, the ST is the lead for the new material, where it goes the rest follows.

(As you might have gathered, I'm pretty bored talking TLJ, I don't have anything left to say - I see it one way, others see it different - I'm fine with that.)

Were it not for Rogue One, this would be far less of an issue, they would have their consistent MO, I'd disagree with it and that's that. But that film, only a year ago, shows such a startling difference of MO it's baffling.

At the same time what drew me back to giving the new material a chance, much of which I still enjoy, was this idea of a big story across multimedia. The strange thing is that it is the very aspects they want to play down - the PT and Clone Wars - that actually make the overall arc work. (But it also requires destroying Luke, Han and Leia which remains severely problematic for me.) What if we could have had more substantive lead-ins to TLJ? Or an immediate continuation post-film? If they had had a sense of where they were going that would have been possible.

(Arguably more than possible, some of the recent comic examples show how good that'd be on a much grander scale. But, in their favour, the comics have a set structure to work with in the form of the six films.)

Xander Vos and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  6. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    I CAN'T WAIT!

7. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Me neither.
    I have the eBook on pre-order and am hopeful that my local bookstore accidentally puts the book out a couple of days early... Like last time. That was such a sweet surprise to see it on the shelves (and on a Saturday, too!).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

8. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I am very excited too because this is a brand new concept. Thrawn never worked closely with Vader in any of the Legends stories (as far as I'm aware), so its new territory. Zahn has produced many good Star Wars novels; even though I thought his canon Thrawn book wasn't too good. That being said, lets hope Alliances is better than Lords of the Sith (which also explored unknown territory; Vader and Palpatine fighting together as master and apprentice)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    ObiWanKnowsMe and kalzeth like this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Vader and Thrawn collaborated on the downfall of Zekka Thyne, the ambush at Derra IV and the downfall of Nuso Esva. So they have worked together in previous works.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I hope Vader isn't reduced to a lumbering brute attacking Mara Jade in a rage, and googling Luke Skywalker on the holonet without wiping his search history. :(

Thrawn: Lord Vader, although I do not have the Force, I can still advise on the most efficient manner of its use. If you are ever, hypothetically, in a hallway full of shooting Rebels attempting to escape with a valuable item, do not focus merely on killing the Rebels. Force pull all of the weapons out of their hands, and then Force pull the valuable item to your hand. I foresee that you may need this advice in the future; in fact the fate of the entire Empire may rest on it.

Vader: The Sith do not take "advice" from those who do not use the Force.

Thrawn: [face_sigh]. I strongly urge you to consider it.

Jeff_Ferguson, PCCViking and Daneira like this.
  11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Ah[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

sidv88 likes this.
  12. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    It will come from the opening crawl:

Hope lives! Inspired by General Leia
    Organa's RESISTANCE, the remnants
    of the NEW REBUPLIC have rallied to
    her cause against the evil FIRST ORDER.

Etc...

vncredleader, Jedi Ben and Darth_Duck like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Or....

Inspired by the death of General Leia.

They've no good cards to play on this one, but I'm not that sympathetic.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    How is this relevant to Thrawn: Alliances?

Will be interesting to see if they decide to add dates in or reference Clone Wars material and perhaps backdate that.

15. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Since the novel is going to be set on Batuu and they've established that it has a big history with smugglers and scoundrels, I wonder if this is the chance for Zahn to pull the trigger on Karrde returning.

16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Perhaps we'll also see a sharp-witted female associate of his return as well....

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Shada D'ukal? :p

18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    If not Karrde perhaps one of his other fringe folk like Mazzic, Niles Ferrier or Samual Tomas Gillespee.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah, all of the above.

20. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Can we talk about how much fun it is to say Samuel Tomas Gillespee and how if your name was Samuel Tomas Gillespee you would totally introduce yourself to people as Samuel Tomas Gillespee and would hope that that is how people would always refer to you as, like, "Karen, have you met my neighbour Samuel Tomas Gillespee?" or "I didn't expect to run into you at the gym Samuel Tomas Gillespee." or "Samuel Tomas Gillespee you are under arrest for public intoxication."

Or am I alone in this?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You were alone, but after that sales pitch I'm giving serious thought to a legal name change. How awesome would it be to drive around with a "SMLTGLSP" vanity license plate? The answer is: very.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Remember the rule of off-topic tangents:

Either they veer briefly away from the main topic before lack of interest and topic gravity brings it back on track or the same process has a Mod-nudge.

23. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I could not hit the "like" button on this tweet fast enough.

I miss Karrde SO MUCH.

24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I'm surprised he hasn't been brought back sooner. He doesn't really hurt canon in any big way and he opens the door to a lot of potential stories.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which might be the problem.