main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They aren't interested in characters that open the doors to potential stories (or even movies). The following characters have hit the execution block so far in new canon, one who was even a major character in the X-Wing subfranchise of the EU (so they don't even care about resurrecting that):

Hobbie
    Ventress
    Panaka

2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016

This very book is a refutation of that.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    But over in the Solo thread, you just said this:
    By that logic, Panaka, Ventress, and Hobbie are fine - can't they always just be whisked away to the WBW if and when the creators wish to exploit their storytelling potential?

EDIT: On further reflection, it occurs to me that in a franchise like Star Wars, death doesn't diminish a character's "storytelling potential" one iota anyway. We're a month away from seeing a film about a character who died three movies ago. Vader's on his second ongoing comic series. Death is irrelevant to a character's story potential when it's possible to simply go back and tell stories that happened before they died.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Well, yes I suppose time travel could save all of them... ventress had a body through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    It does reduce my level of interest in a character's story if I know how it ends.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    How many appearances have we had of Obi-Wan, a character who died in the first Star Wars thing ever released?

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    A fair argument could be made that, subconsciously, many were impatient with the prequels because they already knew how it ended... I honestly find many of the Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, Age of Ultron, Avengers) much worse than the prequels, but people rave about the Marvel films like Avengers (which had the exact same Chitauri shutdown after a ship destruction like TPM did, minus TPM's logic) and treat the prequels like the worse thing ever.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    fett 4, kalzeth and Xander Vos like this.
  8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    In a franchise where Darth Maul came back to life after TPM (I mean seriously guys . . .) do you even need a sensible explanation like WBW? If you want to bring someone back then just do it and who cares if it makes sense. It can't be worse than Spider Legs + Kept Alive By Dark Side Hatred

Probably because the relative quality of the 2 films isn't based solely on that 1 plot line

kalzeth likes this.
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I didn't say it was. I find TPM much more enjoyable than Avengers as a whole honestly. Jar Jar doesn't seem so bad next to cringy Whedon jokes...

Daneira, Rennzwerg and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  10. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    That's cool. There's nothing wrong with having a minority opinion. I have them all the time.

11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Have you ever seen the Movie Day of the Jackal ?
    It’s about an Assassin hired to kill the French President Charles DeGaulle. Now we know how it ends ie he fails but the build up and tension is still really great. While the Jackal As the main character (we don’t even know his real name) despite being a cold ruthless murderer is still a compelling person to watch. That’s a long winded way of saying that type of movie is possible.

kalzeth and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels the same about the Avengers movie. A rather boring CGI fest that seemed to miss B in a ABC plot. Yet TPM gets ripped apart while that gets praised.

Rennzwerg and sidv88 like this.
  13. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    There's a difference between being interested in a movie despite knowing how the story ends - because it's about the journey (e.g. ROTS) - but when you put characters in dangerous situations despite knowing when and where they die (e.g. Han in Solo knowing what we know) there is zero tension.

kalzeth and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Don’t get me started on Solo it’s a movie that should not have been made.

What you say is/was the big issue I had with the Rebels show. There was no tension in it.

kalzeth and Xander Vos like this.
  15. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah agreed. Even when people thought characters might be killed off, they never were. And then the one time it did happen it was telegraphed.

kalzeth and fett 4 like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I was thinking of something a bit different - in that, so far, the new material has veered towards a very tidy continuity - R1? They all die so that avoids the Q of where was so-and-so?

Bring in a character like Karrde and it becomes more ludicrous that Starkiller Base was kept totally secret, as someone like Karrde would have heard some whisper of it, right?

Now, personally, I'd be quite happy for the new continuity to be a bit less tidy!

kalzeth likes this.
  17. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I don’t think that’s why the characters in Rogue One died. They died because they wanted to show that stealing the Death Star plans was basically a suicide mission.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  18. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm going to stop following this thread. You aren't discussing Thrawn: Alliances so its clear it has been hijacked. Later.

19. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Uhh, huh?

Look at the title of this thread. In a couple of months we're going to be reading a book featuring Grand Admiral Thrawn. That very character and his continued existence in the franchise kind of goes against what you're saying.

Hell, look at Dave Filoni's comments on why he brought back Captain Pellaeon; he said he included it purely so that the character could be in play and picked up for future stories by himself and other creatives. Doesn't seem that they're opposed to bringing in characters and concepts that aren't "tidy".

Darth_Duck and Vthuil like this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Karrde doesn't give info away for free though, and I doubt the NR would have paid his prices.

Karrde's probably one of the Canto Bight crowd profiting from the war...

21. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    IF they brought Karrde back he would definitely not be 100% like the Legends version. He would be recognisable but it is by no means certain that all his traits / history make it to new canon. Similar to Thrawn, the main frame is the same but some stuff just no longer applies.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Revanfan1, kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Would he? Because he's... a smuggler? And why would that equate to the secret getting out? Karrde knows the value of information as leverage. Terex knows about Starkiller too, even though he isn't supposed to, and uses that knowledge as a boast of his abilities to Phasma, but he doesn't go revealing it willy-nilly.

23. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    You mean that book that hasn't come out yet?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yay, back to doing pointless fun stuff! (Don't misread that, after the last 48 hours, this is exactly what I need!)

For all that I would love the Further Adventures of Chirrut and Baze, yeah - R1's take does work for me.

The case where I'm certain I saw posts to the effect of 'she had to die so she wouldn't put up later' were with regard to Heir to the Jedi's Nakari.

True, it is evidence of change and I hope it continues. My comment was based more on their past record of way back when. Seems to be they are far warier around OT-ST transitions. Now there is reason for that, but SW is a big galaxy - we don't know what Evaan went on to do, do we?

Come to think of it, the Aftermath trilogy chucked in a bundle of hanging threads, including a Pirate SSD no less, that remain untouched.

Line 1 I certainly agree with, line 2 I'm nowhere near so certain on - there'd be changes sure, but that seems a bit too drastic to me.

Oho? Interesting, that gives me a potential angle of interest on the Dameron book, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  25. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Hobbie- Maybe,
    Ventress- Definitely
    Panaka- NO

What I REALLY want is an Agent Kallus or Dr Cylo novel.