main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #50-55: Hope Dies (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 18, 2018.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    In the Seventies, Star Wars made its fortune because it WASN'T Dark and Gritty like Dirty Harry.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Why is the title of thread "Hope Burns"?
    The new arc is called "Hope Dies".

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It's just a different time now. Kids these days are watching shows like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. And they watch them right along side their parents.

Kids these days are vastly more adept at handling adult themes than they were when the OT was going on. And the programming needs to represent that.

If they try to keep making Star Wars movies and shows with '70's family Dynamics in mind it will dry up much quicker than it will if they make things the way our current society thinks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I, for one, would rather my Star Wars intake not leave me chronically depressed. I'm assuming since you mentioned Walking Dead and Game of Thrones that the adult themes you're referring to are on the darker side of the spectrum. Darker, more adult oriented =/= better. This is one reason why there was a lot of backlash against TLJ. Luke failed and became self-depreciate to the point where he became something completely different than what he was in RoTJ. That's very "adult" and half the fanbase wants to reject it. Luke is supposed to be the optimistic hero, the perfect jedi master. Life problems affecting him? Failure, regret, death? pfff.
    Violence is perfectly fine, gotta live up to the "war" in "Star Wars" after all, but as long as it's not overdone. There should be more emphasis on the action in the action/violence relationship that exists in Star Wars than violence.

revan772, Nobody145 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Star Wars Rebels is one forum over in the TV section.

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Do we not like heroism anymore?

All I'd like is the good guys to win and be decent people.

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I do like heroism. When the the heroes are decent people. That's been lacking for some Star Wars protagonists lately. As such, some fans don't overly care to see them win. That's a broad statement, but I think it's more or less correct.

revan772 likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    A lot of people had problems with TLJ because what happened in it didn't jive with what they had been dreaming up their entire lives.

Had very little to do with the adult themes that we're in TLJ and more to do with that their head canons got smashed.

Had Luke gone right through the First Order smashing everything in site until he got to Snoke probably most everyone would have loved TLJ. Would have been just as adult in nature as what we ended up getting but it would have fit in better with what people had been dreaming up since they were 10 years old.

TLJ was all about not getting what you expected. That not only went for the characters in the movie but for the audience as well.

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Regardless of anyone's feelings about TLJ, jumping to the conclusion that Star Wars is going "grimdark" based solely on the issue #50 hype text is probably more than a little premature.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's more the fact the heroes rarely seem to be doing much unlike, say, the Classic Star Wars and Marvel Comics.

Where are Luke and Leia and Han having wacky adventures?

I mean, the Screaming Citadel is disturbingly the most fun they've had adventure wise.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That was what Aaron's entire run was about was the big 3 having wacky adventures.

12. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    And I am so glad that we can move forward now.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Darth_Pevra and CooperTFN like this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I will always defend Aaron's run on the mainline comic. Characterizations were on-point, he always remembered those all-important moments of humor, and stories like "Screaming Citadel" and the criminally underrated "Last Flight of the Harbinger" were fun. Even "Yoda's Secret War" had its moments. I like Gillen and I think he'll take the mainline comic to interesting places, but I'll always miss Jason Aaron and I think he had a great run.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  14. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The Ghost crew were great protagonists, and I was so invested in their journeys and it was a great series.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm still wondering what this "epic" defeat will be. I really hope they find a way to surprise us, given we know the final outcome of the GCW. In the meantime... I'll keep praying for it to be tied to the Mid Rim Campaign... [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    They could always surprise us with something brand new. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the Rebels try something bold like attempting to sack Corellia, Kuat or some other important Imperial world within the core.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Expectations, Nick? Of Darth Gillen?

Good luck.

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Why do you say that, Ben?

--Adm. Nick

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, nothing serious - thought it was clear I was playing.

Generally, I find Gillen is very good at springing surprises in the best of ways. As to expectations, that was far more me taking the mick out of the whole 'no expectations' point that has been done to death on TLJ.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ah, I see! I've enjoyed Gillen's writing so far... I just want him paired with a better artist.

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    "So say we all!"

(Or, I'd have Larocca's previous style back.)

22. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Is the real problem is what appears to be people looking to make their mark by literally crapping on their icons?

Man of Steel caused problems but not as bad as Batman Vs Superman, TFA wasn't great but TLJ was a poor story trying to pose as something it isn't!

I really hope this isn't spreading to the comics as we already witnessed Captain Hydra I certainly hope they don't plan the same to Star Wars!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Vialco likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Those two get better when paired with Wonder Woman and Justice League, which make for a good quartet.

Hopeless likes this.
  24. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Really liked Wonder Woman, Justice League was ok can't help wondering how much Whedon helped or if Snyder might have improved though!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    DC needed to have a bit more confidence in their own take - they couldn't go the Marvel route. So they went with the 'gods among us' angle, with an emphasis on superpowers.