main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I collected a bunch of these up.

"…Honor the omnipotence of Izax, the Ultimate Devourer: father, ruler, and bringer of death to us all. His forms are infinite, but his great glory flies on serpent wings…"
    ―”The Veneration of Izax”

Izax, the Ultimate Devourer

"…Walk the path with Scyva, the Constant Companion. Wife of divine Izax and avatar of sorrow, she weeps beside those who gladly march to embrace the Ultimate Devourer…"
    ―"The Grieving of Scyva”

Scyva, the Constant Companion, wife to Ivax, the Mother of Sorrows

“...Storm the battlefield with Tyth, god of rage. The Firstborn of Izax and Scyva leads us to victory against the profane outlanders. Raise your bloodied fist and cry triumph…"
    ―"The Awe of Tyth”

Tyth, the Firstborn, God of Rage

"…Burn all doubt in the fires of Aivela, our goddess of passion. The Favored Daughter stands beside her brother Tyth on every battlefield, radiating grace to the fearless…"
    ―"The Proclamation of Aivela”

The Goddess of Passion, the favoured daughter, twin to Esne

"…Beware the shadows of Esne, goddess of envy and twin of Aivela. Forever eclipsed by her sister's incandescence, she will use her venomous tongue to test the faithful and cull the weak…"
    ―"The Admonition of Esne”

The Goddess of Jealousy, twin to Aivela

"…Bear a single torch for Nahut, the Hated Son. Gray, formless and cold, he is denied by all but the Mother of Sorrows. Do not follow him into the dark. Light the way to lead him home…"
    ―"The Lamentation of Nahut”

Nahut, the hated son, God of Darkness, Son of Shadows

Zildrog, the serpent God, is a predecessor deity, but also an aspect of Izax. Their religion also included a Demon Savior who would overthrow the pantheon, which Valkorion claimed the title of - while also describing himself as the Dragon of Zakuul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Wow, what are they from?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Old Republic game.

They’re the Gods of Zakuul. They even have a Valley they were buried in, like the Sith, but on Iokath.

Machine Sith, would be the words; it’s the Valley of the Machine Kings.

I have been preparing to update and edit the Wookieepedia but here ye go.

The Old Gods were the original pantheon of the planet Zakuul, consisting of six primary gods.

Izax, the Ultimate Devourer, was the chief deity of the pantheon, while the other members were his wife, Scyva, and their four children: Tyth, Aivela, Esne, and Nahut. The demon serpent Zildrog was another entity worshiped by the Old Ways, though Zildrog was often considered simply an aspect of Izax. Valkorion claimed to be the Demon Savior of prophecy, one who would topple the Old Gods and usher in a new era of prosperity, and worship of the Old Gods was mostly abandoned by his Eternal Empire.

The Heralds of Zildrog still followed the old ways but were considered more of a cult. They were co-opted by SCORPIO, in her guise as the Lady of Sorrows. The SCORPIO unit was a successor to the GEMINI units which were at the core of the Eternal Fleet control mechanism. The Heralds came into conflict with the Outlander, who was seeking SCORPIO as an ally, but matters settled thereafter.

However, the Old Gods origins, it was revealed, originated on the home world of the Eternal Fleet - Iokath. They were the Machine Gods which destroyed their creators, and were driven into slumber when the Gravestone defeated the Eternal Fleet over Zakuul.

It’s not complete, but similarly, if I finish it, it takes you right up to May 3rd in terms of game spoilers but you get the gist.

Similarly interestingly, however, is that the Sith ritual on Ziost birthed Monoliths, near Invincible Sithspawn.

Just as much, two Killik hives on Alderaan had Night Heralds in this era. The Night Herald is exclusively associated with Gorog and Old One aligned Nests. The Dawn Herald, however, was the Herald of Oroboro on Alderaan; a One associated hive(?)

Bloody interesting.

If anyone tried to argue with me that Vitiate was not an Old One avatar, I’d be impressed as to how they weren’t seeing the Omen-eyes on birth, the insanely powerful child, the slow acquisition of devastatingly incredible power, the galaxy turning fate, coupled with the steady increase in eldritch and Old One activity during his lifetime, let alone the preponderance of activity within the spiritual realm, to the point that the traditional rules of life and death were broken by Revan, Vitiate, and even Marr...

4. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Very interesting. Valkorion and his fully-automated fleet are pretty creepy in general. I could definitely see the head of that pantheon being a guise of the Father of Shadows.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  5. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Good catches on those Old Republic references. That game is so big, it's so difficult to keep track of all the lore within

SheaHublin and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    One does wonder if Hethrir was acting on Vader’s orders when he performs the ritual which yanks Waru from Otherspace and traps him - it feels like a trap of some kind, being as the crystal star crippled Waru...

Ruur is a Dark Nest and Rur is the name that the leader of the Terrible Glare took. Curious, no?

SheaHublin and Hamburger_Time like this.
  7. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'd imagine Palpatine would be absolutely gleeful at enslaving an Old One, and being able to use its power.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that "Crseih Station" was first moved to the Crseih system in 3 ABY - it is possible that Vader or the Emperor had it moved there in the first place in the hope of calling forth an Old One from Otherspace via sacrifices.

Maybe, after finding out about various Old One-related events (possibly including the eruption of the Wizards of the Night Spirit on Endor?), Palpatine decided to try and have one summoned up?

I would speculate that after Raygar's attempted coup in Ewoks, Palpatine had him interrogated and then executed by Cronal, and Cronal found out there about the Sunstar, the Wizards of the Night Spirit, and Otherspace, reported his findings to Palpatine, and Palpatine decided to act on them.

Maybe that's why he had the Death Star II built at Endor in the first place - because it was a site of significant arcane interest and Palpatine wanted to mix the arcane with the technological?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I suspect Cronal already knew a great deal he was not letting on, being as he was from Rhand, which originally included three Old cults...

... but I also suspect that to master the Old you needed knowledge found within the Known and Unknown.

There’s some definite correlation here. Sidious would never have accepted a place beneath the Old Ones. He would have sought to enslave one, seize one, control one. If the Stormtroopers recorded any of their confrontations with the Cult of Five or the Bedlam Spirits, Sidious has a great deal of information.

That’s adding that Sidious had stored some of the tech that Ravik used during his brief tryst with the Charon... and someone, @Thrawn McEwok, I recall, posited that the Moff Sarne of the Kathol Sector had been sent there by Palpatine, considering his original posting within the 15th Deep Core Reserve Fleet.

Add in that Tyranus was last seen with the Dark Holocron, and that Sidious likely now has it...

... and of course the simple fact that Sidious has one of the three people who knows what happened on Mortis in his employ now; Darth Vader.

Was Sidious about to make his move on Otherspace?

10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    In the canon Rebels, Palpatine refers to the Ones as the Mortis "gods".

In Legends, the Sith have gods. This goes back all the way to old Marvel Star Wars in the '70s when Vader exclaims "By the Immortal Gods of the Sith!" when Han Solo attacks him at the Battle of Yavin.

Is the Son one of the gods of the Sith?

SheaHublin and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the case of the Bedlam spirits, if one of Palpatine's archaeologists excavated an 8000 year old suit of stormtrooper armour from beneath the sands of Bedlam, I suspect any recordings on the suit's helmet data recorder would be in very poor condition. Still, every little bit helps. Perhaps, prior to dying of starvation, a trooper took a piece of their suit lining and wrote a description of the event in their own blood, and tucked it away in the suit to protect it?

In the case of the Five, I think their ship was destroyed, along with any stormtrooper corpses and their armour aboard. Though maybe Leia or Han's account of events to Rebel authorities, got taken by Imperial spies. Perhaps Shira Brie?

SheaHublin and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    For what it's worth, I still consider Dark Horse's decree back in the day that Devilworlds is non-canon as binding, seen here: http://web.archive.org/web/20031230221203/http://www.darkhorse.com:80/zones/starwars/timeline.php .

Thus the only Legends time travel is an obscure Droids comic (Threepio traveling back in time to become the Golden One) that might probably is not canon to Legends due to Leland saying that marvel was non canon unless specifically referenced in a modern eu (post thrawn) work. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_(Marvel) .

Especially in light of canon Rebels, I'd like Legends to stay time-travel free...

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Legends, the Nightsisters (Mother Talzin, at least) treat the Son and Daughter as gods - "The Fanged God" and "The Winged Goddess". They don't say anything about the Father though.

Maybe back when there was a Sith academy on Dathomir (Bane era) stuff was written down, and Mother Talzin or her ancestors, found it and put their own spin on it?
    They were more "ambiguous" than "definitely non-canon" by Wookieepedia's description. Like early Star Wars Tales in that respect. Aside from The Flight of the Falcon, most were referenced in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopaedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Classic_Star_Wars:_Devilworlds

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Maybe the Son is Typhojem?

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Ones are usually associated with the Celestials though.

I think the idea in Cult Encounters is that the Old Ones, including Typhojem, are the archenemies of the Celestials.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I was thinking more of a live feed, where Palpatine had forces chase the Rebels into these dangers, actually. Manipulating them into threats he had yet to quell. Using the enemy to kill another enemy.

The Son is not Sith, if Father’s condemnation of them is anything.

SheaHublin and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think when one of Anakin's group (possibly Anakin himself) accuses him of being Sith, he says "yes .... and no".

Given that he's worshipped as "the embodiment of the dark side" in Xendor's time, according to Arden Lyn, I could see the Sith having him in their pantheon somewhere.
    I think that's more likely for the Bedlam Spirits (since his own mentor Plagueis knew about the legends of them, and had a lab near the Bedlam pulsar) than for the Five.

Childermoss, who chased Han & Leia into the Hellhoop, was a pirate, not an Imperial captain.

Palpatine can be sneaky - but I can't see him as that much of a micromanager, in the OT era.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    ‘More than just Sith,’ argued Abeloth. Son could be very much that.

PCCViking likes this.
  19. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    If nothing else I'd assume Sheev dumped at least some credits into Old One research, simply because it'd be out of character for him NOT to...

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    He likely has the Dark Holocron... he would want to look out for threats to his ‘thousand year’ rule.

@E. L.Knight, @Darth_wanderguard...

... the Lit forums combined thoughts on the Old Ones.

PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  21. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    I shall peruse!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'd imagine that not just Sheev but the various Dark Side eggheads like Cronal and Kadann would be itching to get their hands on some Old One goodies too...

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I imagine that the Old One goodies are to Palpatine what the ancient mythical/religious artifacts were to Hitler in Indiana Jones. I mean, is it a coincidence that Walter Donovan...I mean...Julian Glover played characters that served both Palpatine and Hitler? :p

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I was terrified when Mara referred to Abeloth as an ‘old one’ in Abyss, but then in Apocalypse she calls Abeloth an Old One! Complete with Capital O’s!!!

*swoons*

[​IMG]

25. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Well done! You've actually inspired me to go combing through as many different sources as possible looking for similar references!

Same here. There's nobody else it could be.

I'm coming to see it the same- and who knows for how long the "ceaseless war" raged "from Rim to Rim" of the entire Galaxy. It could have been going on since before 200,000 BBY. Things may have only finally settled down circa 100,000 BBY.

Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.