main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I doubt he felt Luke specifically, but it's clear the Force helped him discern which option was the right one somehow. It probably just amounted to having a *feeling.*

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I haven't read Last Shot yet, but one spoiler relevant to this thread:

The capital is apparently back on Chandrila. Makes me wonder if Nakadia was a temporary home after the assassination attempt on Mon Mothma. Once the Empire falls, the government returns to Chandrila. It seems that Chandrila might be capital for a bit, as they have some pretty impressive infrastructure they've built for the government.

I'm starting to guess that capital rotations don't happen much. Hell, Chandrila and Hosnian Prime together account for +/- 10 years of the 30+ between ROTJ and TFA already.

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I feel like moving the capital is an in-universe Olympics sort of thing.

Probably also a huge drain on resources.

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Could be a 5 year rotation.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Or Chandrila won voting for capital after Nakadia expired.

Please use spoiler tags until next Tuesday, 4/23.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Or they made a mistake and forgot the capital was moved to Nakadia.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Possible. Either way, Nakadia is a boring setting for a capital or a story, so at least it's on a more familiar world. Plus I love how a world we barely saw in the old EU is getting a lot of love in the new canon.

--Adm. Nick

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Maybe they were driven off Nakadia by First Order freedom fighters.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Some NR-related, thread appropriate tidbits from Last Shot:
    • As previously mentioned, the New Republic is back on Chandrila.
    • The world has built up some impressive infrastructure for the new government, including a Senate complex and a headquarters for the NRDF. It seems that capital rotations aren't as common... or that at this point in NR history they weren't a given.
    • Leia is a senator, though still no confirmation (formally) that she represents Alderaan.
    • The New Republic Senate has a "security council". Leia is discussing fleet deployments with it.
    • Disarmament is well underway, though the level of it seems to be less publically known.
    • The NRDF is shown using "star cruisers" and "medium corvettes".
    • The book implies that disarmament is more literal (ie, removing guns from ships) and less actually scrapping hulls. This may be why the MC85 Raddus is comparatively lightly armed in TLJ.
    • Mention of multiple "fleets"... though the firepower of said fleets is questionable.
    The big takeaway for me is that disarmament may be less about hull counts and more about firepower on said hulls. I'm sure it ultimately amounts to both, but it is interesting to see an early NR that has large fleets of lightly armed vessels.

I was pleased that the NR isn't shown to be a mess. Also- one benefit of reduced military spending, according to Lando, is that New Republic designed tech is apparently very hi-tech and well built.

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmmm, it seems Mothma's pretense at giving up power was indeed a sham.....

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Jay... I thought you gave this shtick up long ago? [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    She's totally going to sit under her own vine and fig tree and have a moment alone in the shade when the time is right.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not wrong.

14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I really like this move. Makes it easier to have the Resistance not only have tons of available hulls, but also likely decent crews on them that where not in the fleet that got wrecked due to them being lightly armed. Kinda similar to the merchant fleet in the current SW arc.

15. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Always figured that after Nakadia's year-long term expired, the Senate voted to return to Chandrila again. It also meant that the planet won a second-year contract.

I find the year-by-year terms for planet rotations ridiculous, even for a galaxy far, far away. Three-four year terms for planetary capitals make more sense.

Then again, whose to say that Hosnian Prime was the New Republic capital during the entirety of the six years between Bloodline and TFA?

16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The "fleet" could very well be a Nebulon C and 1/2 dozen corvettes.

who still used it.
    I do not think he will ever completely give up his schtick....and thank you for using the word...I thought I was the only one who used it IRL.

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Cincinnatus was called to serve more than once

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Cincinnatus also enjoyed putting his thumbs on the scale. :)

It's just interesting how the capital ends up, once again, in Mon Mothma's home turf. Funny how that happens.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the "rotating capital" thing was once every 4 or 5 years, not once every year - with Last Shot taking place during the "first capital term" - which is Chandrila.

So it's not "capital has returned to Chandrila" it's "Capital has not had time to be more than one planet since the formation of the New Republic - Ben Solo was only two or so in Last Shot.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah the idea of rotating the capital every year is absurd. It would take almost that long to just get the basic processes sorted and settled.

JediBatman and AusStig like this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Was the Senate on Chandrila?

I took it that the Senate and executive could separate for some reason. Mon Mothma was based on Chandrila for most of Aftermath III even when the Senate had moved to Nakadia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    So if I've got this right . . .

After the Battle of Endor, Chandrilla is the New Republic capital. Then about a year later Nakadia is the capital (Battle of Jakku is also about a year later).. Then *two* years after the Battle of Jakku, the capital is back on Chandrilla. And if that isn't confusing enough. Hosnian Prime is the capital both 6 years before TFA, and during the events of TFA.

I called it when this idea of a rotating capital was first introduced: This going to be one of those "continuity error magnets". Like Han Solo constantly running into bounty hunters on Ord Mantell, Lando constantly losing the Falcon to Han, the Death Star Plans being stolen over a dozen times, or Boba Fett falling in and out of the Sarlacc repeatedly, this is something that will never be consistent author to author.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    In Aftermath: Empire's End, it's mentioned that, at the time anyway, they vote on the capital every year. So after Nakadia's year ended, the obvious conjecture is that the Senate voted to move the capital back to Chandrila.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I like the IU-concept behind rotating the capital among member worlds. If executed properly (OOU), we could get to see a lot of cool worlds get the spotlight. The first strike was Bloodline, which had Hosnian Prime the capital several years before TFA. Actually... I can forgive that one, as it allowed us to see the world developed a bit. Strike two is in Last Shot, where they move back to Chandrila without any explanation.

Don't get me wrong- all of this is easy to explain/fix/retcon.

I'd love to see the New Republic based on Rim worlds too. Lothal would be cool, plus have neat symbolism for the government.

--Adm. Nick

Shadowrain10 and Sinrebirth like this.
  25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    If they move that often I wonder if most of the infrastructure is actually on some ships and they just park above the planet in question

JediBatman likes this.