main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean we don't have to speculate very much they've made two movies about this.

2. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    No. but when they haven't said anything relevant it means they havent said anything relevant

Not sure what you mean. Speculate about what? We're talking about it because they've made 2 movies about it, and speculating about the 3rd.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I disagree with your position that nothing relevant was said, you're just ignoring what doesnt suit your point of view. Especially the qualitative differences between the circumstances of Rey refusing Kylo and Anakin killing Dooku *at Palpatine's behest.*

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    The point is the PT gives very clear signs throughout that Anakin will turn to the dark side, starting with the Jedi council refusing to train him in TPM, then in AOTC he gives into anger and slaughters a whole turkey village.

With the ST, we’ve had two movies so far, and really no suggestions that Rey will turn to the dark side. I think their is far more suggesting that she will remain with the light.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    No I'm really not. The only "point of view" I have is that Rey is still susceptible to the dark side and she hasn't turned away from it forever on the basis of 2 films that took place over a week or 2. Nothing has been said that remotely disputes that, if you think it has, then that's fine. I can't imagine why you would but I'm not going to try to change your mind if it isn't already obvious to you.
    Still not relevant to anything I've said. I'm not saying "she will turn to the dark side, all of the signs are there". I never said it's more likely than her staying on the light side. I'm saying it's a possibility, and it would make sense because there have been plenty of signs that she is particularly susceptible.

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    lol that’s not how relevance works. things don’t become irrelevant just because you don’t agree with them.

What are these plenty of signs that suggest Rey is susceptible to the dark side?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    This is getting ridiculous. I haven't disagreed with any of the things you've said. They are all pretty much true. But they not relevant to anything I'm saying, as I clearly explained in my previous post. I can't figure out why this is so hard to understand

8. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Palpatine was the Chancellor of the Republic and had emergency powers, and gave Anakin an order. While obviously Anakin did wrong, it's clear he was acting legally (for whatever that's worth).

And knowing what we do about the Hutts and their laws, we can probably assume that the Tuskens had absolutely no legal status on Tatooine and even if Anakin went to the Hutt rulers and admitted what he did, they probably wouldn't care.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yes, which is Palpatine's whole deal. He is a Sith Lord which is why he's enjoining Anakin into giving into his worst impulses.
    what
    I mean I don't think Kylo Ren's conflict and inability to be as evil as he wants to be are in question. I think you elucidated a lot of great points about Kylo, but I'm surprised you had to.

EmperorHorus likes this.
  10. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I'm surprised I've had to elucidate a lot of things in this thread

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  12. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I mean I'm not saying that Rey definitely will go Dark and/or Kylo will go Light, I still think it's unlikely that the film makers will go that way, but thinking that there's no way it could happen because "Kylo is too far gone" or "Rey has defeated her Dark Side temptation forever" (despite knowing about the force for like a week) is just inconceivable to me. Like really baffling.

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Tatooine in Galactic Battlegrounds. The Hutt government actually tells Echuu to wipe out a Tusken village, and it's been a while since I played the game but I don't think the game says "Let the children and women live" or whatever.

So by Legends canon, it really seems Hutt law doesn't apply to Tuskens...

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm more confused as to why it could possibly matter.

15. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I don't get why we're talking about Hutt law either. Or what legality of any sort has to do with this

BobaMatt likes this.
  16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Well, you said:
    So saying she's halfway there is kinda suggesting "all of the signs are there" and it's a path she's actually walking along currently, rather than just "well it's a possibility she might start". That seems to be what people are arguing about.

17. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    This is like turning off A New Hope right after the binary sunset and condemning Luke then and there because he's a dreamer who will never be able to be a real hero.
    I've shut the door in someone's face before. Call the police cuz apparently that is exactly the same as murdering them.

Senator Wan and Vthuil like this.
  18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    See my follow up post. It was a play on the other poster's words. Im not saying shutting a door is murder. Im saying turning down a darksider doesn't give you immunity. Read all my posts for context, especially since my explanation was posted many hours before your response.

Also considering how shattered luke was in 8, it does feel he didn't understand how bad things really would get. It calls to mind im not afraid, you will be. And he was very afraid in 8, he ran on seeing reys power and said so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Vialco likes this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Turning down a dark sider is not what Anakin did. He was manipulated by a dark sider against another dark sider. Which is different. As if to underscore this very point, Anakin's actual words right before he kills Dooku are, "I shouldn't. It's not the Jedi way." He is given Luke's decision from RotJ and makes the opposite one. Obviously saying "No" doesn't give you immunity, but the differences between these situations are significant.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    By the Force it was a play on words! Can someone PLEASE delete my post now so people can stop taken it out of context? If I knew it would be like this I never would have posted it. Especially after I already wrote 2 follow up explanations and people still think it's some endorsement of killing Dooku...

Here's my example. Luke turns down the Dark Side and Vader in ESB. Does anyone think in ROTJ he now has some automatic immunity to the dark side? No.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just going to throw this in:

Was helping a colleague at work, she came out with this phrase and I was so tempted to use the line:

Amazing. Every word in that sentence was wrong.

At some point I will, but not today. If nothing else, TLJ has given me that.

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Luke chides the Jedi on his hubris and says they need to be different. So what does he do? Create a very arrogant-sounding quote as his new catchphrase...[face_sigh]

It's not the wise patient words like "What you said isn't quite right. We'll get it right together. Here's how it works. The Force is an energy field that binds us, etc."

Having studied all the way to graduate education, done research work at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, and getting a professional license, the best teachers I had spoke like the latter and the worst spoke like the former. Those teachers aren't interested in teaching, just in looking superior.

The PC games Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy have a better portrayal of Luke as a teacher than this latest movie... Too bad Mark turned down or wasn't available for these games, because I'd have loved to hear him voice that Luke Skywalker.

Vialco likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ye ****ing gods.... Well, there's my answer for why I don't post much in this thread.

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Sorry, no offense intended to you if you like the quote. I was criticizing the writers, not you...

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, maybe you should have made that clearer. I intended that as a light, fun post but hey, by all means let the deathmatch resume.

Jedi Princess likes this.