main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GAVs Junkie Base- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Armored Cavalry thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    A bit like an AT-Technical.

Long Snoot likes this.
  2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    But, that's still different roles. The SPMA/SPHA are primarily direct-fire mobile guns (in canon), the AT-AP has a variety of cannons for handling anti-infantry, direct-sight targets and long-range, indirect targets (the mass driver cannon). This AT-DT might be for long-range shelling, given the main gun moves up and down in the trailer, and not meant for close-range fighting, which the AT-AP is called to do (ROTS).

3. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    But as you said the AT-AP's two heavy weapons allowed it to be used against a variety of targets (close and long range) which, along with the light anti-infantry cannon (which seems like a strange omission for a light open-walker cockpit) make it a more versatile weapon. I suppose the smaller size and higher mobility could prove being a major advantages tho, and I guess we'll see in the movie.
    Anyhow, as I posted on the capital ships thread, several vehicles (not the AT-DT unfortunately) just got a few more pictures and details. Trast Heavy Transports is pretty cool reference, and the Conveyex may be my favourite new imperial design in canon.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  4. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It's like a mobile gun, with the same open cockpit like the towed guns irl. At least that is what the obvious influence seems to be.

Long Snoot likes this.
  5. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Now that you make me think about it, the walker may actually be more of a spiritual successor of the AV-7 artillery cannon from The Clone Wars. I would really like to see it ducking in order to fire.
    [​IMG]

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You know, I've been thinking... Not matter how much I enjoy new creations/recanonizations (ships or other vehicles), it's also very frustrating that, most of the time, they're very unlikely reappear after their introduction. (Unless they were introduced on screen, in which case they'll be retroactively shoehorned everywhere.) Let's have a compassionate thought for those canon army vehicles we'll probably never see again:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I WAITED SIX EFFING YEARS TO SEE A TX-130 IN TCW AND FILONI BETRAYED ME
    I will never not be mad at this, the Occupier Assault Tank does not compensate for it at all.

[​IMG]

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The TX-130 might have been considered for EA's BF2, it is referenced as a single line in a vehicle game file.

What could have been, *sigh*

Long Snoot likes this.
  9. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I want to see a full size of that Imperial AAT. I like the idea of backwater worlds garrisons taking old CIS and Republic gear and 'Imperializing' it when they run out of modern tech.

10. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    To be honest that imperial AAT is one huge disgrace compared to the original design. The added bulk doesn't even serve to make it look more imperial, it just looks bloated.

Well, it did appear in the Clone Wars Adventures online game. :cool: Apart from that I agree, it was kind of disappointing to see such as supposed common republic tank so seldomly used. However pretty much every playable appearance since The Clone Wars was disappointing given how much less maneuverable and powerful the tank has been portrayed in the Battlefront games (although the one from the first game is still pretty cool and useful). But I guess by that logic even the original appearance was flawed given the fact that it was lacking the twin laser cannons...

Regarding the Occupier Assault Tank I'm really disappointed that so far it has always been shown as a cargo carrier, regardless of logic. In a strict combat environment they should have put a turret on there. Right now it seems more like an assault gun.

If I'm not mistaken, the TPM novelization included a mention of captured Trade Federation tanks being used in the Naboo's victory parade.

11. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Where did that Imperial AAT appear?

12. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    MrDarth0 likes this.
  13. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    About the AT-DT:
    Turns out we barely even get to see them in the movie. They look more like long-range weapon platforms than proper artillery weapons (which in a way makes sense given their size and bipedalism) and someone who somehow got an early copy of the UVG confirms they are called "All Terrain Defense Turrets".
    While I'm still not a big fan of the design I think it blends in perfectly with the WW I/II style of the battle of Mimban, those scenes are some of my favourites of the entire movie.
    Did anyone understand how exactly are they attached to Y-45 "AT-Haulers"? It didn't look like they were carried by cables like the Conveyex's container to me.
    EDIT: the best comparison I can think of for the AT-DT is a mobile AT-AT chin cannon.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  14. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Ragarding the AT-AP:

An anon added it as having appeared in Solo on Wookieepedia. Did anyone else catch this?

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  15. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    No, I do not think so. I think he may have mistaken an AT-DT for one (long cannon in the front, AT-AT/TE styled feet, angled front...).

16. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks! I would have loved to see some Clone Wars-era artillery in the movie, but I guess not. The editor's description makes it clear he mistook an AT-DT for an AT-AP.

Long Snoot likes this.
  17. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    There is some pretty cool concept art in the Art of Solo book. Don't know if it is spoiler worthy, but just in case:

I still have to read through it all, but there was a new Imperial tank that I wish would have made it into the movie, unless I just missed it. I loved all of the Mimban stuff from the movie, just wish we could have seen even more action. Some of the concept art looks almost Warhammer 40K like, the Stormtroopers even look like Space Marines a little. Not that I want Star Wars to be that gritty and dark, but I love when influences like that make their way into Star Wars, a good old epic war tale.

18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
  19. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Just like the TX-225 uses the Alvis Stormer APC's chassis, they used a real 88mm german Flak as a reference:
    [​IMG]
    Cool design, really fits with the rest of what we see on Mimban. My only complaint is that I still wish it wasn't open on the sides (two closed "cockpits on the sides of the cannon would have been great), especially seems it doesn't really act as long-range artillery in the movie.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I think it is supposed to be, given we never really see the enemy in any of the scenes. It's almost the reverse of Hoth, where you could see the battlefield miles away.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  21. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Isn't the SB-920 based on the same gun?

22. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    I think they willingly hidden the Mimbanites to enhance the sense of confusion during the battle. I originally thought they were supposed to be very far away, but then it wouldn't really make sense to make the mudtroopers advance in the open like that. Also, we see some of them use their own weapons, even (probably) inaccurate ones like that rotary gun. I really hope we'll get a better look at the battle of Mimban in the future, the usage of walkers, TIE air support and even destroyers makes me think those Mimbanites may be better equipped than we'd think.

I don't think they've used the actual prop in ANH but the inspiration is clearly there. I originally tought the AT-DT mounted one, just like the AT-IC Kenner concept.

23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Here's a better look at the AT-DT, taken from the official Databank.

Height: 9.11m
    "A stout two-legged walker, the All Terran Defense Turret, or AT-DT, is a mobile artillery piece designed to protect infantry and Imperial installations during ground combat. The AT-DT’s head is protected by extra layers of armor plating and shielding against artillery flashback."

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Found this artist who worked on ROTS vehicles and ships, T.J. Frame. Has some cool designs beyond those seen in the film itself. For instance, the two-man open walker is seen in comics and WOTC RPG game. http://tjframe.net/sw-episode-iii-1/

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I found two more promotional artworks of the AT-DT walker from Solo. They look sweet.

Concept art?
    Toybox art.