main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta: The Han Solo Adventures

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Feb 19, 2018.

?

Which book should we read next?

1. Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Leia: Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. No Prisoners by Karen Traviss

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Cloak of Deception by James Luceno

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Hey everyone. Starting up a thread for the next book club reading. So this time around I'm changing it up a bit and using my executive powers to chose what we are reading, and I'm picking the Han Solo Adventures, a trilogy of books by Brian Daley. I'm doing this for a few reasons:

1. I thought this would be fun with the Han Solo movie coming up.
    2. I want to see how this works doing a trilogy, in case we want to explore doing this again in the future.
    3. I'm including the poll for the next book with this post so that people will have longer to vote. I've had a few people ask to keep the polls open longer so I thought keeping it open until the current book is finished would be the best way to do that.

[​IMG]
    The Han Solo Adventures are three books: Han Solo at Stars' End, Han Solo's Revenge, and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy. They first two were released way back in 1979 with the third coming out in 1980. These were the first EU books for a lot of Star Wars fans, as only Splinter of the Mind's Eye precedes them. Han Solo's Revenge was actually one of the first Star Wars books I read, after Tales from Jabba's Palace and the Thrawn trilogy.

All three books are available in one collection on Amazon (with the cover posted above) and other sellers for a very reasonable price. You can also track down some used copies of each book individually online or probably at usedbook stores. And please don't forget about your local library!!

So, the way I would like to do this is start off with At Star's End and progress through the books in order. If you'd like to participate but not sure you want to read all three books that is fine, but if you don't want to start until the 2nd or 3rd book I will ask you to refrain from commenting until we get to that book. If you start late and we are on the 2nd or 3rd book already but you want to talk about the 1st (or 2nd), go right ahead! I just don't want to spoil anything by discussing the books we haven't gotten to yet. Also, I know a lot of people have already read these books multiple times, so if you fall into this category please join the discussion as well, even if you don't plan on reading them again.

So if you have At Stars' End, go ahead and start reading/discussing. Everyone else track down your copies and get to reading!

I don't think I need to worry about posting decorum rules at this point, just always remember:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    whostheBossk and BookExogorth like this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    @heels1785 can you sticky this one and unsticky the Lost Stars thread please?

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I reread those a couple of weeks ago. Still good. But one thing stands out (since I was reading Crispin's trilogy as well) - Daley Han doesn't talk as much like movie Han as Crispin Han does.

He says "isn't" instead of "ain't" and virtually never abbreviates his words - no " 'em " or "travellin' " or anything like that.

4. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Is Maul's worth the read! :) Love the dude.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it. If you want to support reading it next, vote in the poll.

If you want to propose adding a different book to the poll (this poll, or maybe the poll for the next Club Jocasta thread when it comes up) - this is the thread for adding books to polls:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/club-jocasta-recommendations-for-next-book-s.50045933/

6. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Thanks for the information :). And yeah Mauls story from TPM to Rebels is interesting.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Shadow Hunter is, however, not that - it's set shortly before TPM.

The Sith Hunters is the Legends comic covering (in flashback) the immediate aftermath of Maul's falling into the pit in TPM. TCW, Son of Dathomir, Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy, and part of The Wrath of Darth Maul, are your go-tos for post-TPM Maul.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
  9. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
  10. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Okay so vote for the next book and let's continue some discussion.

Iron Lord brings up something to look at while reading these stories, and that's comparing Han in these books to how he is portrayed in the movies and in future media. Keep in mind there was only one movie when these were written so it's interesting to see how he ends up comparing to what we get in Empire, Jedi, and even TFA.....not to mention the plethora of canon and Legends material he would later appear in. Just something to think/talk about as we make our way through these books.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute. Never read Han Solo Adventures and probably never will.

12. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I know a couple of people have mentioned to me there are going to get to this or will add their thoughts later, but I'm going to go ahead and talk a bit about At Star's End since I'm finished with it. Honestly, I still liked it just as well as I remembered it. It's a story that really feels for the most part like it could fit into the Star Wars universe, which is a little surprising considering when it was written. Han and Chewie are both written pretty close to character, with some slight differences that Iron Lord mentioned before. I liked how much the story shows the close friendship of Han and Chewie. Several times Han is ready to die for his friend and vice versa. The side characters introduced in the story all work pretty well. The Trianni duo become a nice support system in Han's scheme along with the 2 droids; Bollux and Max.

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Oooh, this is a rare Legends book I've not read, so Club Jocasta and the upcoming movie(2 months from today you guys!) will be a good motivator.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    My semester just ended, so I think I'm going to finally dive into these. Pulpy paperback Han Solo stories should make for perfect poolside summer reading.

cubman987 likes this.
  15. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    You should! I'm got sidetracked a bit but am about 3/4 through Han Solo's Revenge. These older books are great, they fit into the universe just fine for the most part but there is still something about them that you can just tell they were written in the 70's/80s - and I love that.

whostheBossk and PymParticles like this.
  16. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I finished reading this a while ago and never posted my final thoughts - sadly this thread never really took off either - if anyone else ended up reading one or more of these please share your thoughts!

I think Lost Legacy is my favorite of the three - now anyways - I seemed to remember Revenge more so than the other two. I think I liked Legacy better because it's a bit of a treasure hunt, has some fun side characters, and wraps up some threads from the previous books. All three books are still really solid additions to the Legacy books and hold up really well I think. I think the characterization of Han is mostly solid throughout and his relationship with Chewie as well.

Anyways - I'm going to post an announcement about the next book (Leia: Princess of Alderaan) along with another announcement later today. I'm going to keep this thread open for a while longer in case anyone else wants to post their thoughts.

17. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
  18. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    I wish I'd known about this thread earlier. My library has the vintage Han Solo trilogy, and I'd bet they're still sitting there.

Would it be OK if I skipped to Legacy and caught up to you after you've started Princess of Alderaan?

19. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm leaving the thread open for a while - so please feel free to pick them up and read all 3 if you want!

Ava G. likes this.
  20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    This encourages me to get out my Han Solo (Daley Trilogy) series. I have this on kindle.

EDIT: This could become a "Summer of Han Solo" for me......I'm going to dig out my Corporate Sector Source Book from WestEnd Games.

Alethea McGrath [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Amon_Amarth and cubman987 like this.
  21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Alright, read this on a flight a week before Solo was released, but forgot to post.

Here's a few thoughts.
    Through my early days of the Star Wars fandom, I read later books, as well as many WEG and WOTC sourcebooks before reading the Han Solo books. Same as with the Lando Calrissian Adventures which I only read a few years back, it was a pure delight and a throwback to the good ol' days of RPGing in GFFA. The dose of swashbuckling was [chef's kiss], and it reads like an hommage to pirate-y / pulpy adventures. There is less gritty Underworld than what I expected from reading the later smuggler-focused novels. The only unappealing thing were the minor "love" plotlines / seductions, e.g. Fiolla (of course he gets a holostar entangelment). I understand that this was the days while the trope was fresh I guess, but Fiolla has little depth besides being a dumb Bond girl. Han is a mess, and has always been a mess. Never understood why the authors wanted to push him into a Cassanova-type character.
    Lost Legacy was the slowest to get through for me, but not too bad.

What did people think of the Corporate Sector? Now that I think about it, cause we're in the Prequels forum, it was never really well featured in the PT, which is a shame.

In light of Solo, I absolutely adored all the Legends lore that ended up being included in the film. It certainly had a vibe of old Bantham-era novels. So glad I read this beforehand.

Definitely on board for Leia Princess of Alderaan.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    cubman987 likes this.
  22. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I had forgotten going into these books that the Corporate Sector were the "villains" kind of throughout instead of just the Empire. If they had been written at a later time I wonder how that might have changed...but they served their purpose in the stories as sufficiently corrupt while not all totally evil.

You're also right about the female characters and serving mostly as love interests - definitely weaker parts of the books but not really surprising given when they were written.

Also I'm glad I re-read this before Solo came out - I wouldn't have caught as many of the little nods in the film without doing so!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Amon_Amarth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.