main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Please no. Rogue One was creepy and unnatural and I don't want any more of it.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

V-2 likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So what's the best website to go to to see the latest 'scoops' and 'rumors'? Something like Makingstarwars was back in the day for TFA?

I don't even care if it has a good track record, I just like being able to see the latest rumors.

DelRiego likes this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, sadly, nowhere really. Makingstarwars has pretty much been silenced for the most part, and anything you find on Reddit is rubbish. Security seems to have been tightened since TFA.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I always stayed away from makingstarwars cuz it was too spoilery for my tastes but have they not been getting any info? When did that happen?

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    After TFA and some early Rogue One stuff, they essentially stopped getting the early scoops they had been getting in 2013-15. I don't know if it's because their sources stopped sending them stuff or if it was a deliberate choice on behalf of the site owners but since 2016 it's basically moved from being a rumor/spoiler site to being a navel-gazing promotion site for the owners' voluminous podcast network.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't say you've anything to worry about.

Those couple of mins of Tarkin and Leia on R1 took months and cost a bomb to craft. I doubt they have enough time or money to even consider it to a major extent.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    After BvS I can't shake the thought of Holly Hunter doing it. She's got enough of a look of Carrie about her that it wouldn't feel too jarring and she sounds (at least to my English ear) extremely similar.

But AFAIK the powers that be have already made up their minds so whatcanyado.

Seems pretty daft when we all know that we'll eventually get a new twenty-something Leia in some spin-off or another, but whatever.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    connor413 and Hamburger_Time like this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Good gravy, were the spoilers on Reddit even up to a few weeks before TLJ rubbish. There were several different sources confirming and re-affirming that Hux and DJ died, and the Leia-dies-after-a-coma was going around until right before opening day. I went into the film thinking all three would probably die, that Phasma would live, and I wasn't sure about Luke because the rumored Luke death seemed to be the battiest (alas, the Force works in batty ways).

9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    "Originally intended" is a slight farce though considering the supposed carte blanche given to each writer.

I also think the best way to pay tribute is to leave her with that last line of (English) dialogue and let the character live forever. Conveniently, the baton was passed in the last 5 minutes of the film anyway.

BigAl6ft6, Dr. Steve Brule and Kylun like this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'm sure Billy Dee feels this way about the Sequel Trilogy, too:

MrDarth0 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I actually don't mind if the plot says Leia stepped back and handed it off to Poe because Last Jedi does pretty much that with her "What are you looking at me for? Follow him!" and with Leia's smile that she's okay and approves of it. She's basically in Poe's grill at the start of the movie and demotes him BECAUSE she wants him to be better, which he does when he starts thinking big picture in the end.

Now the real question is, are we going to have General Poe Dameron who also happens to pilot on the front lines? I could deal with that.

And Poe is going to be dead by the end, JJ really wants to kill him!

And I also read a quote from John Boyega (rampant speculation afoot!)

that he said he's growing out his hair. Which means time skip! At least that's how one would interpret it, why would his hair be longer if not a (maybe significant) time has passed since Last Jedi? So yay I think it makes more sense to have a time skip from Last Jedi to Episode IX anyway. Now if only they'll actually put out a year of post TLJ/pre Ep IX content!

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    So given Barriss's warnings about Reddit, I just came across this guy who claims to have read an early storyboard for IX. I only link to it here (other than the fact that it's not like I'm interrupting any ongoing discussion) because the same poster, back in December 2015, made a similar post claiming to have read an early storyboard for VIII, and in retrospect, he definitely seems to. With the caveat that 1) it was definitely an early TLJ story because it still had the concepts that the Art of TLJ states were only considered early on, and 2) he confused a number of things (for example, assuming the First Order land assault on a Resistance base was D'Qar, not another world).

So I would consider this guy to be generally legitimate, but only in that whatever he saw was probably not the finished idea, and that he's probably mixing up stuff accidentally. Whether it backs up his credibility or not, there is one general idea there that's recycled from an unused TFA idea, and we know how much they like to mine unused concepts:
    Rey going to an underwater structure.

DelRiego likes this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    As desperately awful as it sounds, a part of me wants it to be 100% accurate so I can revel in the ridiculousness of people bending over backwards in its defense.

fett 4, Dr. Steve Brule and Havac like this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  15. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    What's this from?

16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Isn't Leia only like 53 in TLJ?

Why are they all acting like Han, Luke and Leia are 'ancient' in the ST?

Especially with the technology available in the GFFA (plus Leia being super strong in the Force), 53 should be nothing.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Shhhhh stop trying to be realistic! We all need to keep believing old Ben Kenobi was the most ancient being in the galaxy next to Yoda at the venerable age of 60-something (looks at Wookieepedia)... er... 57. Yes, that most advanced age of 57.

18. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    With old Ben you could at least play the angle of him living on a harsh desert planet as a hermit for 19 years, but with Princess/Senator/General Leia...

19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    This is all the more egregious when you remember Dooku was over 80 years old at the time of the Clone Wars.

20. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    The fact that one of the wealthiest men in the galaxy was thriving in his eighties says nothing about the life expectancy of a woman who has lost multiple families, an entire planet, and spent half her life as an underground freedom fighter.

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Alec Guinness was only five years older than his character when he filmed ANH; Carrie Fisher was only six years older than Leia when filming TLJ. With everything the characters have been through, it's very easy to justify both of them looking a little older than their actual ages would suggest.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Obi-Wan spent 20 years living in a hut in a desert infested by monster raider tribes. Leia spent four years on the run in her early 20s, and then six years in her late forties, and was at the absolute height of the galactic elite for the entire rest of her life.

I mean, you could make a passable argument that Leia even had a much better family/home life than Carrie did. Plus, I'm going to guess that Leia didn't do quite as much 'spice' as Carrie.

23. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    There's no reason to think she's talking about dying of natural causes, though. Everybody she came up with is gone now; how much longer does she think she can beat those odds?

24. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yup, the new material has really painted her struggling to keep fighting in this era, precisely because it means she's having to essentially fight the Galactic Civil War all over again, except she's thirty years older this time and she's already suffered so many losses. Now she's lost her husband and brother in a span of days. She's also not been living in luxury since founding the Resistance. This is a war she doesn't want to fight.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Well, Leia does have that family history of dying from a broken heart... If Leia were Padme, she'd have dropped dead the moment she heard Ben turned to the dark side.