main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Ewok Poet is a genius with teenage angst =D= =D= I have an idea - a springboard type thing. Maybe make it a gift that she was given a datapad to keep a journal in and she's thinking "What the kark can I put in here?" :rolleyes: And then she starts to rant over jerkface and then gush over dreamy dude. [face_thinking] [face_laugh]

If you want a stellar example of jerkface it's Porfozald Marballees! :eek:

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I thought @Ewok Poet would have some input, but she hasn't surfaced yet. :D

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Whatever you want, I'm here. :D

And...ha! I knew the singer was Albanian before I even googled her. They have such specific last names and spelling, since their language is related to no other in Europe. :) That and watching news in Albanian for no apparent reason as a toddler. O_O

Porfy-love should NOT be allowed to reproduce. For some bizarre reason, I want him to survive the genocide on Lasan, and then become...I dunno, a clown?!

And thank you. Here's an example from my diary at the age of 19.

Sometimes I think I should really give up on this planet. I was meant to live totally alone, without anybody. I have had one of worst days in my life ever...and it's just because I am what I am, which obviously sucks. People are not good, but I guess I'm even worse. Everything started tonight when I thought I was doing something really nice and polite....in the meatime, I accidentally lost my megabook and now I have to start all over again and, somehow, I am never lucky with guestbooks, people are not signing them at all. Great.

I went to bed after 3 AM and I woke up at seven. The milk was cold although the mug was warm, and after that I decied to walk to the uni to wake up...it helped, but I realized that it was stupid of me to wear a cap, long socks and coat because it was so warm....the first lesson was OK, I actually said something, for the first time since we have started the school year. Yau, I am improving. After that class, I went to taek my bus card...but there were 300 people waiting in line before me. I gave up. I went to my mom's office to take off the double socks and then I ended up in the library eating and talking to Mirela.

The lexicology class started a couple of hours later and, look, this time I was actually sitting on a normal place with Sofija. At the end of the class, I went to see the list for seminar works...to see who has chosen what. Una was standing in front of me and I heard her say :"Yuck, but EP is in that group and I don't want to work with her!" Then she turned around and saw me. She didn't know what to say and she said something stupid. I was pissed off. Reallt. When we were going out of the clasroom I saw her foot...and I couldn't resist, so I stepped on it! Gosh, I was such a *****! But it felt soooooo good! Am I changing to a *******? Hope not....I was just returning what I had to.

I always had it in me. :eek:

And yeah, I censored the word that stands for a female dog and the word that stands for a child whose father is unknown. AND KEPT ALL THE TYPOS.

[face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for sharing, EP. It makes me wonder if as a male, I have any business writing diary entries for a teenage girl. I can only imagine. It was weird enough for me at that age, but... Teen years are hard on everyone regardless of popularity. I'm going to give it a try though.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    For as long as you leave out the stuff a man does not know much of, I think you'll be fine. I wrote a diary of a 17/18-year-old at the age of 34 last year and I was already done at about this time, mid-April. Once it starts flowing, it's addictive.

And yeah, I have samples considerably worse than that one.

Kahara likes this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Was your Mom's office at the uni'?

Otherwise, a long way to go to take your socks off.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    50-100 metres away, around the corner. :) And they were thighs, I didn't know that word when I was 19.

8. aldo405

aldo405 Jedi Padawan

Feb 23, 2018
    That's definitely an interesting conundrum. Back in my last life writing SW stuff over a decade ago, having to write some mechanical scene to transition from one place or another would cause some major writer's block and delays (especially for action scenes, which I've always found difficult). Now doing this again for the first time in years, I guess if I'm struggling with inspiration or whatever for a certain scene or two, I just skip it and try to mention and describe it in passing. Same thing with trying massive descriptions on settings, like a room, or what the characters are wearing, or all those minute details that the great writers are able to master. Same as above, I'll just skip it since I figure I'm not writing a novel or anything like that, just doing this for fun/some odd compulsion, so no need to torture myself while doing so.

I actually had a couple of longer stories in a saga I planned in my head way back in the day, 4 in the series. 1 and 3 I had a very good idea of what I wanted to do...the inspiration was there, but the entire second story in that saga served purely to connect the dots; probably one of the reasons I ended up abandoning that one early on in that part 2 (though I also left the ff world for 10 years around that time as well, so I guess a chicken or the egg thing).

9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Kahara and aldo405 like this.
  10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I hope this is the place to get some assist Legends/NuCanon timeline assist.

TLJ - 34 ABY
    Nu Canon - Rey is born 15 ABY making her 19 for Eps. VII and VIII. Correct?
    Legends - Ben Skywalker born 26 ABY making him only 8 years old at the time of TLJ. Right?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Yeah, though if you go for a crossover you can have either Ben´s birth happen earlier or TLJ/Reys brith happen later, and even kinda justify it in the timeline. Maybe Luke and Mara met/fell in love/had Ben much earlier given that the empire was defeated ealier as well. Or say that Kylo was born/betrayed the Jedi later, to fit with Bens birth date(though it would kinda open the question why both Han and Leia, as well as Luke and Mara give their child the exact same name). Given that we know, so far pretty much nothing about Reys parents I guess adjusting Reys bithdate wouldn´t cause many problems either.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Anedon -- my favorite kind of mash up where L/M happen anyway. [face_love]

My question is: what are Lasat refugees likely to be doing post Endor especially those who had special roles on Lasan, e.g., Honor Guard? ;) [face_dancing] !!!!

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    A good question. There's always the possibility of Lira San, of course, which has been "on the radar" for some years by that point (Zeb being kind of the ambassador figure, as he says at the end of "Legends of the Lasat"). Former Honor Guards could also make worthy additions to the New Republic military, of course. I must say I'd be curious to hear more about your plans in this department. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Findswoman - thanks. That's what I was thinking too. My idea is a delightful spin off of "Three Strands" [face_love] and my lovely latest challenge prompt. ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, what do you do when you have 40 plot bunnies? O_O

Four of them are the existing longfics in progress, four multi-posts to finish (one might be abandoned because it no longer makes sense and I feel bad about it, since the story won awards) and the drabble thread. The others are...well, various stuff, including things that might not be written before 2021. :p

Kyber Acyk and Kahara like this.
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Okay. I am back on REBELS and will be completing the series. I am currently nearing the end of S3 and feel I am am being sucked back in despite my desire to step away. It appears some of my initial S3 reservations were ill founded. I really like Hera. She has my attention as a writer and seeing more of the series should make my characterization stronger. I think it's commonly understood that Kana is 'dad', Hera is 'mom', and the rest are their 'kids'? Right? :kanan::hera::sabine::zeb::ezra::chopper:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  17. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    My biggest fear would be forgetting something. So I would write them down in as much detail as possible, then make a list and triage them.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Write them how you see them. There are no standards. :)

Good idea!

19. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Good advice, EP. That's one way to look at them. One of the ways I find inspiration is to look at Saturday Evening Post covers from the past. they are a good look at Americana. There are a lot of different scenes presented from American life in the Golden years through the early 60s. Norman Rockwell was a prolific cover artist for TSEP. I have a couple of painting on on tap for Kanera vigs coming up. Both feature a wife/mother in a domestic setting. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] On Kanera -- I heard them referred to as Space Mom and Dad in various fic threads and now ^:)^ that's how I see them because they took Sabine, Zeb, and Ezra from diverse situations and with such contrasting temperaments and wove them together into a cohesive caring family/team. [face_love] And Chopper [face_laugh] -- he's in a category all his own. [face_mischief]

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can you elaborate on...any of this? I am lost.

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    It's simply to say that, like word prompts, I used old magazine covers to inspire my writing sometimes. But mostly the covers are from a specific magazine that ran from the 1920s to the early 1960s or later. I was going to use one for a Kanera story, but, for now, I went a different direction.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'd probably use the 1940s or 1990s in that case myself.

Findswoman and brodiew like this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So here’s a little question about story genres, classifications, etc. that I found myself wondering about the other day: what, if anything, distinguishes a crack!fic from just a plain old humorous story? Where is the line drawn? Inquiring minds are curious to know... [face_thinking]

Kahara, pronker and Sith-I-5 like this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The term crack fic comes from someone saying something along the lines of "you must have been smoking crack when you wrote that" implying it is so out there or over the top it's above and beyond another descriptor. But I think it's a personal thing, that line is obviously different for everyone. There are also crack ships, so I don't think something that is a crack fic has to be humorous to be a crack story, though it seems that the majority seem to be.

Kahara, Tarsier, pronker and 3 others like this.